General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

C.A.I.

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2004, 01:21 AM
ELFEZ
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default C.A.I.

i AM UP IN THE AIR BETWEEN THE AIRAID FIPK AND THE AFE COLD AIR INTAKES. I KNOW THAT THE AFE REQUIRES THE REMOVAL OF THE STOCK RESONATOR BOX(MARKED HEMI 5.7), BUT DOES THE AIRAID KIT AS WELL? I'D HATE TO LOSE THE LOOK OF THE BADGE UNDER THE HOOD, BUT UNDERSTAND SACRAFICES FOR PERFORMANCE.

Old 11-07-2004, 05:41 PM
casper
Legend
Default RE: C.A.I.

Yeah I could understand not wanting to lose the badge, but just an idea, the CAI will look real nice, and you can take the badge off the resonator box and bring it to a local sign shop and have them do a nice badge to put on the CAI that looks the same.

Old 11-07-2004, 07:35 PM
moparturd
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just make sure you get one with an adequate tubing size to serve the Hemi.

Old 11-07-2004, 11:11 PM
ELFEZ

i'M NOT SURE OF THE EXACT SIZE, 3.5", I THINK...
I FIGURE THAT EITHER THE K & N OR THE AFE ARE MANUFACTURED TO THE PROPER SIZE. RIGHT? ANY PERFORMANCE PREFERENCES OUT THERE? DON'T WANT TO WASTE MONEY, JUST GET THE BEST TO BEGIN WITH. THAT'S WHY I'M DRIVIN' A HEMI RAM!

Old 11-07-2004, 11:57 PM
moparturd
Banned

3.5" would be perfect. Some less expensive kits I've seen cut corners on tubing size, but those are good. The TB size is 3.375" inside diameter. Hope this helps.

Old 11-08-2004, 01:30 AM
ELFEZ

AFTER FURTHER REVIEW OF THE SITE I'VE FOUND SOME GOOD INFO. IS THE AFE REALLY PRONE TO TAKING A BATH UNDER BACK ROAD CONDITIONS,, WET SANDY ROADS? I LIKE THE INSULATION WRAP,COLD AIR WISE, BUT THE K&N'S CHROME TUBE CONCERNS ME A LITTLE WITH ENGINE HEAT PENETRATING. DOESN'T THE SFE PRODUCE BETTER DYNO RESULTS AS WELL?

Old 11-14-2004, 02:07 AM
casper
Legend

I don't know about it taking a bath, my CAI is 8-10 inches off the ground and I have a neon, a truck should be much higher up. It should be fine for normal driving, I would not use it if you were gonna off-road or mud bog or anything like that.

Old 11-23-2004, 04:37 AM
TJW815
Veteran

u would have to totally submerge the filter in water to make your engine hydro-lock, but if it worries you, you can get a bypass valve for it the runs inline to the tb, so that if it sucks up water it pulls air from the bypass instead.

Old 11-23-2004, 11:38 AM
BadStratRT
The Forum Tyrant
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

i have a full length CAI in my RT, and sitting still, the filter is about 5 inches from the ground.i have driven in Hard rains, hit big puddles..so on...and no hydrolock issues. ive only ever met one person who has expereinced hydrolock.

Old 11-24-2004, 11:14 AM
moparturd
Banned

I just finished installing the Lowe's Home Improvement CAI on my Hemi. I used 4" dryer duct, the metal piping not the flexible ducting, and modified the box to accept the 4" adapter. The air pick-up is at the base of the rad support, so it's definitely in the coldest air. There was a noticable improvement.

Quick Reply: C.A.I.