Dodge Stratus The Dodge Stratus. Whether you've got a sedan or coupe, base model or R/T, theDodge Stratus has winning looks and thrilling performance.

Dodge Stratus 2005 SXT 2.4L Issues

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2012, 04:46 PM
Frodude
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dodge Stratus 2005 SXT 2.4L Issues

I just went to the mechanic and he pulled 5 trouble codes for me:

P0068
P2074
P1697
P01 23
P0340

His diagnosis was that I need to get a new transmission because mine is stuck on a low gear. I looked up the codes and to my knowledge, none of those reflect what he told me so I need to know how to fix this thing since getting a new tranny is out of the question right now.

Old 08-18-2012, 06:00 PM
BillS
Captain

first have you checked transmission fluid level that causes alot of problems on these transmissions? what do you mean stuck on a low gear ? physically stuck in gear and you can't get it out of gear, or if you put it in drive it will only run in one gear(2nd gear) if thats what its doing its called limp mode the control module is basically trying to protect transmission. most likely you have a bad PCM or possibly wiring maybe loose that is the one thing that each of your codes point to.

Old 08-18-2012, 06:52 PM
Frodude

I'll be speeding up then the gears get caught when upshifting. Instead of making the proper shifts at around 2K RPM it'll make them only when the RPM hits about 3K-3.5K then I let go of the pedal til it shifts.

Old 08-18-2012, 07:39 PM
BillS
Captain

ok, from what you wrote don't think its transmission(could be wrong), with the codes you have they could cause your problems. basically the transmission is told by the control modules on when to shift gears one of the inputs it uses is throttle position(3 of your codes mention that) .how does engine run on car?

Old 08-18-2012, 10:34 PM
Frodude

The engine runs fine, trans fluid is filled. This problem has been occurring now for quite some time then randomly it went away for about 5 months and now it's back worse. That's what confuses me right now. I checked the connections on the TPS and they're fine. I even cleaned the air filter to see if maybe that was causing some issues. Oh also, my cruise control won't light up when I press the button. That has been tied with this issue from before.

Old 08-18-2012, 11:41 PM
BillS
Captain

hmm,still leaning towards pcm or bad wiring (in 03 and '04's they had problems with the pcm connectors seals not being connected right,don't think it applied to '05's could try checking them),cruise is also controlled by PCM. don't know if you want to try(its not the correct way its supposed to be done but sometimes it helps) unhooking battery's negative terminal for about 10 minutes to a 1/2 hour it will usually erase the codes and reset pcm (might or might not help codes could come back right away ) the only other option i can think of would be to take to dealer or someplace with the right scanner(most shops don't have its a 3 or 4 thousand dollar machine) that can access and diagnose pcm

Old 08-19-2012, 02:42 PM
Frodude

Hmm.. Okies. Well do you know roughly how much a PCM would run me? And also, would you recommend I get it at a junk yard?

Old 08-19-2012, 05:40 PM
BillS
Captain

if you get one at junkyard ,it will have to be programmed to your vehichle(needs vin# and mileage don't know how much for programming) to run,has to be taken to dealer for that.new one from dealer around 650-700.00 dollars, can buy a reconditioned one online from allcomputerresources.com 208.00 lifetime warranty and programmed ,i have never used them but have seen them mentioned a couple times on here by other members

Quick Reply: Dodge Stratus 2005 SXT 2.4L Issues