Neon SRT-4 Dodge Neon SRT-4 is the pocket rocket that took the import scene and turned it upside down.

Couple ?'s and Statements about the Mopar BOV

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2005 | 05:01 AM
LilSparkPlug
|
Champion
Default Couple ?'s and Statements about the Mopar BOV

I know a ton of you on here have it, and have had it for awhile. But seeing as I've never been in a car with it but once, I wanted to ask a few questions.

I've read that its normal to lose at least 2lbs of boost. Almost everyone does who installs it according to what I read. However I took it out right after installing it (for 5.5 hours *growls at third bolt*) and I'm boosting 15psi strong...stock. I haven't lost anything. Anyone else experience that? Or did you lose the 2lbs most do?

Secondly when I have the throttle barely down and let off, I won't hear anything. Normally I'll get the "horse laugh" from my stock surge valve due to the AEM intake being installed. But if I'm around 2500rpms....it'll blow off but so short and curtly. That normal?

It does blow off just about everytime I let off the gas at 15% throttle or more, which I know is normal and I kinda like it, but mines not as loud as others I've heard are. Including the one car that I was in that had it.

I think I should add what I did to install it, as that might have something to do with it. Permatex Hylomar HPF between the BOV and gasket, gasket and turbo housing, and BOV and stock surge valve. I may have overdone it, but its not leaking so I can't assume so. I really soaked it in the HPF. When I put the BOV with gasket on the turbo housing it stuck...and didn't fall

The gasket I used had a thickness of 1/16th. I had to make my own due to the fact that the person who gave it to me, ripped his. I am glad I made my own, but I'm thinking that the thickness is whats muffling it a bit. I did cut out the "C" shape in the center, and I also cut out the holes for the screws, which were 6mmx1.00pitchx25mm. Would've been easier if I couldve found some allen head screws instead of hexheads, but thats okay.

So do you think what I did to install it is muffling it a bit? Its installed exactly how its supposed to be. C shape towards the passenger side, hole towards the front of the vehicle. Vacuum line is in tact the rest of the car is in one piece. I guess I'm just wondering about the curtness at low rpms (under 2500), and the overall muffled sound. The way its made out is that its a very obnoxious piece...I'm not getting that.

If it would help I can film it, and host it so you guys can hear what I'm talking about.

Old 01-30-2005 | 05:39 AM
byebye
Veteran
Default RE: Couple ?'s and Statements about the Mopar BOV

Sounds normal to me although I may have lost the boost in 1st and 2nd( I peak at like 13lbs). The rest of the stuff is normal. I didn't use the sealing stuff so I don't know if that helps or hurts. From what I hear though it helps. Also it's not as loud to me in the car anyway but when I drive next to my car or in a tunnel it's very loud.

Old 01-30-2005 | 05:45 AM
BigMac
Professional

I don't have it, so I can only tell you what I've read -- which is that if it's installed properly there's no boost loss at all; and that the sound with Stage 0 is not as good as it is with S1.

Old 01-30-2005 | 07:12 AM
71RoadRunner
Legend

ORIGINAL: SexySRTChick
It does blow off just about everytime I let off the gas at 15% throttle or more, which I know is normal and I kinda like it, but mines not as loud as others I've heard are. Including the one car that I was in that had it.

I think I should add what I did to install it, as that might have something to do with it. Permatex Hylomar HPF between the BOV and gasket, gasket and turbo housing, and BOV and stock surge valve. I may have overdone it, but its not leaking so I can't assume so. I really soaked it in the HPF. When I put the BOV with gasket on the turbo housing it stuck...and didn't fall
I have highlighted your problem here in red. This is all of your problems right here. You are not supose to put anything on or between the BOV and the surge valve. Clean the Permatex off of the surge valve and that side of the BOV. ONLY apply the Permatex to both sides of the gasket, do not put it on anything else. Use just enough to put a very thin film over both sides of the gasket. You muffled sound and hesitant BOV reaction is due to the Permatex being on the surge valve not allowing it to release the pressure fully and properly, it's gumming it up.

The BOV will only release a short quick burst that isn't very loud in first gear, but in every other gear it all depends on how hard your running it, it will blow off quite loud and for a much longer duration. The very light throttle flutter sound is also normal. I had no boost loss when I put my BOV in, and trust me, I checked it out very well after I put it in.

Old 01-30-2005 | 03:27 PM
LilSparkPlug
|
Champion

If I don't take the Permatex off the Surge valve is that going to cause me any problems?? I didn't know I wasn't supposed to put it there . Its gonna be a BITCH taking the whole car apart to get to it again. I'm also afraid that if I take it apart, that I might deteriorate the surge valve like you said in your PM, by using some type of detergent.

Eek....I don't know if I should just leave it and deal with the muffled sound at low rpms, or if I should go ahead and take the whole car apart and fix it all over again.

Old 01-31-2005 | 02:09 AM
71RoadRunner
Legend

Sorry, but it has to be removed. If it stays on there it will eventually become gummed up causing it to get stuck shut and not open anymore. You should be able to wipe the majority of it off of the surge valve and the BOV and you can use whatever you like pretty much to get it off of the BOV. Do a final cleaning of the entire BOV and surge valve with regular soap and water, it will remove the Permatex from it and it will not harm the rubber, just make sure that it isn't still sticky after you dry it off, if it is you will need to go over it again with soap and water. When reinstalling it remember to put the Permatex only on the gasket, both sides with a thin film covering the entire surface. Then just make sure everything is aligned and facing the proper direction and you'll be good to go.

Old 02-17-2005 | 11:52 PM
04srt4lvr

i have the mopar bov andit it loud as hell, and it got louder after the new agp wastegate was installed. stock i was boosting at 14, now i am boosting at a strong 17-18 peaking at 19
the new wastegate will make you smile again just like you did after the mopar bov was installed.

Old 02-18-2005 | 08:39 PM
mopar222
Veteran

I would use a new gasket if you take it apart, you will never get a good seal once a gasket has been used, spend the few dollars and do it right. I never put any thing on mine, and it sealed perfectly. One tip that might work, to get to the third bolt(this just sounds wierd) go around from behind the turbo, it will look like your giving the turbo a hug, but you should be able to get a full size wrench back there and get plenty of torque on the bolt, worked well for me, and no leaky BOV. Remember the instructions don't mention any sealants, the proper way is without sealants, it will leak if you don't tighten the bolts enough.

Old 02-19-2005 | 11:13 AM
glhs837

Please don't tkae this the wrong way sexy, but this is why I recommend the Forge, none of this gasket/sealant stuff is needed. Tighten bolts, attach vac line drive.

And before I get jumped, I have done a Mopar valve, did it once, it still works fine, so I can do it,m I just prefer easy.

Old 02-19-2005 | 01:22 PM
coyoteyz13
Veteran

Sexy,
Get a racheting wrench for the pain in the *** bolt. It will make your life a lot easier. Remember that it is always easier to install something the 2nd time. You now have practice.

Quick Reply: Couple ?'s and Statements about the Mopar BOV