Neon SRT-4 Dodge Neon SRT-4 is the pocket rocket that took the import scene and turned it upside down.

SHORT RAM INTAKE VS. REG. INTAKE

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2005, 06:52 PM
amustlet
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SHORT RAM INTAKE VS. REG. INTAKE

I HAD A QUESTION ABOUT INTAKES, IS IT BEST TO GET THE SHORT RAM INTAKE OR THE OTHER INTAKE. ALSO, WHICH BRAND WOULD BE BEST... THANX

Old 03-16-2005, 04:04 AM
PSI Chick
Champion
Default RE: SHORT RAM INTAKE VS. REG. INTAKE

don't bother with a short ram, defeats the purpose of getting an intake.

Old 03-16-2005, 05:35 AM
Black SRT
Rookie

If you're stock and don't care about bling, go with a drop in K&N. You really won't gain much from it.

Old 03-16-2005, 09:47 AM
fivetoez
Professional

i removed my airbox..........then clamped my K&N drop-in filter, to the STOCK tube that comes from the turbo,(aka: ghetto short ram)..............it made a difference.............. w/ stage 1 anyway................& it sounds MUCH better,.........Plus it did'nt cost me a dime. When i get some extra $$ im gonna buy the K&N intake......Oh , & btw, i run a 14.0 @ 102mph.....spinnin em in the first two gears...w/ a lousy 2.2 60ft. time...........soo i believe the cars runnin pretty good w/ said setup...............if i could only learn how to launch it better!________5TOEZ_________Funny thing is.......iv'e seen srt's run 12's on the STOCK airbox & filter.........soo take this post for what it's worth...

Old 03-16-2005, 12:42 PM
turbeaux kid
Professional

i got the AEM cold air intake and i love the way it looks and sounds. $250 well paid for

Old 03-16-2005, 02:07 PM
posthondaremoval
Record Breaker

I have the AEM Short Ram and Love it - If you are worried about dragracing it's true, the cold air is going to have a cooler initial charge, but once running there is a ton of airflow in the cavity, and there is no heat issue. The throttle response is better and - I admit it - I like the sound. You get the same power gains, if not, better at speed, I would imagine, since the airflow is less restricted, and virtually the same temp as cold air at speed.

Old 03-16-2005, 06:42 PM
black4
Record Breaker

cai is much better than the stock air box.

Old 03-17-2005, 08:57 AM
71RoadRunner
Legend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I love my K & N Typhoon CAI, it looks great, performs great and sounds great.

Old 03-17-2005, 10:59 AM
PSI Chick
Champion

ORIGINAL: posthondaremoval

I have the AEM Short Ram and Love it - If you are worried about dragracing it's true, the cold air is going to have a cooler initial charge, but once running there is a ton of airflow in the cavity, and there is no heat issue. The throttle response is better and - I admit it - I like the sound. You get the same power gains, if not, better at speed, I would imagine, since the airflow is less restricted, and virtually the same temp as cold air at speed.
actually that's not true. the vent in the hood is directional, so there is no air flow from there into the engine bay. the nose holes are used for the radiator to exchange air, and doesn't provide much air into the bay. when the car is up to operating temps, it's very hot in there, and a short ram is pulling in hot air from the engine and has no access to cold air at all. it's funny, even dcx mentions it in the infamous letter. our stock air box is a cai set up. the main reasons for upgrading to a aftermarket cai is two fold. one is that you can get a true 3" intake allowing more air into the system. secondly, it frees up a lot of room in the engine bay for other things, and to get access to parts down there.

Old 03-17-2005, 11:32 AM
coyoteyz13
Veteran

what about where the infamous letter says that and aftermarket intake will cause the turbo to overspool. Isn't that what the wastegate is for?

Quick Reply: SHORT RAM INTAKE VS. REG. INTAKE