Neon SRT-4 Dodge Neon SRT-4 is the pocket rocket that took the import scene and turned it upside down.

question about an air box?

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2007 | 01:33 AM
nymi105
Default question about an air box?

just bought '05 srt. and i want to know do 05 srts come factory w. a air box(cooler) to keep the air in constnt ciculation to prevent boost lag. someone said my bov was bolted the wrong way so all the air was shooting back into the turbo, basically killing my turbocharger. so i wantd to ask the dealer who sold me the car about it and they showed me a airbox or air cooler. supposedly this iswhere the excess air goes so it can be re circulated and keep the fuel:air ratio even to reduce lag from the turbo..so basically im confusedso if anyone knows if this airboxcomes factory or maybe even aftermarket let me kmow thanks.

also canthis be taken out easily and if i should

thanks again

Old 08-14-2007 | 07:43 AM
prpaster
Professional
Default RE: question about an air box?

What does this air box look like? Is it a big Black Box that is on the Front drivers side ofthe engine compartment? More than Likly it is Stock

Old 08-14-2007 | 11:16 PM
nymi105

can this be taken out w out a problem and will taking it out increase the boost lag??????

Old 08-14-2007 | 11:48 PM
Kapitald
Captain

ive seen this on a dodge daytona turbo.......no taking it out isnt a problem or leaving it isnt a problem....the do leave it inside the box to recirculate the air like he said......when you pull it out of the box it becomes loud however and is what people refer to as a blow off valve ..BOV...you have a internal BOV right now so it isnt loud...

Old 08-15-2007 | 12:41 AM
PSI Chick
Champion

what the hell are you people talking about? lol

take what out ofwhat box??????? there's nothing that you can "take out of a box" and suddenly have a externally venting blow off valve (which i'm guessing is what you're referring to as opposed to a recirculating one).

Old 08-15-2007 | 01:34 AM
nymi105

i dont think u need to take anything out of the air box the bov is meant to blpw the air inside the air box so it is able to recirculate there is no blow off valve in the box. i think it needs to be replaced though with a external bov that will blow off into the atmosphere.

fyi psi chick..this air box is in most new evos and newer srts but u seem to know about this car since yours is worked up like it is

Old 08-15-2007 | 05:33 AM
talisman
Veteran

Thank You PSI Chick, damn, I was wondering the same thing. What new SRT's ? not SRT-4s I guess.

Old 08-15-2007 | 10:21 AM
PSI Chick
Champion

the airbox in a srt is exactly that, and air box. it's the same thing in a evo. there is nothing in the airbox that does anything to recirculate air. what i think you're talking about is the surge valve. the surge valve is mounted on the front of the turbo. in stock form, it's job is to recirculate air back into the system. this is done for emissions purposes more than anything, and isn't really meant to increase spool time. there is no difference between spool on a stock surge valve or a block off plate with an external bov.

the only things that i canthink ofas going back into the stock intake are two emissions lines. there's a vent from the valve cover into the intake, and then there's the stock boost leak black line that goes into the bottom of the intake. howeverneither of these though are required for anything to function (in fact most people block off the black line and put a breather on the valve cover)

Quick Reply: question about an air box?