General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Transmission Electronics Noise?

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2005, 03:33 PM
PARoadRunner
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Transmission Electronics Noise?

My stratus (V-6 Automatic) makes strange noises when either shifting from one gear to the next, or when shifting from Reverse, Park, Drive, etc. When Im driving, as I accelerate or decelerate, I hear this muted buzzing noise that last for about 3/4 of a second, probably as the gears change. Ive only had the car for about a week, and so far this doesnt seem to be causing any problems with the driveability of the car or the feel of the transmission. I am concerned that the electronics might be screwy or something. I dont know if the noise is audible from the outside of the car, as I am the only person who drives it, but it is definately something I hear from inside the car. Anyone know what this is? How can I fix this, its annoying! Could it be my ABS?

Old 08-30-2005, 04:03 PM
Drew
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Transmission Electronics Noise?

ive heard the noise your talking about and I hear it all the time in minivans. I thing it may just be the solenoids itghtening the bands as you go through the gears

Old 08-30-2005, 09:21 PM
PARoadRunner
Professional

Ive been driving minivans and SUVs for a couple of years and I have never heard this noise on any of those cars to this degree. It really sounds bad, especially when Im pulling out of a parking space and the rest of the car is still quiet.

Update:

I asked about this on allexperts.com and a dodge mechanic said this buzz is caused by the shift sensor and that it might go away on its own...Dont know how I feel about that. This noise makes my car sound like an old refigerator when it shifts.

Old 08-31-2005, 12:49 AM
s22479a

PA., The ratcheting noise you are hearing is a mostly normal condition:Let me explain. On the front side of the transmission (you have a 41TE trans) there is a solenoid pack that controls all the hydraulic actions inside the trans. The "ratcheting" sound is the solenoids actuating. These things vary as to how loud they are. Some have a noise shield and some didn't come with them from the factory. Chrysler has recently issued a bulletin telling us NOT to reinstall the shield if replacing a solenoid pack. I guess it is related to a heat/failure issue. A noisey pack DOES NOT indicate impending failure. Any noise you can hear when it shifts at a higher speed isn't normal but at slow speeds or parking lot maneuvers it is a normal condition. Fortuneately, Chrysler did include,(at no extra price) a **** on the dash that will solve all your problems with unwanted noise in the vehicle. Turn it clockwise until all unwanted sounds can no longer be heard. hahaha. Mike

Old 08-31-2005, 01:38 AM
PARoadRunner
Professional

Youre not serious...right?
You mean the radio volume ****....you got my hopes up for a sec.
I guess I feel better that the sound is normal, but it still makes me cringe when i hear it. There must be at least 100 other people on this campus with a stratus or a plymouth breeze or a chrysler cirrus. I will have to ask one of them if their cars have the same prob.
thanks

nother question: lets say I turn on the car, reverse out of a parking spot, and shift to drive. Should I wait till the solenoids are finished making the noise or can i accelerate? (Not that I intend to get fancy with parking lot maneuvers but just curious)

Old 09-02-2005, 01:21 AM
s22479a

PA., Just ignore the ratcheting sound and drive as you normally would. As for the questions in the PM you sent me: If you are hearing grinding from the rear brakes then the parts replacement you mentioned is probably right. Here is a way to save some bucks: Find a friend that knows how to work on brakes, have him (or if you are lucky,her,hehehe) pull it apart and see what you need, get a few cases of their favorite alcoholic beverage and have them fix it. Just be sure to do the brakes BEFORE giving them payment. Without the car in front of me its hard to be real specific. Yes it has a timing belt, replace it at about 80k. If you can get it scanned for the abs sensor code, identify which one it is. Replacement is relatively easy unless you have a wiring problem so you may want to have a shop or the dealer look at that. You may get in over your head with the abs. Hope this helps. Mike

Old 09-02-2005, 01:08 PM
PARoadRunner
Professional

the place i took it to first that tried to rob me said it was the ABS speed sensor causing the ABS light. Of course, I have no idea if thats true or not. I wont worry about the transmission, and I already have a buddy looking at the brakes for me tomorrow. Things should work out hopefully.

Old 09-04-2005, 10:40 AM
faustburger

Visit the myCarStats.com and give some info+register your car to check all recalls concerning your car model and the year.
I think you find some recalls concerning transmission noise.
If listed please take a visit to your dealer and have repaired.

Old 09-05-2005, 10:53 PM
PARoadRunner
Professional

I'll look into it and update. thanks

Quick Reply: Transmission Electronics Noise?