Neon SRT-4 Dodge Neon SRT-4 is the pocket rocket that took the import scene and turned it upside down.

mopar BOV install, oil leak!!! help!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2005, 09:00 PM
srtpwnsu
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default mopar BOV install, oil leak!!! help!!!!

installed the mopar BOV conversion today and in order to get to the back screw i removed the oil feed line going to the turbo. ( that big nut on top of turbo with 2 holes in it). when i took it off i marked with a permanant marker where the holes were so it would line back up right when i put it back on. wrong the holes aren't lining up to the lines with the bolt all the way tight. i tried loosening in a bit and when i did that and started the car oil was leaking out from around the bolt. so i tightend it up again thinking maybe it won't hurt if it is a little off. wee i went for a drive around the block to check out the BOV, make sure it was working. got back home saw a huge *** puddle of oil on the ground where i was parked and my turbo was SMOKING! if someone has knowledge about this area please get back to me asap i'm scared to drive my car now casue i odn't wanna burn up the turbo.

lando

Old 09-21-2005, 09:17 PM
srtpwnsu
Default RE: mopar BOV install, oil leak!!! help!!!!

ok i might have figured it out. the bottom washer was not lined up correctly. got it all on there right but the bolt is still not lining up perfect with the oil lines. is it ok for the hole to be a little off??

lando

Old 09-22-2005, 02:12 AM
LilSparkPlug
Champion

Okay here goes....

The two "washers" on that main oil feed line are compression fittings/banjo washers. Once removed they will never do their job properly again. Therefore you need to buy two new compression fittings from the dealership, around 3.50 if not less and install them again. One on top of the oil feed line and one below the oil feed line. The oil leak wont be severe until that point, and try to stay out of boost until you can get those fittings.

Drive the car as easy as you possibly can. Some dealerships, if your in good with yours will take the fittings off a new SRT and just swap them with you if your paying for the new ones. However because its damage that you caused, any warranty repair on that piece is now voided, youll have to do it yourself.

So its not so much that the holes wont line up right, you ruined the compression fittings. That line doesnt need to be removed in order to get the BOV in. But get some compression fittings ASAP and everything should be okay.

Hope that helps.

Old 09-22-2005, 02:32 AM
posthondaremoval
Record Breaker

ORIGINAL: LilSparkPlug

Okay here goes....

The two "washers" on that main oil feed line are compression fittings/banjo washers. Once removed they will never do their job properly again. Therefore you need to buy two new compression fittings from the dealership, around 3.50 if not less and install them again. One on top of the oil feed line and one below the oil feed line. The oil leak wont be severe until that point, and try to stay out of boost until you can get those fittings.

Drive the car as easy as you possibly can. Some dealerships, if your in good with yours will take the fittings off a new SRT and just swap them with you if your paying for the new ones. However because its damage that you caused, any warranty repair on that piece is now voided, youll have to do it yourself.

So its not so much that the holes wont line up right, you ruined the compression fittings. That line doesnt need to be removed in order to get the BOV in. But get some compression fittings ASAP and everything should be okay.

Hope that helps.
Yup^^^. Well stated.

Old 09-23-2005, 02:35 AM
Pressurecooker
Record Breaker

To answer one part of the question; No, the hole does not have to line up with the direction of the line though that would be ideal. If you look inside the banjo fitting, you'll see a "groove" around the entire circumference which will let the fluid flow no matter which way the hole is facing.

Now this may turn out to be unpopular advice but, in some cases, when a new COPPER gasket (read washer) is unavailable, they can be reused if not too scarred up. What you need to do is "anneal" it. This will restore the crushability by softening it. All this entails is; to heat the COPPER to the point of almost glowing with a torch and dropping it into cool water immediately. Once is good.

You should have no problem getting new gaskets and they should be cheap. That is what your first impulse should be anyway. Cheap insurance don't ya know.

Well that's my farm mechanics 101 lesson for today. Free of charge. ;-)

Old 09-23-2005, 11:39 AM
srt4 driver
Veteran

I thought if you got a 10mm ratcheting wrench you wouldnt have to remove any oil lines?!
The M-BOV installation instructions on this forum warn of this oil line and the infamous 3rd bolt.
Good luck with your plumbing - everyone is giving sound advise.

Old 09-23-2005, 11:52 PM
srtpwnsu

cool i appreciate all the advice guys. i couln't get to the dealership but my old copper washers looked fine to me. they didn't have any scarring and felt smooth. so i reused em. that fixed it. now the oil doesn't leak anymore and the banjo bolt is on good and tight. now the only other question i have is i know some oil leaked odwn prob onto my exhaust and whatever else is under there. the result ( if that is what happened ) is after i drive for a minute i can smell a burning smell and a slight , slight amount of smoke coming out from around where the turbo and all that is. so i guess what i wanna know is do you guys think that is what is casueing the smel and little bit of smoke?

sorry i'm such a noob! i traded in my dakota rt for this car and i don't know much about turbochargers yet !

Old 09-24-2005, 01:53 AM
LilSparkPlug
Champion

It could be whats causing that smell. Unless the oil is still dripping down the back of the manifold than that is the case. I can't see how it would smoke much more than a short period of time unless theres ALOT of excess oil down there. However....when this happened to mine I could just smell it faintly at idle, during normal driving I could only smell it occasionally. But it never smoked, and it was a slow leak.

Even if that banjo fitting isn't leaking now, it will leak in the future I guarantee it. It may take days, weeks or even months, but it will leak. Your still better off getting new ones.

In the SRT service manual when the turbo is replaced, the following things that MUST be replaced upon removal include the Oil feed line, and banjo fittings. And thats just taking off the line to move it out of the way so you can take the turbo out of the car. Now I know you didnt take your turbo out of your car, but that being said in the service manual is more than enough to prove that it does need to be replaced.

If you have the DCX manual its in the Body-Service manual, under Section 11, Exhaust and Turbocharger, I believe its sections 11-3 through 11-7. The parts are really cheap too, so it would be worth your while just to have some ordered, even from a dealership you dont go to and replacing them. For piece of mind, and guarantee that it wont leak in the future.

Old 09-24-2005, 04:47 AM
srtpwnsu

cool. i'll go up to the dealership and order a coupla crush washers first thing on monday. i appreciate all the good advice guys! you saved my bacon!

lando

Old 09-24-2005, 02:47 PM
LilSparkPlug
Champion

Mmmmm bacon....I want breakfast now.

No problem srtpwnsu, thats what we're here for. Good luck with everything, and tell them their banjo fittings the part number is: 4852396AB.

If I were you Id go to a dealer other than your own to order those pieces that way in case anything happens down the line with your turbo, no one at your dealership has any record of you messing with it, and they cant throw it back in your face.

Quick Reply: mopar BOV install, oil leak!!! help!!!!