General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

throttle body spacer

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2005, 07:39 PM
Vader
Champion
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: throttle body spacer

Yes save for headers, real gains there.
ORIGINAL: nitrospaz19

Wow Am I glad I found this post. I wanted to buy one of the spacers for my truck because I read all that B/S about the hp gains and mpg gains...Guess I will just save for my headers and tints now...

Old 01-19-2005, 10:58 PM
Snafu

Spacers were originally used on carburators, and then for Throttle Body Injection. Both mix the air and fuel before it gets to the intake manifold. The spacer gives a little more area and runner length for the air and fuel to mix for higher burn efficiency, more velocity, and less turbulence. That did increase torque and horsepower quite a bit. On carburated and TBI engines.

However, our engines have Multi Port Injection. All the throttle body does is regulate the volume of air entering the intake. The fuel is injected basically into the intake runner of the cylinder head. Since the fuel is mixed after the intake, hence after the throttle body, a spacer does absolutely nothing but make the air travel further to get to the fuel.

I know, I know. I'm an engineer...

Old 01-25-2005, 07:58 AM
grizleyadams

Thanks to everyone who answered my question about spacers,guess I will check into this fastman throttle body you told me about.I have never heard of them.I will post some pics of the vette and mach1 as soon as I figure out how??
I've just got a new harley so I haven't done too much more on the ram,or other cars,but will get back to them soon. Thanks again for all the input on the throttle bodies.............griz

Old 02-11-2005, 04:25 AM
justaocboy

dead on snafu!!!!! I agree 100%

Old 04-05-2005, 01:45 AM
RedRam02

I installed the Airaid TBS on my 4.7 and there was a little bit of difference there but I haven't had my truck dyno'd yet...

Old 05-31-2005, 05:00 PM
greenmachine
All Star

I installed a spacer also and my mpg increased. No change in torque or horsepower (did not expect any)

Quick Reply: throttle body spacer