Neon SRT-4 Dodge Neon SRT-4 is the pocket rocket that took the import scene and turned it upside down.

Have you had any problems with your car

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2005 | 12:49 AM
2fAsT4uAT
Default Have you had any problems with your car

Hey wuts up people i am new to this forum and i have a few questions about the SRT-4. When i first saw this car i thought wow! It is with no dought a extremely fast car for the price that your paying.

But what I want to know is how reliable this car really is and do you think it can handle the pressure of being used to race as well as using it as a daily driver car?

Have you had any serious problems with the car?

Do you think it would still run well when it has over 100k on it?

Thanks

Old 02-25-2005 | 01:30 AM
glhs837
Default RE: Have you had any problems with your car

Let you know when I get there. Status right now.......

Bought in Feb 03. Current mileage = 46K.
Stage 1 with Mopar exhaust from 12-30K (10-12 dragstrip runs) *about 240whp
Stage 2 with toys from 30K to 45K (10-12 more) *about 260whp
Stage 3 from 45K to now (no strp runs, and there wont be til I get a new clutch)

Stock clutch is showing weakness, which it has earned. Otherwise, I drive.

Oh, did a highway run recently. 27 mpg, And I'm seeing 18-19 city

I know a man who ran his personal car in One Lap of America last year. Even smacking a deer at 60+, he finished top in his class, and is running the same car again this year.

Old 02-25-2005 | 01:37 AM
2fAsT4uAT

Thanks for the reply glhs837 bit i still have a few more questions.

What is the waranty on the srt-4 and is there an extended waranty if so how much?
Do your mods void your waranty?
You said that you race on the strip but dont you drive it a little bit harder then you would if it was stock or if you had a auto car?
Have you had any problems with it so far?

Thanks man

Old 02-25-2005 | 02:32 AM
glhs837

Problems so far have been

TPS sensor issue resolved back at 12K, good since
Spark plugs and wires changed at 30K under existing TSB

Hard? If I dont get at least one WOT runup during a drive, that's surprising. Thats how hard I drive it. I corner it hard, and use the trhottle liberally

Warranty, mine came with 7/70 powertrain, legally, no mods can void a warranty, in reality you could end up just caving for repairs rather than fight the DCX corporate monster for repairs. See sema.com or sema.org, not sure of the address. As far as what one comes with now, I keep getting conflicting reports

Old 02-25-2005 | 02:43 AM
2fAsT4uAT

Thanks man does anyone else have some serious mileage on the car like 75,000 plus, becasue if i get it i am going to be keeping it for around 4-5 years.

If so what do you have done and if you have had problems what kind?

Old 02-25-2005 | 03:17 AM
PSI Chick
Champion

i don't have that many miles on my 03, i'm coming close to 17k now (i have another car i drive durring the week). but i will tell you that when i do drive my car i don't drive like grandma. i've got probably 50 trips down the 1/4 to date, plus who knows how many pulls on the street. i have moded and tinkered with the car since the day i got it. my slave cylinder went at 2500 miles, that's been my only real problem. other than that, i destroyed my lower motor mount, but that was from me beating the hell out of the car, had nothing to do with the build. that's it.

there are plenty of people out there with 30k plus on the car right now, and they are holding up strong. it's too early to say what's going to happen at 100k, no one is there yet! but i don't see this car having any major problems, they're built like trucks. litterally since the tranny is from a truck! the motor can take 500hp on stock internals. i don't forsee a problem. i too plan on keeping my car for at least 5 years, and i am not worried about it breaking on me.

Old 02-25-2005 | 03:43 AM
2fAsT4uAT

Thanks for the post psi chick
Like you i am goint to be driving the car fairly hard on a regular bases. Most people who say there not going to drive there car hard are lying it's not like people buy an srt-4 for luxury they buy it for speed and peformance and i cant speak for everyone but for me i will drive it even harder once i start getting into the mods thats was why it is so important for me to see if mods like BOV,Exaust,S1,S2 or suspension void the waranty and if the car can hande that kind of pressure on a regular bases.

Old 02-26-2005 | 10:00 AM
71RoadRunner
Legend

Sorry, I have only just passed the 6,000 mile mark on mine. No problems yet. The only problems I've heard of really are the #3 plug wire getting fried by the turbo heat which is easily solved with MSD plug wires and the TPS becoming unplugged under hard acceleration due to the harness wiring being too short, that's about it.

Old 03-02-2005 | 02:39 AM
2fAsT4uAT

Thanks man I am pretty confident that the SRT-4 will hold well up to 100k even if it is driven fairly hard on a regular bases and tweaked with a bit thanks for all of the help

Old 03-04-2005 | 12:45 PM
200srt4
Veteran

i just reached the 13,000 mark and have yet to encounter any problems yet (knock on wood!)

Quick Reply: Have you had any problems with your car