Dodge Stratus The Dodge Stratus. Whether you've got a sedan or coupe, base model or R/T, theDodge Stratus has winning looks and thrilling performance.

2002 Stratus RT-Multiple problems-Please HELP!!! :)

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2013, 07:32 AM
evoclarke
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2002 Stratus RT-Multiple problems-Please HELP!!! :)

Hi everyone! I am having some issues with my 02 Stratus RT 3.0 V6 SOHC-First of all my battery and brake warning lights on the instrument panel are continuously lit. A couple months ago, I noticed that occasionally my headlights/interior dash lights would start flickering when I had been driving for an extended amount of time. But now it does it pretty much all the time, on low and high beam- Also, I recently had a leak in my radiator and was told to put K-Seal in it. Ever since I did that, my heater does not blow hot air. The leak is fixed and the blower works on all settings, except it does not blow hot air. Anyone have any clue as to what I did? Would really appreciate any input from anyone who knows how to fix this, or anyone who is experiencing the same or similar problems or point me in the right direction to start the process to remedy any of these problems!! Thanks so much!!!!

Old 03-20-2013, 10:24 PM
evoclarke

Anyone? Please?

Old 03-24-2013, 02:05 AM
evoclarke
Thumbs down

Seriously!! Wow you guys have been such a great help!!!! Thanks so much!!!!!!!!

Old 03-24-2013, 10:39 AM
D Ryan
Rookie

You might get better results if you include in the title what the problem is! And divide the problems. You might get a post going where someone else has the same problem.

For the headlights maybe the grounds need cleaned! Maybe a headlight switch. After you drive your car around for a while with the lights ON, reach up under the dash and feel the headlight switch, is it hot? Resistance cause's HEAT! Above all search the net and the forum!

Old 03-24-2013, 02:12 PM
FrankTA2
Amateur
Default No hot air.......

I'm not familiar with your engine, but most cars have a "heater control valve" which stops the flow of hot water to the heater core under the dash when not needed. Since the problem started when you put the stop leak in the radiator, I would guess that the heater control valve is clogged shut.
Heater Control Valve

The heater core is the main component of the heating system. It uses heated engine coolant to provide heat to the passenger compartment. A heater control valve controls the amount of coolant flowing through the heater core. It is not used in all heater systems, as some manufacturers allow coolant to flow through the heater core any time the engine is running. This type of system uses a blend door to mix cooled and heated air to achieve a desired temperature.
The heater control valve allows the flow of coolant through the heater core to be controlled, and switched on and off without effecting the operation of the rest of the cooling system. It may be located on the inlet or the outlet port of the heater core, and activated by a cable , electronic control, or a vacuum signal. This valve may be normally open, allowing coolant to flow until activated, or normally closed, allowing coolant to flow only when activated.
A cable operated heater control valve uses a Bowden cable to drive a flap located inside the valve. As the occupant manually moves a lever in the control, the cable moves a flap in the valve.
The vacuum valve does the same thing with a pintle and diaphragm, except this type of valve is normally open. This is in case of malfunction, heat may still be provided to the occupants by the heating system. Vacuum is supplied by the engine through a switch in the dash.
Electronic controls can be PWM (pulse width modulated) or controlled by a simple on/off solenoid. Pulse width modulation offers more control, and is used is a variety of systems found through out the vehicle. The number of on an off pulses sent from the computer in a certain amount of time determines the position of the solenoid. The control valve may also be either opened or closed by a signal from the BCM. A malfunctioning cooling system thermostat will effect the operation of a vehicle's heating system.
If the heater control valve is stuck closed depriving the heater core of heated coolant, the inlet hose to the heater core will be hot, and the outlet hose much cooler. This symptom may also be caused by a clogged heater core. A leaking heater core will typically leak onto the floor board and result in a sweet humid odor (coolant) coming from the vents while in operation.

Attached Thumbnails 2002 Stratus RT-Multiple problems-Please HELP!!! :)-heater-control-valve.gif  
Old 03-26-2013, 12:53 AM
evoclarke

Thank you so much for responding and for the pointers. I really appreciate it....But most of all thank you for telling me about cleaning the grounds, they were loose but tightened them up and no more flickering!!!! YOU ROCK, D ryan!!!!!!!

Old 04-01-2013, 03:27 AM
HaZal2d0uS
Amateur

Battery terminals are a major problem for Stratus coupe's. You might need to clean them out as often as every month depending on the build-up.

Last edited by HaZal2d0uS; 04-01-2013 at 06:03 PM.
Old 04-01-2013, 05:09 PM
pearl01stratcpe
All Star
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by HaZal2d0uS
Battery terminals are a major problem for Stratus coupe's. You might need to clean them out as often as every month depending on the build-up.

There's actually a more active community available to you for the Stratus/Sebring Coupe platform if you're needing help more quickly (I don't mean to take you away from here, but you definitely seemed irritated at the response time) http://www.2gstratus.org/forums/index.php

Badstratusr/t is going to ream your anus if he sees this, be prepared

Old 04-01-2013, 06:03 PM
HaZal2d0uS
Amateur

Removed
Bad habits from C3G/2GS stuff.

Quick Reply: 2002 Stratus RT-Multiple problems-Please HELP!!! :)