General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

2003 HEMI Transmission Problem

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2004 | 01:08 AM
jetskimechanic
Default 2003 HEMI Transmission Problem

Well it happened... My wife came home after picking one of the kids up and she said there funny light was on the dash. So I went out and looked and it was the Engine dummy light. I looked at the owner manual and called the dealer right away... He said bring it in. I did and they ran a code test and it was a tranny error...

They said they have to check it out and then let me know what they have to do...

This is my question? Has anyone had this problem??? You pay 35,000 for a new truck with 9000 miles on it and then this!!! I was really haoping I had a bug free one...

Old 02-13-2004 | 10:36 PM
04hemi
Default RE: 2003 HEMI Transmission Problem

well i have bad news for ya.

you purchased the first year model of the hemi wich is always a bad idea to buy the first model out.

ive been there and done that...
im having problems with my work truck its the new 6.0 ford diesal, already blew a motor and been in shop like 10 times for major fixes. its only 8 months old...

just pray you get all the bugs worked out before the warranty ends.....

Old 02-15-2004 | 08:08 AM
71RoadRunner
Legend

Thats one of the reasons that I don't have an SRT-4, I'm waiting to see how well they hold up to some punishment.[sm=smiley36.gif]

Old 03-05-2004 | 06:42 PM
jetskimechanic

OK, Fine I understand buying the first year you get the bugs but has anyone else have this problem??? They have to replace a solinoid in the transmission pan area... stupid 8.00 part???

Old 03-05-2004 | 08:28 PM
GOT HEMI?

I haven't had that problem, however, a few times when going from reverse to drive, the truck gets confused and it takes a few seconds to shift into drive, the rpms drop as well. It almost stalls. Last night the truck refused to start it took 3 key turns before it staied running.

03 hemi ram quad cab 12k miles

Old 03-06-2004 | 07:16 AM
71RoadRunner
Legend

Well, I got an '04 SRT-4 anyway.

I know of someone with an '04 Hemi Ram that is in the same boat, it's back in for the tranny problem for the second time. They're(the dealerships service department) saying that it's a computer board and Chrysler is saying that it isn't, so they are changing the board to prove it to Chrysler. I'll let you know how it goes.

Old 03-07-2004 | 01:46 AM
dodgemech
All Star

The trans behind the HEMI is NOT a first year run, it's a proven trans, has been in use many years now. Like everything else now a days it's all computer controlled with lots of gizmos and gadjets. Funny how people don't "slam" their computer manufacter every time it goes down, it's kinda expected. I got news for you, your new car has 10X the amount of boards and drivers that your computer does and 10000X the amount of wiring. If you want to complain try the EPA or yourselves, you and the govt are only getting what asked for. Lower emissions and creature comforts come with a price. My 68 start, shifts and runs like a top evryday without exception, of course it is destroying the ozone and only gets 8MPG, oh and get this I have roll my windows down by hand.

Old 03-07-2004 | 03:59 AM
71RoadRunner
Legend

If I had it my way there would be only one simply computer for the fuel injection set ups and turbos/superchargers. All the rest would be carburated and all mechanical. Computers for transmissions completely eludes me, why did they ever start putting computers in for the transmissions to begin with? My Roadrunners automatic transmission has always worked GREAT and thats after 33+ years of service with the occasional tire frying and no rebuilds. It is currently out of the car for saving and a non-matching numbers street/strip built transmission is in it's place.

Old 03-23-2004 | 02:06 AM
alexcam

i have a 2003 1500 hemi. i also have had a trans problem, i got stuck in 3rd gear. they changed a solenoid ( the problem) and the valve body (i dont know why) and everything seems fine since.
i do believe the trans for the hemi is a new trans. the hemi uses a 5 spd trans that actually has 2 2nd gears one for upshifts and one for downshifts or kickdowns.
and to 04hemi my friend had several major engine problems and has had his truck in the shop 12 times with his new ford diesel and had to fight but is getting a new truck.

Old 03-23-2004 | 11:03 PM
gpzjack
Veteran

I have a tennant at work who bought a brand new ford with the 6.0 and it blew two motors within a few months of new. He's a nut and called ford. He now has another one with a diff motor and has no problems yet. Fix Or Repair Daily.

Quick Reply: 2003 HEMI Transmission Problem