Jeeps The tough off road capability of ANY Jeep model from the Wrangler to the fully loaded Grand Cherokee keeps this cousin of Dodge the king of every hill.

Serious oil leak issue - 2014 3.6L/3.2L Pentastar

Old 05-15-2014, 04:13 PM
co-utah
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Serious oil leak issue - 2014 3.6L/3.2L Pentastar

I don't know what forum to put this thread in, since it affects every 2014 Chrysler product with the 3.6 or 3.2L Pentastar V6.

I have a 2014 Jeep Wrangler with the 3.6L. I had a major oil leak, and when I took it in, the dealer replaced part number 68105583AA , which is the oil filter adapter. It is a molded plastic part that sits on top of the engine in the valley of the V, under the intake manifold, and which contains the oil filter cartridge, the oil cooler and oil and coolant passages.

I did a LOT of research on the reliability of the 3.6L before I bought my Jeep, and I had never heard of this happening. I thought it was ridiculous that a non load bearing part would crack, so I did some research. Sure enough, this is a brand new part for 2014, and there are dozens of people on various internet forums reporting the issue. The part is used on every 3.6L and apparently a nearly identical part is used on the Cherokee 3.2L, and 2014 Cherokee owners have reported the same issue.

I was led to this forum because of this thread from a Durango owner who had the same issue: https://dodgeforum.com/forum/3rd-gen...go-rallye.html

So, if you have an oil leak on your 2014 3.6L or 3.2L Pentastar V6 and the dealer replaces the "oil filter adapter" or "oil cooler cover", try to get the part number they replaced an verify that it was 68105583AA. Post a reply here, so we can keep track of this. We need to force Chrysler to give us a redesigned part that won't crack. It is one thing for a Challenger or Caravan to get a leak in the suburbs, but Jeeps and Rams might be hours from nowhere when it breaks.

This could be a very serious issue. If someone doesn't notice the leak, they could experience an engine fire or seized engine. At the very least, it causes a tow if it is a bad enough crack.

Last edited by co-utah; 05-15-2014 at 04:19 PM.
The following users liked this post:
COGearhead (10-30-2019)
Old 09-07-2015, 08:34 PM
long Island Larry
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil filter housing leak on 2014 Town & Country

[QUOTE=co-utah;3165512]I don't know what forum to put this thread in, since it affects every 2014 Chrysler product with the 3.6 or 3.2L Pentastar V6.

I have a 2014 Jeep Wrangler with the 3.6L. I had a major oil leak, and when I took it in, the dealer replaced part number 68105583AA , which is the oil filter adapter. It is a molded plastic part that sits on top of the engine in the valley of the V, under the intake manifold, and which contains the oil filter cartridge, the oil cooler and oil and coolant passages.

I did a LOT of research on the reliability of the 3.6L before I bought my Jeep, and I had never heard of this happening. I thought it was ridiculous that a non load bearing part would crack, so I did some research. Sure enough, this is a brand new part for 2014, and there are dozens of people on various internet forums reporting the issue. The part is used on every 3.6L and apparently a nearly identical part is used on the Cherokee 3.2L, and 2014 Cherokee owners have reported the same issue.

I was led to this forum because of this thread from a Durango owner who had the same issue: https://dodgeforum.com/forum/3rd-gen...go-rallye.html

Hi all,
I've been surfing through the net define something about this oil housing filter that leaks. I have a 2014 town and country. I too experienced droppage a boil all of my driveway. I brought the car into Garden City Chrysler and they told me that someone tighten the oil filter Too tightly and a cracked therefore having this oil drip all of my engine and driveway. Since they did not do the oil change, it is not their responsibility and is not covered under warranty. I do not drive his car often so my old change was done five months ago. This just started happening a few days ago. The dealer told me that it's going to cost $800 to replace the oil filter housing. I contacted Chrysler and they just gave me the runaround and told me that there's nothing they can do after 45 minutes on the phone but they did give me a complaint number for me to keep for my files. I contacted another dealership they told me the party is going to cost me $125 and is extremely simple to replace it should take me no more than an hour so I contacted my mechanic and brought the car over to him along with the $125 part he then charged me $65 to put it on.
Unfortunately I had to go somewhere else to go get my oil changed because Garden City Chrysler kept on telling me I'm sorry they don't have the time they're very busy I would have to leave the car for about a week. So that's why I went to Thursday you to a local place to have my own oil changed.
I'm so glad this is a leased vehicle and I have one more year to get rid of this POS!
I just want to thank Chrysler and Garden City Jeep Chrysler for the wonderful service that they would never provide me.
This will be the last Chrysler vehicle I lease.

Long Island Larry

Old 10-01-2016, 04:27 PM
Djweaz

I have had this issue and did some research as to what it is and t it was under warranty with the dealership. Set up an appointment for last Thursday dropped my truck off and waited for them to call me from the dealership. When I was called back I was told that it was $589. Whoa wait who does something without quoting and what about the warranty? I was told that the cooler housing was cracked by someone changing the oil. That because of that they weren't honoring the warranty because t was cracked voided it. I wasn't having that and called Chrysler. The first person I spoke with her sided with the dealership and we got into it ending when she hung up on me. I called back got someone else and they verified it was under warranty from any angle you look at it it was under warranty. He thanked me for being a long time Chrysler customer 20 years full of grand cherokees a Cherokee a commander and now a Ram 1500 combined well over a million miles. He escalated the issue and put in a ticket. Waiting for them to review it hopefully hear from them Monday. If I have to pay for this I will never buy Chrysler again. Either way I will never purchase a nut or bolt from this dealership. Has anybody else had this issue concerning warranty?

Old 10-10-2016, 09:53 PM
Hssing Cobra

I'm going through this right now with my 2014 Dodge Grand Caravan with the 3.6 liter V-6 and 6-speed automatic transmission. It's got 44,000 miles and a 5 year/100,000 mile powertrain warranty.

Two weeks ago the check engine light came on the transmission started shifting funny. Mainly, it wouldn't down shift or wouldn't upshift to the 5th or 6th gears on the highway. This problem was intermittent, which means that sometimes the light would be on and the tranny wouldn't shift correctly and other times it wouldn't be on and the transmission would be working correctly. After a week and a half of this, I called the shop last week and made an appointment for this coming Wednesday, 10/12/16. I then began doing some online research and discovered that there must be an engine code that would show up due to the light being on. Thus, I took it to Autozone and the code that popped up was a P06DD which has something to do with the oiling system.

On Saturday night, 10/8/16, I drove it to a friend's house for a night out and the light was not on and the transmission shifted fine. On the way home, the light was on and the transmission was shifting incorrectly again. Yesterday morning (10/9/16), I got a call from my friend who informed me to check my oil level as he discovered a large puddle of it on the ground where I had parked the night before. I checked the level and there was none showing on the dipstick. I didn't drive the van at all since checking the oil but this morning, I added 6 quarts and called AAA to have them tow it to my dealer. I called the dealer to let them know that it would be coming in two days early and I then went to the dealer to meet with the service manager. I talked to him about the problems of the past two weeks and then showed him that the entire driver's side of the engine was covered in oil (not the passenger side where the oil filter, filler neck, and dipstick are located).

He informed me that this is a common problem on these engines because the entire housing is made out of plastic and that people are overtightening the oil filter caps, cracking the housing. He also said that it may not be covered under warranty if this has been determined to be the case. He made me sign a piece of paper indicating that I would have to pay the dealer $115.00 as a diagnosis fee if this is not covered by warranty.

I then informed him that I've been doing my own oil changes every 6,000 miles since the van was new and I've never overtightened the oil filter cap. I usually spin it on by hand until it stops and then use my socket/ratchet assembly to close it until the 0-ring seats and both pieces of plastic are tight together. I also informed him that I've been educating myself on the internet in regards to this and have found numerous people dealing with the same issue.

We'll see how this all plays out.

Last edited by Hssing Cobra; 12-28-2016 at 05:21 PM.
Old 12-28-2016, 04:29 PM
edwardconway1@verizon.net

I have what seems to be the same issue. I'm very curious how yours turned out... and it's interesting that the time frame is very similar... on your 2014.... having issues in October 2016, and I'm having them now in December 2016.

My 2014 Dodge Durango with the Penstar 3.6 V-6 8 speed automatic. Check engine light came on two days ago, dealer can't look at it until next week, so I brought it to Autozone and got the code P06DD also. Most likely cause - replace Oil Pump... I checked oil, and it was low... brought it to a local Mechanic - who showed me that the oil was down 2.5 quarts and had a leak near the bottom (not near the filter). He topped the oil off, and now I'm waiting to bring it to the dealer. I read in another dodge forum that same engine code problem is caused be a faulty oil pressure sensor, which can cause oil leaks when it fails.

I'll be sure and post what the dealer tells me when they are finally able to look at it....(another problem with Dealers... they can't seem to understand the concept of real time service). This is a real time issue, where the problem is a potential safety / fire hazard issue... they should see the vehicle asap.

Let me know how this was finally resolved for you.

Last edited by edwardconway1@verizon.net; 12-28-2016 at 04:32 PM.
Old 12-28-2016, 05:15 PM
Hssing Cobra

Well, my scenario did not play out too well for me. The dealer told me that "someone cracked the oil filter housing on the last oil change" and would not cover it under warranty. I don't know how they came to that conclusion because I've done all the oil changes on this vehicle from day one by myself and the last one was at 40,000 miles (4,000 miles and well over a month before the engine light and trouble started). If I had cracked it myself, I would have had issues from the moment that the oil change had been done. Furthermore, in order to inspect the damaged oil filter housing, the dealer would have had to remove the upper intake manifold in order to see the damage as it's underneath the intake, facing the firewall. I argued vehemently to no avail. I also called Chrysler headquarters and was told that it should be covered by the warranty but that they would have to talk to the dealer first. The dealer informed them that it was cracked during an oil change. Thus, I had to pay $540.00 for them to fix it and I did not get my original part back so that I could inspect it. I guess that my only saving grace is that I did not continue to drive it. If I had, I would have cooked the bearings in the motor and would have needed a brand new engine.

I've done a lot of research on this very issue and it's popping up all over the internet. Whether this motor has been installed in a Jeep, Grand Caravan, Town & Country, Journey, Durango, or any other vehicle, they keep breaking. Most of them are cracking where the aluminum oil cooler mounts to the plastic housing, which also has the low pressure switches and the oil filter housing attached. It's a KNOWN PROBLEM THAT CHRYSLER WILL NOT FIX NOR COVER UNDER WARRANTY. I will save my receipt in the event that a recall is issued and if so, will it submit for a rebate.

Good luck on your issue.

Last edited by Hssing Cobra; 12-28-2016 at 05:20 PM.
Old 12-29-2016, 03:58 PM

Dealer told me today there are two issues. Oil Pump needs to be replaced, which is covered under warranty; and that's what threw off the check engine light. That said, he also told me the Adapter Oil Filter Housing Cooler Assembly was cracked because whoever changed the oil torqued the filter too much when installing. He said they are easy to crack, if you are not properly trained. I don't change my own oil, I get it done by a national chain that I assumed should be trained properly. Needless to say, the $566 dollars the dealer wants for that fix is not covered under warranty. That I should complain to the people who changed the oil and try and get reimbursed. So... who should I be pissed at? Dodge for making a product that is so easily broken? Now they are designing products to fail? Or the national oil changing chain for making this mistake? Or perhaps they are both at fault? One thing is for sure, I'm not letting this issue go. Someone - (not me) is going to pay. When you lease a 55K vehicle, you don't expect to have these issues. The part is "cheap" and easily breakable... it should not be designed that way in an area of the car where maintennence is frequent. Maybe they designed it that way on purpose in order to generate more revenue for their own dealer service departments? Wouldn't put it past them.

Last edited by edwardconway1@verizon.net; 12-29-2016 at 04:04 PM.
Old 12-29-2016, 07:27 PM
Hssing Cobra

This is a picture of your Oil Filter Housing Cooler Assembly.

Notice how the oil filter housing is on the right hand side (passenger side of the vehicle) and the oil cooler is on the left hand side with the pressure switches? IT'S ALL ONE SINGLE UNIT! As I suspect with mine (oil all over the driver's side of the motor and engine compartment) - the oil cooler was faulty but they blamed it on my oil changes. If I had cracked the oil filter housing, the oil would have been covering the entire passenger side of the engine compartment.

So, the dealer said that the oil pump has to be replaced? Why is that? As for the oil cooler/oil filter plastic housing assembly, it's a cheap piece of chit! The aluminum cooler on top of the plastic housing has been troublesome from day one and has been known to cause excessive oil leaks. If you have the vehicle at your house and have the ability to do some mechanical work, you may want to remove the upper intake manifold (watch youtube videos) so that you can inspect the entire unit by yourself. I wish I had before I had mine towed to the dealer!

I am convinced that the oil change place DID NOT BREAK your housing if it was done well over a month ago (like mine was). How long has it been since the oil change? If they had broken it, it would have been leaking as soon as you pulled out of their shop and you would have been out of oil before you made it home.

I'll never buy a new Chrysler vehicle ever again. They've lost me over a $100.00 part.

Good luck on the final outcome.

Last edited by Hssing Cobra; 12-29-2016 at 07:33 PM.
Old 12-30-2016, 09:00 AM

Changed the oil in August... we don't drive the car that much. It only has 24K miles on it after 3 years. We're just having the problem now in December. If the Valvoline shop broke the housing, wouldn't I have noticed something much sooner? Or is it possible it was just a slow leak that we never noticed?

Old 12-30-2016, 04:26 PM
Hssing Cobra

If the oil was changed four months ago - actually almost 5 months ago, then you cannot blame the oil changing place. You would have noticed it right away. It's either broke or it isn't. There's no slow leak when oil is under pressure, unless it's a gasket that's slowly seeping.

This is a line of chit that the dealer is using for EVERYONE so that they do not have to cover it. In my situation, I know without a doubt that I did not break it. I have extensive automotive skills including swapping motors, changing clutches, changing transmissions, installing exhaust systems, doing brake jobs, and many more things. DOING AN OIL CHANGE IS THE MOST BASIC JOB ON WORKING ON A CAR. If it broke, then it was due to cheap plastic! In my situation, it didn't start acting up until a more than a month after my oil change and over 4,000 miles, which leads me to believe that it was a stress crack that opened up or it was the oil cooler that was leaking on the housing but they blamed it on the oil change. Still, my complaints went unheard and I had to pay. From now on, I will work on my vehicle for the remainder of the warranty. What good is it if Chrysler won't stand by it?

Can they prove that it was broken by the oil changing place? NO!

I'm willing to bet that all of the oil that you lost was on the the driver's side of the engine and engine compartment - far away from the oil filter housing, which is on the passenger side.

Last edited by Hssing Cobra; 12-30-2016 at 04:31 PM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Serious oil leak issue - 2014 3.6L/3.2L Pentastar