5.9L Engine Club

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2009, 09:35 PM
dsertdog56
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by JohnnysArt
dsertdog56,
Hey thanks man. I really appreciate it. The main reason I asked is for us guys that have or are looking to getting 35's or bigger- we need the bigger gears but we don't want to loose top end.
What you need to remember is "top end" is based on other factors as well as gearing/tires.

What you are doing when you install gears is increasing the avalible torque needed to overcome the weight and diameter of the larger tire. In other words, you are kinda fooling the engine.
The engine isn't foolish though...it only makes a certain amount of horsepower and only goes to a certain rpm. So after you've overcome the tires by increasing torque output, you'll need more horses to keep those big meats spinning. You have more unsprung weight, a taller truck which increases drag, and only so much rpm to spare.
Sadly you can't have it both ways...well actually you CAN...but it will cost you. In fact I've nearly gone bankrupt a couple of times proving you can. And I'm happily divorced. But I degress...

If you or someone else wouldn't mind, someone should explain to me why you want to go fast with a lifted truck with big tires. I've never understood that even when I was young I never felt the need.

Last edited by dsertdog56; 11-17-2009 at 09:39 PM.
Old 11-18-2009, 12:12 AM
JohnnysArt
All Star

Originally Posted by dsertdog56
What you need to remember is "top end" is based on other factors as well as gearing/tires.

What you are doing when you install gears is increasing the avalible torque needed to overcome the weight and diameter of the larger tire. In other words, you are kinda fooling the engine.
The engine isn't foolish though...it only makes a certain amount of horsepower and only goes to a certain rpm. So after you've overcome the tires by increasing torque output, you'll need more horses to keep those big meats spinning. You have more unsprung weight, a taller truck which increases drag, and only so much rpm to spare.
Sadly you can't have it both ways...well actually you CAN...but it will cost you. In fact I've nearly gone bankrupt a couple of times proving you can. And I'm happily divorced. But I degress...

If you or someone else wouldn't mind, someone should explain to me why you want to go fast with a lifted truck with big tires. I've never understood that even when I was young I never felt the need.
I understand and thank you again. well for one thing I would like to eventually thrown in a big lift and 37 or 38 tires and I don't want it to struggle. And i would like to take it to the track.

Old 11-18-2009, 01:19 AM
lastrights
Grand Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by gtup
From the back of the passenger side? I cant find this line for anything, so right now I have it capped which its throwing a P1494 which could mean a vac leak. Does anybody know where this vac line goes to?
come in the 2nd gen sectionand ask im sure someone will know i have no idea

Old 11-18-2009, 02:17 AM
1fast2liter
Captain

Originally Posted by JohnnysArt
I understand and thank you again. well for one thing I would like to eventually thrown in a big lift and 37 or 38 tires and I don't want it to struggle. And i would like to take it to the track.

thats kind of a double negitive their.. big lifts and big tires and fast times at the track dont go togeather....... but good luck... it will take alot of hp and torque to net you decent times at the track

Old 11-18-2009, 07:24 AM
gtup
Professional

I found the missing vac line, it was on the drivers side nicely tucked away lol.

Old 11-18-2009, 07:34 AM
95RAM360
Grand Champion
Received 45 Likes on 40 Posts

is there any way you can get some pics up

Old 11-18-2009, 09:08 AM
gtup
Professional

I can after Christmas lol, my wife dropped my camera a couple months ago, so I am without one right now...

Old 11-18-2009, 01:52 PM
95RAM360
Grand Champion

i meant did you get any pics of your plenum fix?

i just got another manifold, having the kegger mod done to it right now, and after, they are cleaning, sandblasting, and polishing it. (its at the machine shop now) im re-doing mine, for my buddy is buying my intake with the hughes plate, and i want to do the kegger mod. So i got a free manifold from my boss from his truck, the cleaning/kegger mod is costing me 60 bucks, and i sold my kegger for 100, well when i take it out ill get the money.

But im changing plugs, wires, kegger mod/ port and polished, dist. cap/rotor, High Flow CAT, new 02 sensors, thermostat, fuel injectors, and another hughes pate.

i have everything except the CAT, and hughes plate. which ill be ordering within the next week. i cant wait for this, its gunna be awesome.

then is time to get the 1.7 HC's

Old 11-18-2009, 02:26 PM
gtup
Professional

No never did get any pics durning the install...

Sounds like a lot of work! I wanted to do the kegger mod on mine but I only had one intake which is the one on the truck, so I didnt want to screw anything up lol.
I am wanted to get the 1.7HC's but its not working out with the wife lol.

Good luck with everything and let me know how much power doing that kegger mod added, I might just try and find a used one and mess with it....

Old 11-18-2009, 03:40 PM
95RAM360
Grand Champion

ill be posting pics on it...cant wait...

Quick Reply: 5.9L Engine Club