Neon SRT-4 Dodge Neon SRT-4 is the pocket rocket that took the import scene and turned it upside down.

SRT-4 Noob Questions

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2005 | 01:17 PM
got boost?
|
Professional
Default SRT-4 Noob Questions

I just purchased last Thursday an '05 SRT 4 (Yay!), haven't picked it up from the dealership yet, but thats not the point. Now I'm looking to put in either a Stage II or III Mopar upgrade in the future. I've heard alotta talk about Cat deletes down pipes and such, which is fine, but what I need to know is that 1. do I need to remove the cat in order to have a Stage II or III and 2. is the Mopar Borla cat back exhaust system going to be sufficant enough? Now keep in mind I have this car as my daily driver (not every day, I have a Chevy S-10 "beater") and I live in NY State where we have emission controls, so this noob needs some expert opinions!

Thanks...

Old 10-05-2005 | 02:19 PM
posthondaremoval
Record Breaker
Default RE: SRT-4 Noob Questions

ORIGINAL: got boost?

I just purchased last Thursday an '05 SRT 4 (Yay!), haven't picked it up from the dealership yet, but thats not the point. Now I'm looking to put in either a Stage II or III Mopar upgrade in the future. I've heard alotta talk about Cat deletes down pipes and such, which is fine, but what I need to know is that 1. do I need to remove the cat in order to have a Stage II or III and 2. is the Mopar Borla cat back exhaust system going to be sufficant enough? Now keep in mind I have this car as my daily driver (not every day, I have a Chevy S-10 "beater") and I live in NY State where we have emission controls, so this noob needs some expert opinions!

Thanks...
Congrats.

The cat is fine - nothing to do with the staged kits. Removing it and using a 3" dp will just free up more power. Mopar borla should be fine, but you might get nominally better gains with a true exhaust, especially with s3.

Old 10-05-2005 | 02:25 PM
got boost?
|
Professional

So should I keep the cat and put on a 3" Turboback?

Old 10-05-2005 | 02:26 PM
got boost?
|
Professional

Sorry forgot this bit of info, I'm leaning severely towards the Stg III side here.

Old 10-05-2005 | 02:48 PM
posthondaremoval
Record Breaker

With stage 3, I would do a 3" turbo back setup and a high flow cat. I would probably drop the resonaters and do 2 bullet style mufflers, myself, but configuration is a matter of taste. If you drop the cat altogether - you might get an extra 5 hp or so, but at the expense of smog legality and a lot of stinky gas shooting out of your tailpipe(which can be fun - 'specially when it blows up at night when you downshift or hit it hard)..

Old 10-05-2005 | 03:01 PM
got boost?
|
Professional

Where would I be able to find a good 3" turbo back? I know Modernperformance has a high flow 3" down pipe with cat. Also they have the MPx full 3" system, do you know if its any good? Sorry for all the questions I'm just trying to learn as much as I can, this is my dream car and I can't afford to mess it up :P. Thanks for all your help!

Old 10-05-2005 | 04:40 PM
Gump
Record Breaker

im probally going to get flamed for this but dont order from modernperformance... both my roomate and I have had sooooooooooooooo many problems with them its nuts. im moded pretty well and my roomate is on his way to 400-500whp on 91oct so you can say we have ordered a lot of parts and a lot were from modern and they continue to disapoint.

there are like a million requests for vid and sound clips on srtforums so you can check out those for an idea of sounds and id get rid of the cat as well unless your not handy with the wrench. I dont want to sound like im refering to srt forums but they do have a lot of info like that but a lot of members are asshats and wont answer "noob" questions and make you feel bad for asking them so its not bad to just look over there but keep your home here.

Congrats on getting your dream car. i know how it feels i had mine for a little while (520hp 3000gt for 3 months ) i hope you hold on to your srt longer.

Old 10-05-2005 | 04:44 PM
SRT_YA
Record Breaker

ORIGINAL: Gump

im probally going to get flamed for this but dont order from modernperformance... both my roomate and I have had sooooooooooooooo many problems with them its nuts. im moded pretty well and my roomate is on his way to 400-500whp on 91oct so you can say we have ordered a lot of parts and a lot were from modern and they continue to disapoint.
after my 12 week delay on S2 w/toys and little help from Mod. Perf. I would tend to agree... no flaming here... They really turned me off when they just kept saying "oh, well, you just have to wait for it"... sad, they did well on the other things I bought from them...

Old 10-05-2005 | 04:56 PM
got boost?
|
Professional

Thanks, I ordered from MP before (cat back for my SXT) and had no problems. Exhaust came in like a week and a half, but that was only once sooo. Yes I'm pretty damn handy with a rench just that this is my first turbo'd car so I'm trying to soak up all the knowledge I can. Who else would you recommend buying part from then? Thanks for all the help...

got boost?

Old 10-05-2005 | 05:14 PM
Gump
Record Breaker

srt_ya i know what you mean... my S2 i was told 3-5 weeks at week 5 i called up to ask for status and got "i dont know"... i was like what... how do you not know... he responded "i dont know" again so i told him to put someone else on.at 8 weeks still no word from them...10 weeks still. so after about 11.5 weeks i called up and was like whats going on with my order? there like idk again with out even asking who i was. so i told them F this i want my money back. and hes like well we have some coming in tomarrow. and i had my kit later that week.

they also sent us a box with about 6 or 7 parts in a big *** box with NO PACKING AT ALL, we got the box and it sounded like a box of broken glass. we opened it up like wtf are they kidding us.

sorry dont want to get too off topic.

companys ive used and liked: www.turboneonstore.com, www.agpturbo.com, www.customtubesinc.com, www.jmbperformance.com
other notables: www.forwardmotioninc.com, www.howellautomotive.com (seems like a cool guy but has nothign id want to buy now), www.psifimotorsports.com, www.moparsupercenter.com, www.maxxfab.com
ones ive had problems with: www.exhaustdepot.net, www.modernperformance.com

Quick Reply: SRT-4 Noob Questions