General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

318/727 driveline vibration, converter?

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2007, 02:08 AM
thunderbirdesq
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 318/727 driveline vibration, converter?

Hello all, I've got a '67 318/727 combo in my truck and it has a nasty driveline vibration that's about to rattle my teeth out. The driveshaft isstraight, ujoints are new. The vibration seems worse at some times rather than others and seems to follow engine RPM more than vehicle speed. Most noticeable in the 40-65mph range.It's kind of a repetitive rddd, rddd rddd sound. It becomes more apparent when turning right at speed. Can you see the weights on a 360 torque converter when thecover plate is removed? I'm thinking I may have gotten a weighted converter with this combo. Could that even cause this symptom? Anyone have any other ideas? Thanks!

Andy

Old 05-21-2007, 06:20 PM
HellaciousHemi
Veteran
Default RE: 318/727 driveline vibration, converter?

Yes, anything that is not assembled correctly will shake just like a wheel n tire being weighted. The bearing in the converter could be bad which is causing play n the vibration. Other words the drive shaft can be a few teeth off and cause a vibration. It could be a input shaft problem buttry n pin point the sound/vibration more.

Old 05-22-2007, 01:11 AM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 96 Likes on 81 Posts

On the early dodge and fords the transmission had a weight on the back of the tail housing. Try to a 5 pound weight to the back of trans. The Jeep Liberty now use a weight on the rear diff.

Old 05-22-2007, 02:07 PM
thunderbirdesq

I'm pretty sure it's something on the input side because the vibration seems to change frequency and severity with engine RPM not vehicle speed. The trans is a fresh rebuild, so i doubt the bearing is giving me trouble. I'll try the weight on the tailshaft thing, and see if that helps. Any other ideas?

Old 05-23-2007, 04:07 AM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 96 Likes on 81 Posts

Yes , see if your motor mounts are laying on the frame.

Quick Reply: 318/727 driveline vibration, converter?