Dodge Stratus The Dodge Stratus. Whether you've got a sedan or coupe, base model or R/T, theDodge Stratus has winning looks and thrilling performance.

Runs good, starts hard, check engine

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2012, 08:29 AM
Rocket67
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by traxxasx
200 is A rip off shoot I will send you a good one for 100, just didnt know if you wanted it or not? I'd your super desperate eBay has better deals. But I can get you a PCM for about 100 shipped I found a few at the local yard "not the 10$ one" so there about 60$
How would I get it programmed?

Old 08-05-2012, 01:52 PM
traxxasx

You don't need to program it, as long as its the same motor it anyone of the same motor will work. You should ask your daughter if they happened to put the battery on backwards causing a short. You know red wire on negative post black wire on positive post.

Old 08-06-2012, 09:37 AM
Rocket67
Professional

You don't need to program it, as long as its the same motor it anyone of the same motor will work. You should ask your daughter if they happened to put the battery on backwards causing a short. You know red wire on negative post black wire on positive post.
I wouldn't doubt it other than the fact that it's really hard to stretch the negative cable to the positive side. I already ordered one from AllComputerResources. No offense but I want the warranty and it's only $200 so really no problem and from what I understand they actually rebuild them and test them then flash the latest SW so it should work out. Any bad reviews for them are all related to shipping and most reviews are good. No tax and no shipping either so I am looking forward to bolting that thing in and seeing if it works.

Old 08-08-2012, 03:10 PM
traxxasx

Please let me know if that works out for you. I still think 200 is a big rip. but if it fixes the car good deal.

Old 08-09-2012, 08:28 AM
Rocket67
Professional

Please let me know if that works out for you. I still think 200 is a big rip. but if it fixes the car good deal.
$200 isn't that much money and they offer a lifetime warranty. Since my daughter will probably never be able to afford a new car this needs to last a while and with the warranty I feel much better about not having to pay for this part again. I do apprecitate the offer though.

Old 08-13-2012, 02:59 PM
Rocket67
Professional

New PCM will be here tomorrow, I can't wait to put it in and see if this problem goes away. Really worried that something on the car caused the problem but.....crossing fingers. If it lasts long enough to get an inspection sticker that will be fine.

Old 08-16-2012, 11:11 AM
Rocket67
Professional

PCM installed and started (then restarted) with no CEL. Took to get inspected and they said that there was not enough info on the PCM to pass. Asked to drive it 50miles and bring back. So....taking it back today hopefully. Drove it 50+ miles and still no CEL.

Old 08-17-2012, 08:34 AM
Rocket67
Professional

Well....it failed again. Something called EVAP and the O2 sensor are coming up as "Not Ready". The place where we originally took it said that I had a bad EVAP (even though she had no idea what that was) and 2 bad O2 sensors. Of course no codes pulled up at Auto Zone so luckily there was a really nice guy at Jiffy Lube that put it on the machine to help me out. He said that nothing is coming up bad, I just need more miles on it. When I drove it 50 miles I did it straight but he said it needs to be started, shut down and driven a few times before all the sensors work. Said he had a guy that brought his in after 50 miles on a new computer and had the same problem. The guy was driving it 10 miles and checking...did it several times then it finally cleared. So, I am driving my daughters car to work and checking every day until it either passes or it gets a check engine light. Something of note....it can have one "Not Ready" and still pass but any more and it's a fail.

Old 08-17-2012, 10:03 PM
ndtguy
Rookie

Originally Posted by Rocket67
Well....it failed again. Something called EVAP and the O2 sensor are coming up as "Not Ready". The place where we originally took it said that I had a bad EVAP (even though she had no idea what that was) and 2 bad O2 sensors. Of course no codes pulled up at Auto Zone so luckily there was a really nice guy at Jiffy Lube that put it on the machine to help me out. He said that nothing is coming up bad, I just need more miles on it. When I drove it 50 miles I did it straight but he said it needs to be started, shut down and driven a few times before all the sensors work. Said he had a guy that brought his in after 50 miles on a new computer and had the same problem. The guy was driving it 10 miles and checking...did it several times then it finally cleared. So, I am driving my daughters car to work and checking every day until it either passes or it gets a check engine light. Something of note....it can have one "Not Ready" and still pass but any more and it's a fail.
That is normal. Best thing to do is drive about 80 miles with mixed driving (in town/highway). Also turn the car on/off a few times, so you should pass no problem very soon.

The "not ready" doesn't mean anything is wrong, it just means the systems hasn't been satisfied with its check from "x" circuit. Most states allow 2 not readys from 1996-200x and then down to 1 not ready from 200x to present cars.

Not ready on an 02 sensor is odd. Do you remember if it was sensor 1 (pre-cat) or sensor 2 (after-cat). Are you running the car a bunch of short distance? Depending on how long the car runs, it might stay in open loop and never read the 02 sensors because in open loop, it runs off a preset programming in the computer. O2 sensors are read only after the car is on for x-amount of time and usually when the coolant temp sensors reach a preset temp.

Glad to hear that so far so good other than the not ready readings which should correct itself very shortly.

Old 08-18-2012, 05:43 AM
BillS
Captain

the Evap can take a week or two to be ready ,theres certain conditions(fuel level,temp ,idle off for a certain time etc.) you have to meet for each system .I don't have the list anymore sold stratus two months ago gave it to buyer. each year has different criteria try searching online for either "OBD not ready" or "PCM not ready" you should find what you need to do to get it "ready"

Quick Reply: Runs good, starts hard, check engine