Neon SRT-4 Dodge Neon SRT-4 is the pocket rocket that took the import scene and turned it upside down.

SHORT RAM INTAKE VS. REG. INTAKE

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2005, 12:54 PM
posthondaremoval
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: SHORT RAM INTAKE VS. REG. INTAKE

ORIGINAL: fivetoez

ORIGINAL: PSI Chick

ORIGINAL: posthondaremoval

I have the AEM Short Ram and Love it - If you are worried about dragracing it's true, the cold air is going to have a cooler initial charge, but once running there is a ton of airflow in the cavity, and there is no heat issue. The throttle response is better and - I admit it - I like the sound. You get the same power gains, if not, better at speed, I would imagine, since the airflow is less restricted, and virtually the same temp as cold air at speed.
actually that's not true. the vent in the hood is directional, so there is no air flow from there into the engine bay. the nose holes are used for the radiator to exchange air, and doesn't provide much air into the bay. when the car is up to operating temps, it's very hot in there, and a short ram is pulling in hot air from the engine and has no access to cold air at all. it's funny, even dcx mentions it in the infamous letter. our stock air box is a cai set up. the main reasons for upgrading to a aftermarket cai is two fold. one is that you can get a true 3" intake allowing more air into the system. secondly, it frees up a lot of room in the engine bay for other things, and to get access to parts down there.
Psi Chic; Plz. Allow me to dis-spell your theory.......i have a dig. temp. probe installed inside my airfilter.....the inlet temp's. ONLY rise above ambient ,when the car is not in motion..........as soon as you begin rolling, the underhood temps drop to ambient(outside temp's.),i too have run an identically setup srt except HE had a Cai....we were dead even!_________5TOEZ_________another thing worth mentioning is this:whenever you compress air it heats up ALOT..........something to the tune of 165deg.......soo what good is cai, if your just compressing that cool air anyway's,..(hence the Intercooler)Team MOPAR runs a short ram on thier rally car also!
Exactly[sm=icon_ladiesman.gif]. Plus - like I said earlier, you cannot duplicate the throttle response of a 3" shortram intake. Couple it with a tb and manifold, and you are working on a recipie for race car like response. Every M3 race car I have worked on has had a short ram (some with a inlet pipe directing air from under the car into the general area of the filter(but definitely not all)) and they have a much more closed engine bay than our car. In fact almost every race car (stock based) I have seen is running some sort of short ram setup. Some even run Velocity stacks (sa short ram as you get). So, while you feel an instant blip in power from a cold air at launch, I doubt all of those people with 100's of thousands of $ in research and development are running short setups for nothing.

Old 03-18-2005, 02:53 PM
byebye
Veteran

I have the AEM short ram and it sounds awesome. I was under the impression that it's the job of the intercooler to cool the air. I'm assuming that a larger intake than stock with a higher flowing filter is the benefit of an intake on a turbo car rather than having it draw cold air.

Old 03-18-2005, 04:35 PM
coyoteyz13
Veteran

If cooler air enters the turbo, cooler air will exit the turbo to the intercooler. If cooler air enters the intercooler, cooler air will come out of the intercooler.

Old 03-18-2005, 04:39 PM
posthondaremoval
Record Breaker

ORIGINAL: coyoteyz13

If cooler air enters the turbo, cooler air will exit the turbo to the intercooler. If cooler air enters the intercooler, cooler air will come out of the intercooler.
No doubt about that.

Old 03-18-2005, 07:12 PM
black4
Record Breaker

all i know is after installing yhe aem cai i noticed a pretty good difference in power.

Old 03-19-2005, 07:08 AM
byebye
Veteran

How cool is that air before it enters the FMIC though?

Old 03-19-2005, 01:59 PM
bellosiciliano18
Professional

i always thought a short ram would be better also...since the fmic is what really makes a difference in cooling the air....

Old 03-19-2005, 10:28 PM
black4
Record Breaker

its a combination factor air comes into intake around ambient temp goes into turbo temp increases dramaticly from shear compresion of the air goes into intercooler where it is cooled down from the ram air effect on the intercooler then goes into intake manifold at about 30 to 80 degrees over ambient tempeture.

Old 03-20-2005, 03:24 PM
TX SRT MAN
Rookie

cant we all just get along?

[IMG]local://upfiles/4313/814EAA129E0B4D648F286E041926133C.jpg[/IMG]

Old 03-21-2005, 11:17 AM
71RoadRunner
Legend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have no idea where some people get that the short ram intakes are more responsive that a full CAI, I had my K & N Typhoon CAI set up as a short ram at first because I didn't have enough time to install the lower CAI part and ran it that way for a week or so and there was no difference in responsiveness after I installed the lower part. The only difference I noticed was a slight increase in power and it was a little louder since it was now pulling in air from outside the engine compartment. I noticed no difference in turbo or throttle response when changing from short ram to CAI, but there was a noticeable difference in it when I changed from the stock air box to the short ram/CAI.

Quick Reply: SHORT RAM INTAKE VS. REG. INTAKE