General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
View Poll Results: A poll
TRUE
81.82%
FALSE
18.18%
Voters: 22. You may not vote on this poll

I use synthetic oil in my vehicle

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2004, 12:44 AM
dodgemech
All Star
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: I use synthetic oil in my vehicle

castrol sytec is not a true sythetic. The only true sythetics are Mobil 1, Amsoil, Redline, and Royal purple. everything is a blend that passes the U.S. guidlines for labeling a s synthetic

Old 03-06-2004, 01:13 AM
dustyloins
R.I.P. Dusty (Retired Moderator
Hall of Fame Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

OK, first of all, the "reply line" in this message is all wrong. I've NEVER mentioned anything about Castrol in my postings...people need to pay more attention to the message they are replying to! Second, I agree with the list of true synthetics but I caution against using "Redline" in a street car application per Redline's own recommendations (see their website/ads). I don't know enough about Royal Purple to make any recommendation one way or the other....stick with Mobile 1 or Amsoil syn![sm=smiley20.gif][sm=smiley29.gif][sm=smiley4.gif]

Old 03-06-2004, 01:37 AM
dodgemech
All Star

was replying to lawntycoon's statement of using castrol syntec

Old 03-06-2004, 01:49 AM
sgbofav
Professional

I use Amsoil's SAE 10w-30 oil and SAE 75w-90 gear lube. I picked up a consistent 1.5 mpg in both trucks. My Dakota has 12,000 miles and 10 months on it's oil. I'm going to upgrade to Amsoil's Series 3000 5w-30 HD diesel and fleet oil and run a Bmk-11 bypass system. 100,000 mile + oil change intervals with the above set-up are fairly common.

Here are links to the different bypass systems available from Amsoil. Ask Syntheticsman (Kale) for more info. http://www.amsoil.com/bypassfilters/index.htm

You can learn alot about oil here: http://www.amsoil.com/lit/g52.pdf

Old 03-06-2004, 07:26 AM
71RoadRunner
Legend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: dodgemech

was replying to lawntycoon's statement of using castrol syntec
He thought you were replying to him because at the top of your post it says "RE: I use synthetic oil in my vehicle (in reply to Dustyloins)"

Everytime you click on "post reply" at the bottom it will say "in reply to" to the last person that posted, if you are commenting to an earlier post then simply find it and click on the "reply" icon at the top of their post.[sm=smiley23.gif][sm=smiley2.gif] I forget to do it once in awhile myself.[sm=smiley29.gif][sm=smiley36.gif]

Old 03-06-2004, 05:04 PM
dustyloins
Hall of Fame Member

Yeah, I DID learn a lot about oil reading the info on their website. The only thing that bothered me was the discrepancy between the website and the label on the jugs of 10W-30 Amsoil synthetic I bought concerning oil changes on turbocharged cars i.e., the website says you can go six months, etc, etc and the label says to change it based on the manufacturers recommendation. Other than that, I liked the website. [sm=smiley14.gif]

Old 03-06-2004, 07:52 PM
Randy_W
Professional

ORIGINAL: dodgemech

castrol sytec is not a true sythetic. The only true sythetics are Mobil 1, Amsoil, Redline, and Royal purple. everything is a blend that passes the U.S. guidlines for labeling a s synthetic
Please explain in detail what you mean. This is a direct quote from Castrol!

Introducing another product that Outperforms! Castrol SYNTEC is the first major full synthetic oil brand to offer a 5W-20 that is specifically formulated to meet the needs of Ford and Honda 5W-20 service.

Old 03-06-2004, 09:29 PM
dustyloins
Hall of Fame Member

Castrol does in fact make a fully synthetic motor oil, called SYNTEC. It also makes a synthetic blend oil called SYNTEC BLEND, which is what the name says, a blended oil. Amsoil also makes a syn blend oil in addition to their 100% synthetic oil line. I haven't seen much info on SYNTEC.[sm=smiley14.gif][sm=smiley4.gif]

Old 03-06-2004, 11:15 PM
sgbofav
Professional

ORIGINAL: dustyloins

Yeah, I DID learn a lot about oil reading the info on their website. The only thing that bothered me was the discrepancy between the website and the label on the jugs of 10W-30 Amsoil synthetic I bought concerning oil changes on turbocharged cars i.e., the website says you can go six months, etc, etc and the label says to change it based on the manufacturers recommendation. Other than that, I liked the website. [sm=smiley14.gif]
Here is their official chart: http://www.amsoil.com/lit/g1490.pdf

Go by the chart, not by the bottle.

According to the chart, you can drive up to three times your normal interval or 6 months. Your supposed to do whatever comes first.
If you currently run 2500 miles, a 7500 interval is safe. Since your car is modded, I'd run 6000 miles and then do an oil analysis ($18.00) to see how well your engine and oil are doing. You can adjust your oil change interval based on their findings.

In non-turbocharged 4 stroke vehicles, the 10w-30 turbo formula is warrantied for 1 year or 25,000 miles by Amsoil

Here is a performance test using the same oil: http://www.amsoil.com/performancetests/sequence_3f.htm

Bill,

Old 03-07-2004, 12:16 AM
dustyloins
Hall of Fame Member

Bill, I'm not questioning the quality of Amsoil in the least....I'm putting it in MY vehicle at the next oil change. But the chart posted on the website recommends longer intervals between oil changes than the jug of oil itself does...is that an administrative oversight?

Also, in the fine print at the bottom of the chart, after note #11, it says "Notice: More frequent service may be required under severe service operating conditions." Any mechanic worth his/her salt can tell you 90% of the cars in the USA fall under the "severe service" catagory. The SRT-4 owner's manual mentions this as well and my service advisor told me to go by the "severe service" schedule outlined in the owner's manual.

I guess the bottom line is I'm not going to extend the oil change intervals if I'm running Mobil 1, Amsoil, Red Line, Royal Purple, or Castrol SYNTEC. Gotta go by what the people who built the car say, at least for the next 7 yrs/70,000 miles...And Amsoil is a great product...I buy it, I use it, and I highly recommend it!!![sm=smiley20.gif][sm=smiley4.gif][sm=smiley1.gif][sm=smiley2.gif][sm=smiley17.gif]

Quick Reply: I use synthetic oil in my vehicle