General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Uneven Brake Wear

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2005, 02:46 PM
PARoadRunner
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Uneven Brake Wear

After my Strat got towed to the shop, I looked at my rear brakes and noticed that the right side was severely worn out while the left side was in considerably better shape. The right wheel cylinder was also the one that popped...I think this might be a related problem. Other than just changing the drums pads and wheel cylinder, what might be the problem causing this?

The system is 4-wheel abs with front rotors and back drums. There is an ABS light on which might be pointing to an ABS problem...

Old 09-12-2005, 03:11 PM
DevilsReject
Noob Assassin
Default RE: Uneven Brake Wear

Your ABS light could be on due to pressure loss/failure in the brake system.

Old 09-12-2005, 04:18 PM
pembroke dude
Professional

If the ABS light is on i always recomend it be checked as well as a full brake inspection to ensure no stone is unturned whan it comes to diagnosing a brake system.
I think u should get it checked out bye the pros and even get a second opinion if you think you need one.

Old 09-15-2005, 09:36 AM
thump186
Record Breaker

Alot of the time on a drum brake sytem having uneven wear is caused by being out of adjustment. Drum brake systems are supposed to be self adjusting but unlike caliper and rotor systems they are mechanicly adjusted. meaning they use a small ratching type adjuster between the lower part of the shoes which lenghtens and holds the lower part of the shoes apart, then when the pedal is pressed fluid pressure pushes on the pistons inside of the wheel cylinder putting pressure on the top of the shoes forcing them out into contact with the drum. Your shoes being out of adjustment and one shoe set being worn past tolerances made the cylinder pistons over extend and is probally what caused your failure. Don't get me wrong worn out or stcking parts can also cause a failure but by the sounds the example i gave was the cause of your failure.

Old 09-15-2005, 04:06 PM
PARoadRunner
Professional

hmmm, that definately sounds probable. How often do you guys check out your brakes to make sure everything is ok? Only when theres a problem?

Old 09-21-2005, 11:42 PM
thump186
Record Breaker

I have disc brakes on mine all around so check them is easy. I check the every couple of months and work my ebrake once a month just to keoo the cable free and moving.

Old 09-26-2005, 08:33 AM
PARoadRunner
Professional

ummm, i use my e-brake all the time...Is that bad? Im a New York City driver, its just something i grew up doing...

Old 09-26-2005, 09:24 AM
thump186
Record Breaker

no using your ebrake often is not a bad thing it keeps it free and moving.

Quick Reply: Uneven Brake Wear