General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Trans prob

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2005, 09:45 AM
brdhntr
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trans prob

Hey guys, I am having a problem with my transmission. I have a 99 dodge ram 1500. 236k miles. the trans was rebuilt at about 150k. I am now having some trans probs. A few weeks ago the o/d went off and then a few minutes later the temp light came on. I was a couple blocks from work so i parked it and before i went home I checked the fluid level. It was a tad low so I added some ATF +3. I havent had the problem till again today. Same thing happened except this time i lost 3rd gear. I know this is a safety issue for the transmission. I checked the fluid and it was at the right level. I have a trans cooler. Any suggestions what might be causing this? I changed the fluid about 15k ago.
Thanks

Old 03-28-2005, 10:05 AM
casper
Legend
Default RE: Trans prob

Thats a lot of miles, I would have it serviced again. Maybe just a band adjustment will fix it?

Old 04-10-2005, 11:08 AM
brdhntr

Not a lot of miles after it was rebuilt.

Here is more info just happened again. I have a trans cooler. checked the fluid level when o/d went off and trans temp came on. It was overfilled. The return hose from the trans cooler though wasnt hot[sm=dontgetit.gif] Now under normal conditions when the o/d light and trans temp ARE NOT on, it is at normal level. I have a feeling somehow the fluid is not going to the trans cooler??? Any suggestions what might be causing this?

Old 04-10-2005, 01:18 PM
casper
Legend

Is it piped right? Are the hoses/ cooler clogged?

Old 05-21-2005, 02:23 PM
badram1500
Veteran

little older post but here go's. If you haven't figured it out yet there is a check valve in the lower cooler line on the radiator. This little bugger will stick shut and cause just the problems your describing. Had one stick, had two stick then went to local parts store and had new end without the check valve crimped on. works fine

Old 05-21-2005, 11:50 PM
kota98
Rookie

check your service manual I think the tranny sposed to have atf+4 and these trannys have been known to have problems with wrong fluid I have had the tranny guy tell me mopar 7176 (I thinkI double check I wrote it down in my manual)
Rick

Old 06-18-2005, 06:40 PM
badram1500
Veteran

7176 is atf +3. atf+4 is 9602 and the check valve will stick with either fluid. The valve is there to prevent the converter from draining back into the pan if the truck sits for a long time. Sonnex makes a different mannual valve and pressure regulator valve for the valve body to fix this.

Quick Reply: Trans prob