Neon SRT-4 Dodge Neon SRT-4 is the pocket rocket that took the import scene and turned it upside down.

SHORT RAM INTAKE VS. REG. INTAKE

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2005, 02:21 PM
posthondaremoval
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: SHORT RAM INTAKE VS. REG. INTAKE

ORIGINAL: PSI Chick

ORIGINAL: posthondaremoval

I have the AEM Short Ram and Love it - If you are worried about dragracing it's true, the cold air is going to have a cooler initial charge, but once running there is a ton of airflow in the cavity, and there is no heat issue. The throttle response is better and - I admit it - I like the sound. You get the same power gains, if not, better at speed, I would imagine, since the airflow is less restricted, and virtually the same temp as cold air at speed.
actually that's not true. the vent in the hood is directional, so there is no air flow from there into the engine bay. the nose holes are used for the radiator to exchange air, and doesn't provide much air into the bay. when the car is up to operating temps, it's very hot in there, and a short ram is pulling in hot air from the engine and has no access to cold air at all. it's funny, even dcx mentions it in the infamous letter. our stock air box is a cai set up. the main reasons for upgrading to a aftermarket cai is two fold. one is that you can get a true 3" intake allowing more air into the system. secondly, it frees up a lot of room in the engine bay for other things, and to get access to parts down there.
I disagree. While the scoop is directional, the second set of large outlets goes right over the back of the engine near the turbo.
There is probably more air, however coming up from under the car(if you look at where the intake box used to be there is pretty much a clear path to the ground, now); as the intake is sucking air out of the engine bay(at a high volume and rate), and air that replaces it comes from outside of the bay. Once the car is moving, the bay really shouldn't be all that hot(look at the fact that in traffic, the temp goes up and the thermostat is constantly cycling to keep cool, whereas on the highway, when air is flowing, this is not a problem).

Old 03-17-2005, 02:49 PM
coyoteyz13
Veteran

That's because air is moving though the radiator when you are at speed.

Old 03-17-2005, 02:55 PM
posthondaremoval
Record Breaker

ORIGINAL: coyoteyz13

I don't think that is the only reason. Air comes in at many points, in the bay.

Old 03-17-2005, 03:19 PM
coyoteyz13
Veteran

Youre gauge is reading your water temp, so when you are stopped and there is not any air going through the radiator your water temp will go up, and your themostat will open causing the gauge to go back down. When at speed the air is cooling your radiator and and the water running through so the thermostat does not have to open, and your gauge stays in the same spot.

Old 03-17-2005, 04:36 PM
posthondaremoval
Record Breaker

Youre gauge is reading your water temp, so when you are stopped and there is not any air going through the radiator your water temp will go up, and your themostat will open causing the gauge to go back down. When at speed the air is cooling your radiator and and the water running through so the thermostat does not have to open, and your gauge stays in the same spot.
Good point. I wasn't thinking that through perfectly clearly. One bad example on me.

That being the case, if there is that much air moving through the radiator, I am sure there is a lot of air moving in the engine bay. Thus(supporting the estimation that there is plenty of cool air in the bay at speed) the short ram should have plenty of cool charge air once moving.

Thank you for the correction, coyoteyz13. Duh on me.

Old 03-17-2005, 05:26 PM
black4
Record Breaker

still seen bigger gains from cai though.

Old 03-17-2005, 06:13 PM
posthondaremoval
Record Breaker

ORIGINAL: black4

still seen bigger gains from cai though.
While dynos are a great tool for tuning/improving a car, I don't necessarily feel that they duplicate normal driving conditions. To simulate airflow at the level your car will be seeing it while in motion, you would need a windtunnel with a dyno inside. A fan blowing on the motor, no matter how strong, will not duplicate real world airflow conditions.
So the fact that on a dyno, a cai does better(even with a fan)doesn't signify anything other than the difference between the 2 standing still (at launch).

Just my .02.

Old 03-17-2005, 06:17 PM
black4
Record Breaker

fair enough.[sm=gobble.gif]

Old 03-17-2005, 07:02 PM
OrochiDio1
Professional

i have the ghetto short ram and my friend has a aem cai. we both got on the freeway and we are both the same speed. so i think he just wasted 200+ bucks. and we have the same mods and i beat him every time in the 1/4. i think the cai is a rip. sure it might help on a bigger turbo set up but ive never seen any 1000+hp cars like the skylines/supras/gto/ or anything run cai. they all run short ram setups. i think its sort of pointless beacuse most people upgrade there fmic anyways. after all isnt that what a fmic is for? and a few people over at the srt foums say the lost hp/tourqe with cai. if we had some N/A cars then im sure it would help but other than that id say save the money. but thats my opion and people love there cai.

Old 03-18-2005, 11:06 AM
fivetoez
Professional

ORIGINAL: PSI Chick

I have the AEM Short Ram and Love it - If you are worried about dragracing it's true, the cold air is going to have a cooler initial charge, but once running there is a ton of airflow in the cavity, and there is no heat issue. The throttle response is better and - I admit it - I like the sound. You get the same power gains, if not, better at speed, I would imagine, since the airflow is less restricted, and virtually the same temp as cold air at speed.
actually that's not true. the vent in the hood is directional, so there is no air flow from there into the engine bay. the nose holes are used for the radiator to exchange air, and doesn't provide much air into the bay. when the car is up to operating temps, it's very hot in there, and a short ram is pulling in hot air from the engine and has no access to cold air at all. it's funny, even dcx mentions it in the infamous letter. our stock air box is a cai set up. the main reasons for upgrading to a aftermarket cai is two fold. one is that you can get a true 3" intake allowing more air into the system. secondly, it frees up a lot of room in the engine bay for other things, and to get access to parts down there.
Psi Chic; Plz. Allow me to dis-spell your theory.......i have a dig. temp. probe installed inside my airfilter.....the inlet temp's. ONLY rise above ambient ,when the car is not in motion..........as soon as you begin rolling, the underhood temps drop to ambient(outside temp's.),i too have run an identically setup srt except HE had a Cai....we were dead even!_________5TOEZ_________another thing worth mentioning is this:whenever you compress air it heats up ALOT..........something to the tune of 165deg.......soo what good is cai, if your just compressing that cool air anyway's,..(hence the Intercooler)Team MOPAR runs a short ram on thier rally car also!

Quick Reply: SHORT RAM INTAKE VS. REG. INTAKE