Dodge Viper The almighty Dodge Viper. No matter the year, since it's arrival, the Dodge Viper has made even the most refined car enthusiasts drool. This sports car has it all from a sexy look to pavement shredding power.

Massive 08 Viper problems !!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2008, 11:18 AM
qcrider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Massive 08 Viper problems !!!

I posted on this forum months ago to ask about where to buy a viper and yall were kind enough to point me in the right direction, and now I am the new owner of a black 08 Viper. I am not as technical as 99% of the people here and will provide more information as I receive it from my dealer, but my 08 Viper is in the shop and is UNFIXABLE per Chryslers Viper team.

As of right now I know for a fact SEVERAL 08 vipers all over the country are having the same problem. It is a massive failure in either the programming and or a coil on a valve. All I know is I was going 70mph and my power dropped massively and I couldn't use 80% of my horsepower and my check engine light blinked. I got off the road as quick as possible. My vehicle has 165 miles on it and I was respecting a smooth break in period of at least 1,000 miles.

Apparently Chrysler is already formulating a packet for all dealers to prepare for the fix but the packet doesn't include the actual fix due to the fact there isnt one yet. I have already heard talks of a potential buy back. Regardless the 08 Vipers were NOT ready for distribution and I am one annoyed Viper owner.

Old 03-25-2008, 07:19 PM
lblackneon
Champion
Default RE: Massive 08 Viper problems !!!

That sucks. That's exactly why you shouldn't ever buy the first year of any newly designed car.

Old 03-25-2008, 07:28 PM
qcrider

I have never been the "wait and see" type. That approach is a little too passive for me.

Old 03-26-2008, 01:42 PM
OhioGearHead

Damn that sucks dude. I'm sorry to hear it. I remember reading not to log ago they completely redid the viper. They wanted to beat the 500bhp that Mustang and Corvette were bragging about.

This is just a suggestion but maybe pick up an SRT8 and get the mods on it? I know it's not a viper but it might be worth the money spent.

Old 03-27-2008, 12:39 PM
qcrider

I can tell you one thing - before this happened it destroyed any Mustang or Corvette. The car is a beast - the production was hasty. It is a frustrating problem but the issue here isnt the quality of the vehicle it is the lack of focus at Dodge.

Old 03-27-2008, 08:57 PM
OhioGearHead

ORIGINAL: qcrider

I can tell you one thing - before this happened it destroyed any Mustang or Corvette. The car is a beast - the production was hasty. It is a frustrating problem but the issue here isnt the quality of the vehicle it is the lack of focus at Dodge.
I agree 1000%. I remember in highschool when they came out. I saw a show that did a shoot out between Viper, ferrari, Porsche, Mustang, Vette, Lambo all the good ones.It was top speed, cornering, all sorts of stuff. For three years straight the viper was king of the show.

They just threw it together after stopping production for one year and didn't do the research and development to work the bugs out. KInda makes you nervous about the Challenger.

Old 03-30-2008, 04:32 PM
lblackneon
Champion

ORIGINAL: OhioGearHead

Damn that sucks dude. I'm sorry to hear it. I remember reading not to log ago they completely redid the viper. They wanted to beat the 500bhp that Mustang and Corvette were bragging about.

This is just a suggestion but maybe pick up an SRT8 and get the mods on it? I know it's not a viper but it might be worth the money spent.
Beating the 500 hp Mustang was never a problem for the 500 hp Vipers. Those Mustangs are heavy. The 505 hp Zo6 on the other hand, well that was the reason Viper had to step it up.

Old 03-31-2008, 02:17 AM
Jviper
Veteran

This is not good. The Viper was getting beat by the Z06, which was shown by the magazines.So DC stopped production and there was no 2007 Viper. DC rushed and came out with the 2008 Viper. Now they have a Z06 killer but problems with the 08 Viper. Even the engineers admitted that the 08 Viper was rushed into production.

Old 03-31-2008, 12:52 PM
CarGuyOhio
Admin formally known as 94rt10ohio
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I now have confirmed issues on two more 08s with less than 500 miles on them.

I also have confirmed 08s with well over 1K on them and not one issue yet.

Also heard all cars are stuck in a I status right now. Not sure if that means inventory or what, but they are not moving and Dodge is not taking any new 08 orders.

[sm=popcorn.gif]

Old 04-03-2008, 08:37 AM
Jviper
Veteran

I heard this. The problem was diagnosed, was very isolated, and extremely minor - no replacement parts or hard labor required.

Quick Reply: Massive 08 Viper problems !!!