Dodge Stratus The Dodge Stratus. Whether you've got a sedan or coupe, base model or R/T, theDodge Stratus has winning looks and thrilling performance.

2001 Stratus engine cranks but won't start

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2017, 04:29 PM
bryguyslc
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok...even at 30 seconds of crank, no DTC, no engine light.

Old 04-08-2017, 06:39 PM
bryguyslc

Ok...no compression to all 4 cylinders. That weird.

Old 04-14-2017, 02:48 AM
bryguyslc

Originally Posted by TNtech
If you are showing in sync and out of sync while cranking or JUST out of sync, then you have a timing problem. The reading at key on is irrelevant. If it is a cam/crank sync issue, it will usually set a DTC after cranking for 20-25 seconds.
Update...so after you said this I decided to just take apart that side of the car and here is what I found. The initial top side inspection that I did before you posted this showed that the timing belt was spinning so I initially wrote it off and assumed that wasn't the problem. I was slightly wrong, the timing belt was spinning like it supposed to from the top, but after taking the bottom cover off (much more intensive to get to) showed that the tensioner had exploded therefore the belt was very sloppy on the bottom. Reassembling everything now so I can't say that it is running yet, but I am fairly confident that this will fix the problem! Thanks to those that commented on here and help to walk through things. I will post again as soon as it is done and runs like a champ!

Old 04-17-2017, 12:20 AM
bryguyslc

Update...I got everything replaced and put back together, the engine fired up right away and purred like a kitten for about 20 seconds and then died suddenly. So I thought hmmm that's weird and figured it was just a hiccup as it had been sitting and had so many issues so I jumped in and tried to restart it. I was shocked when I turned the key and NOTHING no crank, no click, nothing, not even a check engine light. So I pulled out my diagnostic tool again, hooked it up and the only thing I can see that is different now is that it says "Vehicle Theft Security" Value is "Kill Fuel". Any ideas?

Old 04-23-2017, 02:58 AM
bryguyslc
Default Update...The problem has changed!

I have done extensive work on this vehicle over the past month (all sensors, full timing belt kit w/water pump, ignition coil, ignition wires, spark plugs and all fuses/relays in the box under the hood and in the cabin. That being said, Here is the lastest problem with the car...I got in it the other day and it fired right up as usual and sounded great (for about 1 minute) and then died as if i turned off the key. So of course I was like "what the heck is going on?!?!? I turned the key all the way off and then restarted it, it started right up again just to run for about 1 minute again and then died the same way. So now I am being optimistic and thought to myself I guess the 3rd times the charm...I was wrong! The car did nothing, no crank, no start, NOTHING! All of the dash lights come on and everything appears good as far as power goes. Since this happened I have pulled the battery out and load tested it (it passed) I also tried to put my tested back up battery in it to no avail. I have tested the starter and it passed as well. One piece of information that I have but I am not sure how to resolve is that my diagnostic tool under the PCM live data setting is showing the "veh theft security" a value of "Fuel Kill" and this particular vehicle does not have any anti-theft on it or chipped keys (this is why i am very confused). Any help with this matter would be greatly appreciated. Thank You