Dodge Stratus The Dodge Stratus. Whether you've got a sedan or coupe, base model or R/T, theDodge Stratus has winning looks and thrilling performance.

Confusion with Releasing Fuel Pressure on a 1998 2.4 Stratus

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2013, 10:58 PM
classicfan1
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Confusion with Releasing Fuel Pressure on a 1998 2.4 Stratus

Hey guys, I'm doing head gaskets soon. To remove the cylinder head, you have to release the pressure from the fuel lines, correct? Well my Chilton's book is very confusing. It says to refer this or that part of the section to see the procedure for releasing fuel pressure. I can't find it. How do I properly release fuel pressure from the lines?

Oh, and Chilton's also says that I need to remove the power steering pump to get the cylinder head off. I don't see why, but I sure am having a difficult time getting to it much less taking it off. The chilton's book makes little sense on this either and the diagrams are very hard to use. To this point, all I was able to do was remove the pressure hose and that is it.

Thanks for any and all help!

Old 07-17-2013, 11:01 PM
classicfan1
Rookie

Oh, and with the fuel lines! Chilton's also had a very vague description for releasing pressure when removing the fuel pump. The big problem is that it describes some kind of panel in my floor pan under the rear seat cushion? I see no such thing, I put new carpet in this car last summer and I know that floor pan has no opening of the sort.

Old 07-19-2013, 10:33 AM
classicfan1
Rookie

HELLO?! I didn't think it took two days to get an answer?

Old 07-20-2013, 08:24 AM
BillS
Captain

this forums been dead for awhile I'll try and help not really familiar with a 1998 is there a valve along the fuel line near engine /throttle body you could try and release pressure there cover with rags and press valve watch for spraying gas ,or if engine still runs remove fuel pump fuse and start until it dies ,bad thing about Chilton is they cover several models usually Plymouth , Chrysler and dodge in same book so might say something(in 2nd generation stratus the coupes have access under seats sedans don't) that doesn't apply to your stratus. I always liked alldatadiy.com its an online subscription its model specific step by step instructions, diagrams , service bulletins, recalls can print what you need

Quick Reply: Confusion with Releasing Fuel Pressure on a 1998 2.4 Stratus