Neon SRT-4 Dodge Neon SRT-4 is the pocket rocket that took the import scene and turned it upside down.

Cobalt SS & Motor Trend

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2005, 09:41 PM
srt4 driver
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Cobalt SS & Motor Trend

COBALT = GM right?
So when you buy one are you supposed to sign up for the monthly recalls or will they track you with lo-jack?
[8D]

Old 05-04-2005, 10:30 PM
200srt4
Veteran

i read somewhere that there was a design flaw with the Cobalt SS where the engine bay got way too over-heated and after one or two runs, the car really started to lose power and seconds on its 1/4 mile time. the same article said the same thing about the new GTO's, which is why the newer ones have the hood flares...did they change something in the SS design yet to fight this, or do all te SS they are selling now still have this problem?

in my opinion the spoiler looks kinda cool, but the wheels are DISCUSTING!

Old 05-05-2005, 12:38 AM
Frankie Newport

the other day i saw a billboard with the cobalt ss on it and it said the ss was "the best small car that chevy has ever made". i found that funny cuz the best small car they had before the cobalt was the cavalier and that was a piece of crap so they really arent sayin much for the cobalt.

and is it just me or does the front end of the cobalt look alot like a honda civic? theres already about a billion honda civics around, the last thing we need is another car that looks like them.

Old 05-05-2005, 06:36 AM
roachnigga
Record Breaker

LOL

Old 05-05-2005, 09:45 AM
71RoadRunner
Legend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yeah, I've brought up this article before and it is from MT. They have both the '05 SS and '05 SRT-4 at 14.4 in the 1/4 mile. They do also state how this SRT-4 was very green with only 1,450 miles on it and that it was by far the slowest SRT-4 they have ever tested, it was a full half second behind the previous SRT-4's in all tests (0-60 MPH, 1/4 mile). This SS was also faster than their previously tested SS's which ran the 1/4 mile in 14.5 sec. This seems to be another purposely biased test by MT, a faster SS than before against the slowest SRT-4 they've ever had. It could just be a coincidence, but....[sm=proof.gif]

Like most car magazines MT has always been or seemed to be very biased, favoring foreign cars over US cars, mainly Japanese followed by European, and in the domestic makes they've always favored GM followed by Ford with Chrysler being their least favorite of all. For more proof of this bias just check out their performance comparison between the Viper and the Vette, it's supose to be a performance comparison and the Viper beats the **** out of the Vette in every performance test made yet they always pick the Vette as their pick for the best because it has a softer ride and has traction control. WTF!!! It's a performance test and the Viper has the best performance in every area, but somehow they justify the Vette winning based on non-performance issues.[sm=dontgetit.gif]

Old 05-05-2005, 11:44 AM
RIPSIGUY
Captain

Roadrunner...I agree with you 100%. I canceled my Car and Driver Mag subscription long ago because I was sick of reading the phrase " Not as (whatever) as say a Honda". If I read that ONE more time I was going to puke. Also, these car mag's have no business testing trucks.....just my opinion.

By the way, pick up the latest issue of "Speed" magazine. Great article on high performance luxury cars. Natrually, the 300 SRT8 kicked butt! It's a great magazine. No bias to Jap or even Americian cars. Just good old automotive journalism.

Old 05-05-2005, 12:52 PM
SRT4STYLIN
Professional

Yeah, I have read this article several times, a guy I know showed it to me...
Check this out...
The article says that the 0-100 time is 13.8(sounds about right...)
It also says that the 1/4 time is 14.4 @ 100.8 mph...
If you look at the 2 figures, they dont match, it took the driver .6 sec's to go .8 mph more.
I looked at the article and it is ridiculous.
I have raced a Cobalt SS, and laughed the whole way.
It sounds to me like Motor Trend is funded or supported in some way by GM.

Tell me what you guys think?
Thanks
Andrew

Old 05-05-2005, 01:02 PM
black4
Record Breaker

i read that colbalt vs srt article and about spilled my drink lets see 200 at fly wheel vs 230 at wheels no chance those guys are so full of it there turning brown.[sm=boosign.gif][sm=badbadbad.gif][sm=badidea.gif][sm=bangbang.gif][sm=bustedsign.gif][sm=bs.gif][sm=exactly.gif][sm=feedback.gif]

Old 05-05-2005, 01:55 PM
roachnigga
Record Breaker

I have to read this article.[&:]

Old 05-05-2005, 03:20 PM
RIPSIGUY
Captain

Like PSIchick said, I'm sure the aftermarket is jumping all over this car (Cobalt) already. So beware.

Quick Reply: Cobalt SS & Motor Trend