General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

What do you think about lowering?

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2005, 08:25 PM
CLIMAXVA
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What do you think about lowering?

I am thinking of lowering my 2004 Dodge Ram 1500 Ouad Cab. But my problem is that there is just lowering kits for my truck. Do you think it would be best to lower it with a kit or level it out by just droping the back. On that subject how do I just drop the back??? I have be looking for a leveling kit for the truck with no luck. ANY IDEAS????

Old 03-24-2005, 08:51 PM
casper
Legend
Default RE: What do you think about lowering?

Air shocks would be the cheapest and easiest way to level it out. You could also cut the springs, take a little off at a time till its low enough for you.

Old 03-24-2005, 11:42 PM
moparturd
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've never thought that lowering a truck is a good thing since you are basically taking the utility out of the truck. I think leveling is a good way to go.

Old 03-25-2005, 01:39 AM
kossuth
Professional

Well, it's your truck and if done right the truck can look great like this but your plans also have to include several factors. Are you using it as a daily driver? What are the laws in your state? I know Virginia has a 14" from the bottom of the steel bumper rule for trucks. What are your roads like? What is your weather like year round? Do you tow any? If so what do you tow? Things like this are what you have to look at. Most 2" drops IE spindles and shackles will be ok for most apps. If you want more though and you want to keep the utility of the truck you must then spend quite a bit to do it right IE airbags. Now remember this, I'm more of a GM guy so 2" rule may not apply to Dodge trucks, so check around and see. They may not make shackles for the rear of these trucks. I know if you flip the axle you can consider it as good as useless unless you airbag it. To say lowering it takes the utility out of it is completely false. You just have to do it correctly. And if you decide to bag it be prepared to bring some cash with you. I've seen dually trucks that pull 12,000 lbs trailers that will lay frame. But they also have dumped about 4K just in the airbag system. My little S10 is lowered 4/5 statically and it's pretty much useless to haul with LOL. I haven't touched my dodge at all though. I vowed to leave something stock at least LOL. Look around and take any advice with a grain of salt.

Old 03-25-2005, 02:01 AM
CLIMAXVA

Thanks for your advise (all advise). The truck is for the most part a daily driver, I have a bike that I ride whenever possiable, considering the weather is nice. I am not looking to do anything to drastic, all I looking for is to make the rear of the truck height as close as I can to the front that is all. I haul things from time to time but it is usually just my bike to go to different places, nothing really heavy. I don't really want to bag it because of the money and other thing. So what are my other opinions????

Old 03-25-2005, 03:00 AM
kossuth
Professional

www.belltechcorp.com they have kits for your truck.

Old 03-25-2005, 04:29 PM
CLIMAXVA

thank you for the help

Old 04-05-2005, 01:34 AM
RedRam02

Belltech makes a rear lowering shackle kit for your truck. They provide a 1 - 3 inch rear drop to the rear of your truck for a more level look. I bought a set of them for about $85.

Quick Reply: What do you think about lowering?