Neon SRT-4 Dodge Neon SRT-4 is the pocket rocket that took the import scene and turned it upside down.

Battery in Trunk

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2008, 06:59 PM
taekwon11
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Battery in Trunk

Does anyone know how to relocate the battery to the trunk? Things like how to route the cable, what guage cable to run, where to ground, how to ground the engine? Thanks for your help.

Old 05-12-2008, 01:59 PM
flamingpinhead
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Default RE: Battery in Trunk

just my stab at it here:
you would probably want to run no less than 4ga wire. youll want to route the cable as isolated as possible. if you have an audio system you most definatley dont want to run it in the same area as your audio wiring. your ground is your chassis, everything grounds to the chassis, so the 2nd battery will as well. the only thing youll have to be careful of is running the power cable back so that it is isolated and nowhere that it could be damaged or cause a short. i would run it inside a wireloom the whole way back. i know my 8ga wire i ran for my subs came through the firewall and ran along the driver's side under everything. the thicker power cable may be tougher to hide though. any thoughts from anyone who has put a battery in the trunk?

youll also want to put a fuse as close it as possible, that way if your cable does short its not frying everything

why are you relocating it to the trunk?

Old 05-12-2008, 04:27 PM
dustyloins
R.I.P. Dusty (Retired Moderator
Hall of Fame Member

Make damn sure you bolt that that battery down good. It can cause major problems in a head on or rear end collision.......

Dusty

Old 05-12-2008, 08:09 PM
taekwon11

Thanks for the info. The reason I am relocating it is to transfer the weight in the car. Most people on this forum seem to know a great deal about drag racing the cars, but it doesn't appear that many people road race them. I bought mine so I could stop road racing my Viper. The SRT-4 is a great road race vehicle for the money. I have put the S2 kit, Stage 3 coil overs and sway bars, strut tower bars, Stop Tech brakes and a few other minor mods. The BMW's, most Porches, and Mustangs hate to see me coming in their rear view mirrors on the track. Long explanation. Hope it helps.

John

Old 05-13-2008, 01:24 PM
Plan B
Captain

Hey John,

Looking at doing the same thing as well. Last time at the track I weighed the SRT4 and 63% of the weight was to the front with the midpoint at about the sideview mirrors. Just did an AC & Airbag delete on my buddies S3and corner balanced it. Should rip this Friday at PIR. As i said there are a few of us looking to do the battery relocation as well, I will let you know what info I find.

- B

Mine's the black one

Name:  turn12.jpg
Views: 466
Size:  118.3 KB

Old 05-13-2008, 01:39 PM
mopar222
Veteran

In my opion get a light weight battery for the track, and spend the money on a good set of tires. Get a dedicated set of track tires, hoosiers, yokoao48's, ect. This and better suspention will do wonders. In my opinion, stick with a good set of shocks and springs and sway bars, unless you are prepared to spend 3-4000 on a good set of coilovers. If you opt for cheap coilovers, they have bad valving and are very difficult to dial in. The acrs seem to have a decent set up. I would look for a used set of those, start full strong in front and half in back. But the track tires on light weight wheels make a huge difference, much more than moving 40lbs from the front to the back. Good luck.

Old 05-13-2008, 03:31 PM
Plan B
Captain

All true, just be weary of the 'lightweight' / small batteries. They suck at supplying cranking power and are easily killed. As for Coil Overs, I'm a fan of the inverted BC's. A little over $1k if you want the rear camber plates and very easily adjustable.

Old 05-14-2008, 09:42 AM
taekwon11

B
I have never seen two SRT 4s on a road course together. If you havea high res of that shot maybe you could email it to me taekwon@***.net. Summit Racing has a kit for $79 that seems to have everything you need to relocate the battery. In addition to the weight distribution, I like how it frees up space under the hood. My car is Stage 2, what is a Stage 3 like on a road course? That is a lot of power. I am thinking about putting Stage 3 on my car over the winter. What else have you guys done to your cars for the road courses?

John

Old 05-14-2008, 09:47 AM
PSI Chick
Champion

i have a number of friends that do road courses. watkins glen, limerock and pochinos (sp?) are the favorites around here. one of them has a s3 car, and he loves running limerock as he can hit 130 in the straight-away. they all do relitively well with thier cars. we autox sometimes too, i've never done a road course but i want to eventually. i'm just completly set up for drag racing so i don't know how well i'll do but whatever lol.

Old 05-14-2008, 09:50 AM
taekwon11

I have some Nitto NTO1 track tires coming next week. Memorial Day weekend will be my first event with track tires.I do have the stage 3 coilovers and heavy duty sway bars which made a huge difference. The battery relocate is as much to move the wieght as it is to free up space under the hood. Glad to see we have a couple of road racers here!
John

Quick Reply: Battery in Trunk