Neon SRT-4 Dodge Neon SRT-4 is the pocket rocket that took the import scene and turned it upside down.

Mopar Performance BOV

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2005, 02:34 PM
moparman95
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mopar Performance BOV

My friend just recently purchased an 05 dodge neon srt4. He wanted to get some info on the mopar blow off valve. I wasn't real sure what to tell him so I figured I'd post one. Are there any visual gains in horsepower or boost control when installing a bov. I thought that all it did was take the extra boost and blow it through the valve instead of dumping it back into the exhaust manifold. He wants to go with a mopar one and hes having the dealership install it so it dosen't void his warrenty. Any help would be appreciated.
thanks
-Dave

Old 08-16-2005, 04:02 PM
posthondaremoval
Record Breaker
Default RE: Mopar Performance BOV

ORIGINAL: moparman95

My friend just recently purchased an 05 dodge neon srt4. He wanted to get some info on the mopar blow off valve. I wasn't real sure what to tell him so I figured I'd post one. Are there any visual gains in horsepower or boost control when installing a bov. I thought that all it did was take the extra boost and blow it through the valve instead of dumping it back into the exhaust manifold. He wants to go with a mopar one and hes having the dealership install it so it dosen't void his warrenty. Any help would be appreciated.
thanks
-Dave
It reroutes gasses from the stock surge valve back into the atmosphere, I believe. Definitely not necessary, but I have one and I love it.

Someone chime in if I am misspeaking.

You don't have to have a dealer install it - it has nothing to do with your warranty. It is pretty easy, too - if you like to work on cars.

Old 08-16-2005, 06:20 PM
PSI Chick
Champion

ahhh!!!! the mopar rice plate!!!!! lol

Old 08-16-2005, 06:24 PM
posthondaremoval
Record Breaker

Oh yeah - another side effect of the mopar bop is that people will sometimes call you a ricer.

But you're okay in my book.

Getting him prepped for the rice treatment, huh PSI?

BTW - If you install it yourself, make sure you hit proper torque spec.'s and align the gasket properly - it's important. Otherwise, it is a leak waiting to happen.

Old 08-16-2005, 06:34 PM
PSI Chick
Champion

no actually i was referring to the mopar blue plate itself as it has no other real purpose than to make a cool swooshing noise and cause you to leak boost.

Old 08-16-2005, 06:39 PM
posthondaremoval
Record Breaker

ORIGINAL: PSI Chick

no actually i was referring to the mopar blue plate itself as it has no other real purpose than to make a cool swooshing noise and cause you to leak boost.
Now I know you have a much greater automotive knowledge base than I , and I am not one to argue, but in this case, I must. How can the plate be leaking if I have no problem holding 17-18 to redline and I spike to 19. The point about the swooshing noise - fine (although I like it), but not everyone has leak problems from the plate. I have even pressure tested the car to 20 psi, and never heard a hiss from that region.

If it was a leak, how do they use it on the s3r lightweight and have no problems? They are pushing a bit higher PSI than I am , I would imagine.

Old 08-16-2005, 06:44 PM
PSI Chick
Champion

i've seen it leak on plenty of cars. on most it will, some it won't. personally i'm not going to take the risk. i had the plate, and i took it off. we then put it on a friend's car and we leak tested both cars. we both held 20psi with no problems, but when the air hose was taken off his boost dropped like a rock while mine stayed with a slow, steady decline. i am glad i removed it, and i'll never put it back on after seeing the difference in a pressurized system. i could hold boost, he couldn't, that's all i needed to see.

Old 08-16-2005, 06:50 PM
posthondaremoval
Record Breaker

Guess I am lucky.

No dressing, no hylomar...no leaks. Just good ol' proper torque levels.

I still think that the leaks are more caused by people overtightening the bolts and causing the endplate to bow.

But point well taken.

I might just pull it sometime, to see if the car is even faster. This is one case where I would be happy to be wrong, since I am happy with the boost my car puts out as is. More would be insane.

Old 08-17-2005, 12:38 AM
moparman95
Rookie

So as long as you torque the bolts down properly and do the install corectly I shouldnt have to worry about any leaks?

Old 08-17-2005, 02:51 AM
posthondaremoval
Record Breaker

ORIGINAL: moparman95

So as long as you torque the bolts down properly and do the install corectly I shouldnt have to worry about any leaks?

I won't make any guarantee's, since a number of people have had trouble, but mine and a few others I know worked out just fine.

One note - when you see that people have trouble on the third bolt, listen. Get a ratcheting box end and a piece of string when you do that puppy. Be firm but gentle if you can't get a torque wrench on the third bolt, and err to the side of gentle if you are worried(you can always tighten more, but once overtightened you can't go back).

Good luck whichever way you go.

Quick Reply: Mopar Performance BOV