Dodge Viper The almighty Dodge Viper. No matter the year, since it's arrival, the Dodge Viper has made even the most refined car enthusiasts drool. This sports car has it all from a sexy look to pavement shredding power.

All Hail The new KING; ZO6!

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2005, 06:46 PM
CarGuyOhio
Admin formally known as 94rt10ohio
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: All Hail The new KING; ZO6!

ORIGINAL: Rome sky

Hey whats going on. Thanks for replying. Well we both agree that it matters more about a car off the show room floor than mods. To be real about it you can go as fast as money will allow, so stock should speak more than anything. I did not make something clear in my post. I believe the best American supercar is the Ford GT. The only thing I have with it is the price. I myself am more of a track racer, so the GT is amazing to me. I have heard people say crazy things about how they hate the GT, yet they will not race one. Oh and you said it took Gm 15 years, well do you remember the 95 ZR-1?
And if DC wanted to make a 150K Viper the GT would look like it is going in reverse. However I mentioned in the past, DC, when they make the next step, also has to keep the car under the magical 100K price.

Old 11-27-2005, 06:53 PM
CarGuyOhio

ORIGINAL: ViperGTS

it matters more about a car off the show room floor than mods
That goes into personal opinions. I don't want a car that's maxed out on mods and can't do anything else.

I believe the best American supercar is the Ford GT.
So why wouldn't the king be the GT then? I understand price plays a role in this, but it can't be everything. And the Vette has a leg up right now, but who has been dominating during the Viper's existence? Dodge knows they have a problem and they are going to beast up the next Viper.

-Matt-
No car is maxed out.... Mods are only limited by ones imagination. I agree it would be easier to take a Viper as a base over the exitsing Z06 to get more power via mods, but the Z06 can be beefed up as well. Go as far as to rip out the SB 427 and dump in a blown BB 502. This is why I say what you get off the showroom floor is what makes for the leader of the pack. I could build an Omni that could beat a Viper, would it really matter??

Old 11-27-2005, 07:05 PM
CarGuyOhio

ORIGINAL: Rome sky

What I was say is that in 95 no car was doing it like the ZR-1. Yes if you compare it to todays cars it's second tier. Yet that was less than 15 years and Gm has done it again.
lol.... You pointed out one the the issues with GM..... They were onto something and dropped it when they went to the C5 car and did not care to try again for 10 years???? As I said before, DC will not take 10-15 years, 1-2.

Old 11-27-2005, 08:06 PM
DevilsReject
Noob Assassin
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just let me ask you one question.....

How many of you can even walk in and BUY a Viper? I'd bet maybe, maybe 5 ppl on this website could do it. Just to make my point clear, a BRAND NEW ONE.

The average person can walk in and buy a Z06 Vette a lot easier then a person can a Viper. I want to emphasize two things....

One - If you have the money, then it really doesnt matter as you will buy what you want.

Two - Most people dont have the money, so to sit here and brag about what you did with a 90,000-150,000 dollar car is irrelavent. People want to diss on ricers, but the real deal one's do much more with much less then both the Viper and the Vette. The reality is though, I can buy a Vette and still not have to sell my house to do it.

I'm not speaking about myself personally, I'm just talking a generalization. It's like the SRT-4, fastest fwd production car under $25k, yet still capable of being plenty affordable. Now, the closest thing to beating it, is like a $40k car off the showroom floor.

I love both cars, and if I had 100K laying around I'd ****** a Viper in a heartbeat, but the Vette does more with a lot less for a lot less cash. Now, if they could make the Viper down around $65K, I bet you there'd be alot less Vette's on the road.

Old 11-27-2005, 08:32 PM
Rome sky
Rookie

Well I'm buying a ZO6 in two years and a couple guys I talk to have vipers.
Nevertheless we can talk about whatever we want. No matter if it a high school kid or billonare.

Old 11-27-2005, 08:33 PM
Rome sky
Rookie

I guess you are right about that

Old 11-27-2005, 08:38 PM
Rome sky
Rookie

Dodge will never make a 150k car. It does not have the heart for it. I mean their calling card is lost of horse power for less(ie the first viper). Yet if they did it could be pretty cool. As long as they understand supercars are more than 1/4 racers. The really test is Nurburging, and in the past they have done well, but their engineers still have a ways to go.

Old 11-27-2005, 08:51 PM
CarGuyOhio

ORIGINAL: DevilsReject

How many of you can even walk in and BUY a Viper? I'd bet maybe, maybe 5 ppl on this website could do it. Just to make my point clear, a BRAND NEW ONE.

The average person can walk in and buy a Z06 Vette a lot easier then a person can a Viper. I want to emphasize two things....

One - If you have the money, then it really doesnt matter as you will buy what you want.

Two - Most people dont have the money, so to sit here and brag about what you did with a 90,000-150,000 dollar car is irrelavent. People want to diss on ricers, but the real deal one's do much more with much less then both the Viper and the Vette. The reality is though, I can buy a Vette and still not have to sell my house to do it.
Actaully if someone can afford and consider buying a 2006 Z06, they most likely can afford a 2006 Viper as well, I think the sticker difference is only 10K or so?

Agreed, if someone has that much money they buy what they want. Me personally I wanted the more rare, yet fast and one of the most appealing things out there, which was the Viper. When you can drive a car down the road and you have several people not even know what it is, that is cool. Or someone says I have only seen one or two Vipers before in my life, that is also cool. I opted for the GEN I because....

1. It was what the Viper was intended to be, I know, I will get some feedback on this and it is only my opinion. And do not get me wrong I love the GEN III as well, but for other reasons. Why do I think the GEN I was what the Viper was intedned to be? It is a 2 seat car, no glass, no A/C (available from the factory, was dealer installed), no gaudy fancy gauges or power options, a very basic straight forward interior and a big engine. Remember Shelby was part of the prototype team. All of these things were near and dear to his heart as to what a supercar should be.

2. It was not a purchased to drive and mod to death, it was a purchased to enjoy on Sundays and as an investment. GEN I prices for the past couple years have flattened. I do not see them going down much, if any. They should slowly begin to climb in the near future.

This is why I then turned around and bought something else, that being the truck. I can play and tinker with that all I want. I could have forgone all of that and just bought a new Viper, but that is not what I was after. Hense, the person with the money buys what they want just as stated in the post above. Which in this case was not the fastest car, not even the fastest Viper, but the investment, rareity and tradition of Carol Shelby which are all part of the GEN I.

With that said.... Knowing there will be C6 Vettes and Z06s littering the streets it would not be something I would want. The GT, yes, I could go for that, but that is a whole different money bracket that I have not reached.

Back on topic... The subject, Hail the new King, Z06. Slightly faster 0-60 and in the 1/4, depening on the driver. Once again, GM, after YEARS decided to play ball. DC will respond. What makes the king?

If you are looking at just speed numbers with comparable stickers (70-90K range), then the 2006 Z06 has a slight edge and wins.

If you take the same criteria and add looks, desirability/rareity, something not built for the masses, then the Viper wins. Yes, opinion, but if you held an election, just like a political election, which said if you had the money which would you buy, Vette (Z06 or otherwise) or a Viper coupe or drop top I would think the Viper would win. I base this on what I see when at car shows and driving my car. There are always people around the Viper, and those same people will walk by the numerous Vettes.

If you are looking at all cars in all price ranges, then hold your breath, the americans loose.

With that I will conclude my thoughts on this topic. Obviously the Viper owners are slighted towards Viper, Vette owners towards the Vette. There really is no way to judge a car along all aspects because we are all opinionated and have our own likes. The old line rings true, you can not make everyone happy all the time. This is why you have a ton of cars to choose from.

Old 11-27-2005, 09:10 PM
DevilsReject
Noob Assassin

2006 Chevrolet Corvette Z06: Stock price from Chevy.com = $65,800 for stock model coupe
Engine: V8 engine with 7.0L (6997 cc)
HP: 505hp
Torque: 470lbs
Fuel Injection: SEFI
MPG: 16 street, 26 highway - 18 gallon gas tank

2006 Dodge Viper SRT-10: Stock price from Dodge.com = 86,995 for stock model coupe
Engine: V10 engine with 8.3L (8276cc)
HP: 510hp
Torque: 535lbs
Fuel Injection:
MPG: 12 street, 20 highway - 18.5 gallon gas tank

These were all taken 5 minutes ago. There is a $20,000 dollar difference in those two cars, not to mention I am sure those numbers go up at a dealership.

That said, for those extra 2 cylinders the Viper has, it's not dominating anything against Chevy. I think that's why there is such a debate between the two cars. I think if the Viper was throwing down like a 700hp and whipping out like upper 10's to low 11's on the quarter mile, there wouldnt even be this discussion.

But because Chevy does so much with so little against the Viper, you have to at least agree that people have a valid point. I'm not saying we win the arguement, just that you have to at least concede the point

I definitely think the Viper is more rare and nicer to look at. Least the 1st gen was. I am not a fan of the newer models. I think that both Dodge and Chevy have been pilfering each other's pockets on these designs. That said, I have always felt that if you are going to spend 60-70k on a Chevy, why not buy a Porsche or high end AMG Mercedes? I mean that from a rare/not so many on the road view point. I realize most of you will say well thats those traditional American people, but the reality is, American muscle isnt so American anymore.

Old 11-27-2005, 09:14 PM
dubvipers
Record Breaker

ORIGINAL: ViperGTS

In the case on the ZO6 vs the Viper the ZO6 is the real deal.
You may have the Viper because of the $20,000 difference, but you're paying for what you get... America's real sports car. Instead of the 505Hp V8 from the Vette, you're getting a 510Hp V10 capable of way more then the V8 can ever concieve. Just look at the Hennesey Viper Venom which took the wolrd's top speed at 255Mph. You didn't see that with the Ligenfeltner Vette. The Vette may also beat the Viper straight out in a quarter mile, but top speed the Viper SRT-10 would crush the Vette...governers removed. The brakes are unbelievable, and had the best stopping distance compared to the Vette and GT...and what else? Oh yeah, GM knew they had the real deal on their hands, so what did they do? Stole the Viper's looks in a poor attempt to have America's greatest sport car. You guys can't even create your own. How lame is that!
Just wait until 2007 and come back saying the same thing about the Vette>Viper. I gaurentee it won't happen with the SRT Viper team.

Tyler Benson
Pensacola

-Matt-
nguhahahahaha, you got owned by us, well, this is a dodge forum, but since i read your first post, that wasn't nice in front of us anyways, well, i wouldn't be driving the Z06 and crashing into the semi in front of me, i'd be braking faster, WITH THE VIPER!
Well, hand me over the convertible viper and we will whoop your vette butt if i had the chance to, and im with the bold part here

oh yea! MORE RARE! i've only seen 3 SRT10 Vipers in my life on the road and they are only silver, and three times only!? missouri oklahoma and wichita kansas in a rich neighborhood, WOW, i've seen all of these crappy 06 Vettes everywhere i go

Quick Reply: All Hail The new KING; ZO6!