Neon SRT-4 Dodge Neon SRT-4 is the pocket rocket that took the import scene and turned it upside down.

Mopar BOV Install - Link doesn't work

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2005, 03:10 AM
cj8718
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mopar BOV Install - Link doesn't work

I'm about frustrated trying to make this "simple" mod. The instructions didn't prepare me for the difficulty in getting to the third bolt on the whatever-it's-called.

I tried the link on the install instructions post here but it doesn't work for me.

To this point I've removed the battery, fresh air hose, and battery tray (the last in hopes of getting room to work). I can't see how to get a wrench, much less a socket, on that bolt head.

HELP!

Old 10-12-2005, 03:12 AM
LilSparkPlug
Champion
Default RE: Mopar BOV Install - Link doesn't work

Wrap your left arm, around and underneath the exhaust manifold, put your other arm through where the battery was. Swap hands back and forth until you get that bolt loose. Let me tell you its ALOT easier getting it back on than it is taking it off. A swivel head guy with a wicked long extension works too.

Old 10-12-2005, 03:17 AM
cj8718

****. Not a good time to have big arms and hands. Just can't get 'em in there.

Guess I'll have to make a skinny friend...

Thanks for the info.

Old 10-12-2005, 03:44 AM
wozman78
Rookie

i'm skinny and i still caught hell,good luck man!

Old 10-12-2005, 03:53 AM
LilSparkPlug
Champion

Yeah itll rip up your arm bigtime, but thats the easiest way I found to get at it. Outside of a swivel head, and a long extension.

Do they make sideways sockets like they do screwdrivers....cause one of those puppies would be PERFECT.

Old 10-12-2005, 01:47 PM
cj8718

Looks like it might help to remove the actual BOV (or whatever that deal on the top of the turbo assembly is). If I do that there might be enough room to get at that bolt from the top using a real long wrench.

Damn but I wish I could get the that page that describes the install. The instructions that came w/ the plate aren't real descriptive.

Old 10-12-2005, 02:11 PM
posthondaremoval
Record Breaker

ORIGINAL: cj8718

Looks like it might help to remove the actual BOV (or whatever that deal on the top of the turbo assembly is). If I do that there might be enough room to get at that bolt from the top using a real long wrench.

Damn but I wish I could get the that page that describes the install. The instructions that came w/ the plate aren't real descriptive.
No removing the wastegate won't help.

I use a ratcheting box end tied to a peice of string in case i drop it - It works fine - just takes a while. be careful not to bend the oil line.

Old 10-12-2005, 02:48 PM
Olie70
Professional

Just a couple observations from my experience with the POS=BOV:

Definitly try and get a wratcheting wrench (one side a wratchet, other side open ended wrench) and yes, a string is an excellent idea....one time dropped wrentch into the "ABYSS" and wasted 10 mins with a magnet antenna thing fishing it out.....and be careful with bolts when removing.....save the original, you might want to take the POS=BOV off. Mine was not cut evenly resulting in constant boost leak. Some installed with out a glitch, mine came off and I am glad it did. Definitly reach under the heat shield for the passenger bolt, just wait 1 and a half to 2 hours for cool down if you drove it.....trust me......your arm will get cut and abused right below the left elbow and right on the bottomside of wrist....plus your fingers will hurt from the wratchet motion. The string is needed because your hand will cramp up and you will loose grip. I found the driver side bolt needed a regular round ended wrentch because at least with the wratcheting wrentch, the wrentch was too thick to grab bolt. Some people use pera seal or another sealent, and if you decide to take it off in the future, you will have all that stuff to scrape off. Do not take anything off the turbo, including hoses....(except for the pink line into the sensor) just remove battery and you will be able to connect the pass bolt, just get it in with hand, tighten by hand a little....and then tighten properly. Oh yea, when ready to put it back on, hand tighten the top bolt first to keep in place, other people used tape......

Hope this helps....good luck!!!!! Be patient!!!!![:@][:@]

Just read more carfully....you are a big dude.....try a 10mm with many extensions, forming a U shape.....

Old 10-12-2005, 03:34 PM
Hi N Mity
Rookie

I took the bolt out of the oil feed line to the turbo and moved it over a little bit to gain some more space. Be careful not to drop the washer that is on the bolt. Do use a piece of string on that wrench...I wasnt smart enough to think about that when I did mine, and half way thru the project, I was trying to teach the dog to fetch the wrench out from under the car. I also used Permatex Gasket Sealer on the gasket in hopes of not getting any leaks from the plate. Well, it didnt leak, but when I got tired of the PPSSSSTTTT, I went to remove the plate and had to pretty much hammer it off. I spent 1.5 hours with a razor blade scraping off the old gasket from the turbo. So I wished that I had never used the sealer in the 1st place. Patience is the key to that 3rd bolt. 80% of the time to do this project is wasted on that bolt, so take your time.

Old 10-12-2005, 03:47 PM
cj8718

When re-installing the BOV, is it best to work the "hard" bolt first?

I've got the other two on but just can't get the 3rd bolt started... the oil line is in the way.

Thoughts?

Quick Reply: Mopar BOV Install - Link doesn't work