General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

No Bus?

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2005, 09:01 PM
baddstratus
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default No Bus?

I just bought a 97 stratus with the 2.4. It had a blown headgasket and the head was warped beyond use so i bought a new one. I put it all back together and it ran fine and then I found out why it had a blown headgasket to begin with, the water pump was leaking bad. So i changed the waterpump and as i was putting it back together i was hooking the alternator wires back on and i forgot the battery was still hooked up and it shorted against the intake. So I finished putting it all back together and now it spins over but wont start. I checked and it doesnt have any spark. Also whats weird is when it spins over for a few seconds a display on the dash says "NO BUS". Any help would be highly appreciated. Thanx, Phil

Old 05-04-2005, 10:09 PM
BadStratRT
The Forum Tyrant
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: No Bus?

wow...im sorry phil but ive never heard of that...it sounds like you may have fried the engine controller..i am going to move this to the tech section..hopefully someone can help you out there.

Old 05-04-2005, 11:38 PM
moparturd
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

HAve you checked all the fuses and any fusible links that may feed the breakers and fuses.

Old 05-04-2005, 11:47 PM
BadStratRT
The Forum Tyrant
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

i just cant figure what no bus is...i figured one of our mopar techs might see this and know...

Old 05-05-2005, 12:54 AM
Ken
Rookie

"No BUS", usually displayed on the odometer, is the vehicle telling you that the various computers cant talk to each other.

The BUS is the communication cicuit for the modules. I agree with Mopartodd; check all the fuses (underhood and junction block) and links.

Old 05-05-2005, 01:38 AM
baddstratus

Hey, thanks guys, I like this place, this is my first day on here. I need to add that I checked all the fuses and relays under the hood and in the car and they were all good except one 10 amp fuse under the hood that is for the downstream oxygen sensor and I traced that back to the ASD relay. The ASD relay had power going to it but according to a wiring diagram I have it says the Powertrain control module sends the ground to the ASD that in turn sends power to that fuse, plus it sends power to the coil pack and the injectors, which i then checked and they weren't getting power either. So I grounded the relay and it sent power to the oxygen sensor and the coil pack and injectors but it still wouldnt start. So I figured it must be the PCM. So I bought a new one and it does the exact same thing. I know it's probably going to be something simple, I just wish i knew what it was. I've only driven it about 2 miles so far and it seemed pretty nice. But thanks for helping me and hopefully someone has killed their stratus like me before and can help me fix mine. hehe Phil

Old 05-21-2006, 12:01 AM
russellsomething

ok im no mechanic well actully i rebuild alison transmissions or at least i use to but i have a 99 dodge durango and had the same problem no bus on the odometer i freind contacted a friend at the dealership and they told them it was one of three things its the computer, dash cluster or loss wireing but one thing that will tell you if its the computer is if you hook a scan computer up on the inside of your car and the vehicle powers the scan devise up but reads nothing then it is most deffenitly the computer gone bad which will run you about $375 rebuilt with auto zone which takes 4 to 6 weeks or you can get a used one no warrenty for the same price in about 7 to 10 days but i have another problem now i think my ignition is bad from the same time because it wouldnt start but i ran a targa switch from battery to starter selinoid and it started right up if its not one thing it is another