Dodge Stratus The Dodge Stratus. Whether you've got a sedan or coupe, base model or R/T, theDodge Stratus has winning looks and thrilling performance.

3.0 R/T running too cold

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2006, 06:02 PM
Jrseykid686
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 3.0 R/T running too cold

Ok so i finally get my car back from the shop. Now the dealer has done 8K in work to the car... everything is perfect, right? wrong. Engine light came on about 40 miles after picking it up. I took it to Auto Zone, they ran the code... i dont remember the exact words, but the engine is running too cold. How and why? Is this an easy fix for me or am going to have to take it back into the shop and raise hell becuase its not under warrenty? My gas mileage also sucks beyond belief now. any ideas??

Old 11-20-2006, 02:33 AM
RooK
Rookie
Default RE: 3.0 R/T running too cold

It's got horrible gas mileage because it commands a richer fuel mixture when the engine is cold. Get the code first, then we can go from there. I have an Eclipse 3G Factory Service Manual that can help in finding the solution to a lot of codes on the Coupe. It helped me diagnose and fix my EGR solenoid. Off the top of my head, two main problems that come to mind is either a thermostat stuck open or faulty coolant temperature sensor. Does the temp gauge ever rise to center?

Old 11-20-2006, 02:52 AM
Jrseykid686
Professional

it use to before the repairs, now its just below half. It is cold here now and i still have my CAI on. The car would run hot before the repairs so i am going to try to take off the CAI for the winter and see if maybe that will help. The other thing i can think of is the thermostat... the code was something along the lines of something temperature is below the threshold. I'll keep you posted on what happens with the CAI and when i call the dealership and talk to the manager... its been in 9 times since i bought it in january.

Old 11-20-2006, 11:13 AM
BadStratRT
The Forum Tyrant
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

thats very odd, seeing as how im running a lower temp t-stat in my car, with a CAI, and I live in michigan.

edit...you also live in michigan..i forgot...

Old 11-20-2006, 02:47 PM
Jrseykid686
Professional

yea, i dont know. Could the timing be off with the new timing belt?? i'm going back to meadowbrook dodge today.

Old 11-20-2006, 03:07 PM
RooK
Rookie

CAI won't make a difference and neither will timing. It has to do with your cooling system.

Old 11-20-2006, 06:53 PM
Jrseykid686
Professional

dealer says the code is 'catalyst not warming to threshold' they are telling me either catalytic problem or O2 sensor, im going back on wed. that will make 11 times int he shop

Old 11-20-2006, 07:38 PM
RooK
Rookie

That doesn't make any sense. The catalytic converter scrubs your exhaust to clean emissions. An O2 sensor behind it tells if it's functioning or not. Despite whether the Cat is functioning, the car will still work fine (unless it's clogged, but then you would have hesitation in trying to go up hills and during acceleration). It has nothing to do with engine heat, using extra gas, or whatever. I think the dealer is having a fun time taking you for a ride and cash.

Old 11-20-2006, 10:03 PM
Jrseykid686
Professional

well they're not getting any money from me. i stopped payment on the last "fix" and told the manager i refuse to pay further. Also made a complaint against the dealer with coporate. We'll see what happens.

Old 11-21-2006, 04:14 PM
BloodRed
Professional

If your O2 sensor is bad, it will cause your car to run in limp mode, which causes the car to run rich. So everything sounds correct to what is happening.

Quick Reply: 3.0 R/T running too cold