Dodge Viper The almighty Dodge Viper. No matter the year, since it's arrival, the Dodge Viper has made even the most refined car enthusiasts drool. This sports car has it all from a sexy look to pavement shredding power.

HEY AMANDA AND ALL WHO SEE!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2005, 07:31 PM
highrevr/tflea
Champion
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: HEY AMANDA AND ALL WHO SEE!!

Cosworth is FORD thats the last thing we want. Chevy uses them for their motorsports when they have troubles w/ racing. Like I said we really dont need cosworth.

Old 12-08-2005, 08:27 PM
97 3.5 Intrepid
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: highrevr/tflea

Cosworth is FORD thats the last thing we want. Chevy uses them for their motorsports when they have troubles w/ racing. Like I said we really dont need cosworth.
I thought that would be a stupid idea to have Cosworth or any company "help" Dodge with the Viper. They have enough talent to do this on their own. Just look at the ME-412 for example. They are capable of doing it on their own. If they hire Cosworth, that will just jack-up the price.

Old 12-08-2005, 09:00 PM
ViperGTS
Banned

Is this V10 the same LA/Magnum based V10 or is it based off of the HEMI?
The Hemi V10 may be a suprise to us all, I've heard both, but can't say exactly which engine Dodge will go with.

Besides the increase in displacement, how did they get this significant increase?
Possibly a higher compression and the .1 liter may help a bit.

Does this have any technology like variable-valve timing that helped this?
It would use multi-point injection, but I'm not sure about variable-valve timing.

I thought the other tread mentioned the V10 having 625hp instead of 635hp.
The 625Hp was a different engine which came from a boat. Somehow Dodge could hopefully convert it into a regular engine, while lowering emmisions, and keep the same Hp.

-Matt-

Old 12-08-2005, 11:35 PM
dubvipers
Record Breaker

ORIGINAL: 97 3.5 Intrepid

ORIGINAL: ViperGTS

You work for MPH? I never knew that...

some info on VIPER's answer to the Z06
Mmmm....secret information: brought to you by insiders/friends of ViperGTS

"I've received a couple of key leaks from inside DCX regarding the upcoming generation IV Viper. The first bit of info revealed that the next generation Viper will be powered by an 8.4 liter multi-point injection V-10 producing around 700 HP. That's right, 700 HP. I've been told that an engineering prototype has dyno'ed at about 720 HP in the SRT labs within the last few months. You're probably wondering when we will see this beast. Well, word has it that Conner Avenue Assembly Plant (CAAP) will stop building generation III coupes and convertibles next summer. The final day of production for the '06 model year will be Thursday August 31, 2006. CAAP will be closed 123 days starting Friday September 1, 2006 and will reopen Tuesday January 2, 2007 for production of model year '08 cars. There will not be a model year '07 for the Viper. All this means that we should be getting a peek at the upcoming snake sometime during the '06 car show season.

The next platform code for the Viper is, predictably, ZC (the current code is ZB). I've also been told that future plans include a ZD as well. It sounds like the snake will live on for the next several years at least. Apparently, the ZC based Viper will be joined by a sister car, most likely a production variant of the Firepower show car (hopefully with a better name that doesn't include an exclamation point). A leaked memo shows that the Firepower will most likely start out with the 5.7L Hemi (featuring multi-displacement) and will have the 6.1L Hemi as an option. The Firepower is expected to be aimed squarely at the current Corvette buyer - it will feature an available automatic transmission, luxury interior and all the driving aids that those who lust for the Viper-starter-kit (the 'vette) have to have. As long as Chrysler doesn't overprice the Firepower (a la the Crossfire) it should be a great seller for them."

There's also the 635Hp engine info that I posted a while ago, that may be infact something Chrysler's been holding. Then again that was a boat engine, but it is possible and don't be suprised to see something as hardcore as that. I've heard rumors of a V16 engine as well, which are false.

-Matt-
Hey, Matt. Thanks for the information about the updated Viper. Maybe this will stop Rome sky's complaining. Questions for you. Is this V10 the same LA/Magnum based V10 or is it based off of the HEMI? Is Chrysler doing the modifications to the engine or has this been outsourced (Allpar has mentioned this might be a possibility to a company like Cosworth)? Besides the increase in displacement, how did they get this significant increase? Does this have any technology like variable-valve timing that helped this? I thought the other tread mentioned the V10 having 625hp instead of 635hp.

The Firepower sounds like a good idea to me to compete against the Corvette. I just wish they wouldn't use the Chrysler division to do this. Chrysler vs. Chevrolet seems to me like a disgrace to Chrysler considering the fact that they were the luxury division and Chevrolet was always the economy division (no offense to Chevrolet fans). I don't see why Dodge can't have this since it is the performance division, or they can't just resurrect Plymouth to fight Chevrolet division like it was intended to as the economy division. If it has all of those luxury features, it will probably compete more with cars from Jaguar, Infinity, Cadillac (XLR), lower BMWs, and Mercedes-Benz than it will against the Corvette since the Corvette does not have very high luxury level interior and but is priced justly considering this fact.

Dubvipers, I don't know if you have been taught this yet but it's simple economics. I wasn't taught this until my senior year of high school. I'll explain it to you the best I can, if you haven't. Dodge knows that many people really want the Viper; however, many would not be able to afford it because of the insurance cost, the fuel mileage gas, the expensive type of rare tires it uses, oil changes that needs more oil (which I believe requires more expensive synthetic oil) and other special service maintenance, and other characteristics that makes the Viper expensive because it is not your everyday car like say an Intrepid.

The other problem is this car is not practical for the everyday user. Most have families and need more than just two seats for this purpose. In other words a small crowd can actually afford this cars extra costs besides the purchase price. To make it where the price could be lower, they would have to increase production. When a company increases production, the cost per car goes down. Along with this, the value each customer associates to the car goes down as well because there are more available to buy, meaning they do not have to compete amongst themselves as much to get a car. This means Dodge would not be able to charge as much. It might sound like a good idea but here is the problem. If they did this they would be in danger of "flooding the market," meaning making more than what people are willing to purchase for the reasons I listed earlier. They would end up taking losses just trying to get rid of these cars. So they make this a low production car, but they have to charge a high price to cover their costs of producing this car (employee wages, utilities, machines to build the car parts, the buildings that these cars are built in, etc.)

The Viper is a very attractive car and many people want one, just few can afford one. The ones that can are willing to pay the money for one because they value this car at this price. An everyday car like an Intrepid with no high content of luxury or performance would not sell at these prices because their are alternatives (Pontiac Bonneville) that cost a fraction of the amount. It wouldn't have been wanted bad enough for a person to pay $75,000-85,000 for an Intrepid. The reason why the Corvette is able to cost less and produce more is the fact that it is not quite as expensive to run as a Viper. It gets better fuel mileage, doesn't need quite as much oil in oil changes, doesn't have as rare tires, etc. So more people are willing to buy one. If this left you even more confused than before, don't worry. Many adults don't understand this either. It took me a long time to understand. I have had three college level economics classes so far that have helped me understand situations like this.
thanks my man, needed that.
I just thought it was the designing or materiel price, but yes, i do understand

Old 12-09-2005, 06:51 AM
97 3.5 Intrepid
Record Breaker

ViperGTS, do we know if they are going to stick with the T-56 Tremec Borg-Warner for this model? I thought they already were using multi-port fuel injection with the V10. Has there been any hints about offering a Multi-Displacement System, if it is a HEMI based V10? Will it still be a OHV 2 valve per cylinder design or is this increase a possible result of switching to a SOHC or DOHC 4 valves per cylinder design?

Your welcome, Dubvipers. Happy to help.

Old 12-09-2005, 04:56 PM
Rome sky
Rookie

Well if Dodge decides to give a answer to the ZO6 I hope it's all around. I mean it's great to beat it in the 1/4 mile, but I hope it can deal with it on the track as well. It would be cool if it could also unseat the Ford GT. The only thing I question;can Dodge keep the cost in the 90k range. Once again it's great if a car is fast but if I can't buy one the it really does not win.

Old 12-09-2005, 05:15 PM
97 3.5 Intrepid
Record Breaker

Rome sky, if they are going to use a HEMI V10 based off the 5.7L/6.1L block, it shouldn't rase the price by too much considering the fact that the new HEMI costs less than the 360 (the block the current V10 was based off of) did to build. If it produces 700 hp, it should have no problem unseating the GT. The brakes are superior on the Viper already. The problem the Viper is going to have on twisty, turny tracks is it is longer than the Corvette because the engine is so long. Does it really matter if the Corvette does better on for turns on the track considering what you would use it for? Your only going to use it on the road. If owning a car that is rare (Viper, GT) is what you value buy it. If owning a car that can outrun most vehicles on the track for the lowest price possible is what you value, then mod a Neon SRT-4, Mustang GT, or something else.

Old 12-09-2005, 05:32 PM
HemiMan4451
Champion

Well will they put this same 700hp engine in the Ram SRT-10?

I can only imagine the times on a truck with that engine......[sm=gears.gif]

Old 12-09-2005, 05:37 PM
Rome sky
Rookie

To be honest with you. For what I"m looking for I will more than likely buy a ZO6. I can take it on a road trip and get 26 mpg, let my girl drive it and not worry too much about the torque coming on too low. I love the heads up display with g meter. It would be great to know when the car really is at the edge vs what I think the edge is. Nonetheless a lot could happen in 2 years. I could get married, then I'll be rolling in a mini van, trying to race people at stop signs. Lets just hope that does not happen

Old 12-09-2005, 06:11 PM
97 3.5 Intrepid
Record Breaker

I didn't know they offered the heads-up display on the Corvette. Those are nice. I hear a Corvette is more comfortable on long trips anyways. A Viper is more a weekend car. Something to take out on special occasions.

That would be cool if they offer that V10 in the Ram. Ferrari, eat your heart out.

Quick Reply: HEY AMANDA AND ALL WHO SEE!!