Neon SRT-4 Dodge Neon SRT-4 is the pocket rocket that took the import scene and turned it upside down.

Oil Catch Can: Its Purpose.

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2004, 01:16 PM
millenniumdna
All Star
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Oil Catch Can: Its Purpose.

np yeah i wanted to know the tech side of it. Thanks for trying though everyones input is important to me.

Old 09-27-2004, 06:10 PM
dustyloins
R.I.P. Dusty (Retired Moderator
Hall of Fame Member

Someone on the other SRT forum DID just run a tube to about 4-6 inches above the ground....

Old 09-28-2004, 02:48 AM
Barneydriver
Captain

ah roach, you say that to all the girls...

*discalimer- the above statement was made facetiously and in jest and in no way constitutes a statement alluding to the fact that i am a girl and/or predisposed toward the homosexual lifestyle.

**disclaimer to the disclaimer- to quote a classic show- "not that there's anything wrong with that!"

ahhh, i'm in a goofy mood...

Old 09-28-2004, 03:21 AM
dustyloins
Hall of Fame Member

...don't ask, don't tell....

Just messin' with ya ......

Keep 'em flying!!!

Old 09-28-2004, 03:33 AM
Barneydriver
Captain

[sm=icon_rofl.gif]

Old 09-28-2004, 03:37 AM
dustyloins
Hall of Fame Member

Seriously, stay out of harm's way....when you have to go back to the "hot LZ's"

Old 09-28-2004, 04:08 AM
Barneydriver
Captain

thanks.
yeah, the friggin iraqi's (actually that's not fair- it's not the iraqi's, it's all the other jackasses who cross the border from other countries) are making things difficult. haven't had anyone hit for 6 mos. or so, though, so that's good. can't complain anyway- i love my job.
you guys do the same- you do a tough job here yourself- i don't think you guys hear it enough. keeping the domestic peace isn't any easier (though i'll say you do it a damn sight better than the iraqi security forces are doing right now...).

Old 09-29-2004, 11:50 AM
71RoadRunner
Legend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: Barneydriver

the pcv is on top of the valve cover and releases oil that blows past the internals under high boost situations. all it does is release the oil to get it out of the engine. you could just run a tube down to the bottom of the motor and it would drain to the ground, but of course the epa doesn't like that, so they require a return hose which sends the oil back to the intake manifold where it is burned. this theoretically will reduce power since the oil takes the place of air that could be used for combustion. however, it primarily just gunks stuff up. therefore you put on an occ to separate the oil b4 it gets into the intake to prevent this problem.
like i said, if you wanted to, you could just run a tube to the bottom and drain it to the ground- dcx obviously can't design it that way due to legal reasons, and most of us either don't want to pollute or don't want oil all over the garage floor or bottom of the car.
I really hate to do this, but your info is in need of a little modification to truely be accurate. The PCV (Positive Crankcase Ventilation) is there to remove only built up crankcase gases caused by the combustion process and blowby, the PCV valve has a check ball in it that is supose to prevent oil from getting through and allowing only the gases to escape. However, turbocharged engines have a tendency to create too much crankcase pressure causing it to also blow out oil past the PCV valve regardless. The oil catch can simply has a bowl that is lower than the actual flow of gases causing the oil to collect in the bowl as the gases pass freely out the higher flow path. This will be effective until the bowl fills with oil or collects enough that under certain driving conditions could allow it to slosh up an escape through the exiting hose.

As has been mentioned, the OCC's will keep the oil out of the intake system. The PCV OCC keeps it out of the intake manifold and combustion chamber which can also cause plug fouling. It can and will also leak down into the throttle body and into the intercooler. The other OCC, which is only needed if you have a CAI or a short ram, will prevent oil from getting into the entire intake system including the intake tube, turbo and intercooler and related hoses and sensors. Having the oil in the intake system, especially the intercooler, will cause an increase in intake temperatures which will reduce power and efficency.

this theoretically will reduce power since the oil takes the place of air that could be used for combustion.
Actually this is the opposite of what will happen. Since oil is a liquid and liquids cannot be compressed it will actually raise the compression creating more power. This is why water getting sucked up into an engine is so destructive, since a liquid cannot be compressed it will, if enough gets into the cylinder, cause it to act like a solid and on the compression stroke it will bend the connecting rods into pretzels. However the amount of oil that we are talking about would not be enough to have any effect on this at all and will only cause plug fouling and oil being burned creating blue smoke out the tail pipes as well as premature O2 and catalytic converter failure not to mention gumming up the exhaust side of the turbo.

As you can see, you will definately want at least one OCC for the PCV which does have more blow by. If you have or get a CAI you can either use a second OCC as I have done or you can simply plumb it into the same one your using for the PCV, I used two seperate ones to see how much oil gets past each place. Good luck and I hope this has been the explanation that you were looking for.

Old 09-29-2004, 12:16 PM
dustyloins
Hall of Fame Member

I may be going crazy, but it SEEMS like my OCC is filling up faster with the Amsoil than it did with Mobil-1....or maybe I'm just driving it harder, I dunno...

Old 09-29-2004, 12:20 PM
71RoadRunner
Legend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It could also be from your Stage 1 and it's quicker and higher boost. With your boost coming on faster than before it would seem logical that it might be the cause.

Quick Reply: Oil Catch Can: Its Purpose.