Jeeps The tough off road capability of ANY Jeep model from the Wrangler to the fully loaded Grand Cherokee keeps this cousin of Dodge the king of every hill.

LED replacement bulbs for fog lights

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2013, 08:02 PM
SirZog
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LED replacement bulbs for fog lights

I have a brand new 97' Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo. OK, new to me. I am going through the systems doing maintenance and the like and want to replace the somewhat weak fog light lamps to LEDs that are brighter and draw less power.

Has anyone has success with LEDs or replace the plastic lens with glass and install halogens?

Thanks

~E

Old 02-20-2013, 10:19 AM
Alfons
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by SirZog
I have a brand new 97' Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo. OK, new to me. I am going through the systems doing maintenance and the like and want to replace the somewhat weak fog light lamps to LEDs that are brighter and draw less power.

Has anyone has success with LEDs or replace the plastic lens with glass and install halogens?

Thanks

~E

Modifying a light assembly with a different type of light source isn't always a good idea, the assembly interior, such as the light source mounting and especially the reflector are designed for the original light source and the intent of the light assembly (fog light in your case). You would need multiple LEDs and a specially designed reflector & lens to project enough light in the pattern that you really want. It's a lot easier to modify things like dash lights where the projection doesn't matter much, tail lights, marker lights, etc., need a bit more attention and here, it's easier to buy an assembly that includes the mounting and reflector for the LEDs and then you can bury that behind the original tail lens. For anything where you want to depend on the amount of light and it's pattern, I'd recommend getting the whole assembly that's been designed for that source.

A brighter individual light source, like a halogen bulb, is easier to work with if you plan on modifying an OEM assembly. Here, you can often get a kit that will include the bulb mounts as an integral part of the reflector - this ensures the bulb is positioned properly to get the proper pattern. If you don't change the lens, you'll have brighter lights but not an optimal pattern. I recommend buying a quality assembly - complete, ready to "bolt on". Also, I wouldn't worry about the power savings, a jeep is a gas guzzler regardless of the electrical power savings.

If you really want to improve your performance a bit as well as save on your fuel cost a bit, I'd recommend changing the mechanical cooling fan to an electric one. I like the 2 speed Ford Taurus variety, but one isn't for everyone either - the control system needs to be able to handle high in-rush current to start it up.

Quick Reply: LED replacement bulbs for fog lights