Neon SRT-4 Dodge Neon SRT-4 is the pocket rocket that took the import scene and turned it upside down.

Removing Exaust Rear Section?

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2005, 12:34 AM
Bob96
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Removing Exaust Rear Section?

I am going Stealth and removed my wing and plugged the holes. I would also like to reduce the noise level of my SRT-4 with Maxfabb 3" DP w/cat and Borla System. I am guessing that my exhaust sound would be reduced by removing the rear section containing the 4" echo can tips? Has anyone removed this rear section. This would allow the exhaust to exit via the 2 1/2" downward facing rear pipe that passes over the axle. I could also had a resonator 10" tip to this pipe which would not stick down that far and be fairly invisable since it is inward from the bumber. I am guessing that the decel backfiring sounds are greatly magnified by the 4" Borla tips?

Old 08-05-2005, 02:43 AM
coyoteyz13
Veteran
Default RE: Removing Exaust Rear Section?

I am doing that, but I bought a magnaflow muffler with a 4" tip. Not sure what I am going to do with the bumber yet. I put on a needswings downpipe with a cutout for when I want to be loud(My god is it loud, and on top of that flames come out of the bottom of the car).

[IMG]local://upfiles/8817/2391CD60A1DB400D9D20584420A6A446.jpg[/IMG]

Old 08-05-2005, 03:49 AM
LilSparkPlug
Champion

The reason you get those sounds is the lack of a muffler. Taking those pipes out wouldn't really make that much of a difference. In essence your attempting to create a dump exhaust, which is just as loud if not louder than what you currently have now. If you really want to quiet it down, a muffler or two if your running a dual setup is your best bet. However be careful in your choice, alot of them tend to sound pretty ricey. Im not going to recommend any as I haven't heard one in person, but Im sure theres a few people on here who can help you out with which one would be best for it.

Old 08-05-2005, 03:55 AM
PSI Chick
Champion

yup, listen to chickie. removing that rear half makes the car loud as hell. it's known as the welfare exhaust. it's basically like running an open header.

add a muffler or glass pack to the set up, that will help quiet it down.

Old 08-05-2005, 04:52 AM
Bob96
Rookie

I believe what you guys are saying but just wonder why the 2 1/2" pipe after the rear axle would ne louder that the two 2 1/4" pipes running into 4" dia. echo cans? Usually the larger dia. exhaust tips magnify all sounds?

Old 08-05-2005, 08:11 AM
roachnigga
Record Breaker

Back pressure is lost

Old 08-05-2005, 02:13 PM
HEMI TT
All Star

ORIGINAL: Bob96

I believe what you guys are saying but just wonder why the 2 1/2" pipe after the rear axle would ne louder that the two 2 1/4" pipes running into 4" dia. echo cans? Usually the larger dia. exhaust tips magnify all sounds?
one of the reasons is that it's still under the car, there for creating even more of a echo, it bounces of the street, back up to the bottom of the car back down to the street and so on .......... By having it exit out of somewhere it's not as loud.
by having the 2 pipes it will lose a lot of back pressure, it would be like running your outside fausit with a fireman's hose instead of the garden hose, the water would just trickle out. (well not exactly like that but you get the point)

Old 08-06-2005, 02:03 AM
coyoteyz13
Veteran

My car is soooooo quit with the cutout closed now that I have had my muffler put on. I am hearing rattles in the interior that I never heard before. It will be nice cruising the highway now.

Old 08-06-2005, 05:21 PM
Pressurecooker
Record Breaker

How does your muffler exit right now?

Old 08-06-2005, 06:20 PM
coyoteyz13
Veteran

Out the left side exhaust cutout.

Quick Reply: Removing Exaust Rear Section?