Neon SRT-4 Dodge Neon SRT-4 is the pocket rocket that took the import scene and turned it upside down.

Slow speed rattle...

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2005 | 09:35 PM
Andy4.7
|
Captain
Default Slow speed rattle...

Today my car starting making a weird noise...

It's like a rattle/vibration type sound comming from the right front. I first thought it was the glove box or something in it, but it wasn't - to give an idea of the direction the noise seems to be comming from.

It ONLY makes the noise 20-10mph. At first it seemed like it was only on deaccleration (which is where I first heard it) but later I went to try and hear it more and it was doing it driving at about 15mph in second gear.

It does NOT make the noise accelerating from a stop.

Any ideas?

Old 12-22-2005 | 07:25 AM
Pressurecooker
Record Breaker
Default RE: Slow speed rattle...

Does it do it while braking or coasting? Clutch in or out? How many miles on the car? If you rev the engine when you hear it, does the noise go away? Does it sound metallic? It could be a heatshield, brake caliper/pad, loose interior panels, anything.

Old 12-22-2005 | 07:35 AM
Andy4.7
|
Captain

I'm going to have to test drive it some more to get more of a feel of it... It started raining pretty hard when I was trying to listen to it and it was getting hard to hear it.

It wasn't a metalic type sound, I dunno how to describe it... I might even try to get a soundclip if my camera will pick it up.

Maybe it'll go away by itself over night lol

Old 12-22-2005 | 06:08 PM
Andy4.7
|
Captain

Ok, I went out again today and it's not doing it as much while slowing down but it's like twice as loud as it was yesterday while driving steady anywhere between 10-20mph. It's definetly not anything mechanical as far as the drivetrain - well I suppose it could be but it sure doesn't seem that way, and it sounds like some type of interior rattle. Now it's almost seeming to come from the passenger door panel but could easily be comming from somewhere else. The thing that makes me wonder is why it only does it 10-20mph 1st-3rd gear and neutral it doesn't matter.

Majorly annoying... Dealership+noise type problem=Majorly annoying [:@]

Atleast it's only at a limited mph, though knowing its there and will be there when I go that speed seriouslly drives me insane lol damn

Old 12-23-2005 | 01:34 AM
Lzealot

Didn't you just have your windows tinted? Did they remove any of the trim to do it? I'd be taking a close look at the passenger side door panel. Might something is not snapped on right. If your at 15mph in second gear your just one the edge of getting the under rev motor vibration. Also I'd check for a lose screw in the side dash. I had a wicked rattle that drove me nuts in my hyundai and that's what it turned out to be.

G' luck

Old 12-23-2005 | 03:59 AM
Pressurecooker
Record Breaker

You don't have solid motor mounts do ya?

Old 12-23-2005 | 07:17 AM
Andy4.7
|
Captain

only mods to the car are the catback and tint

A guy on srtforums suggested tightening the upper motor mount. I did that, it was already pretty damn tight I turned them alittle and I could go tighter but I didn't feel the need it was very tight. No change.

Lzealot, I actually thought about that aswell, though I had the windows tinted on like Nov 5, noise didn't start untill yesterday. But I'm going to take a look more closely at all the interior tommarrow.

It's one of those things that just bugs you and bugs you even when you're not in the car... Like right now I'm annoyed as hell just thinking about it. [:@]

Old 12-23-2005 | 03:53 PM
Lzealot

I hear ya bro. Things like that drive me nuts too. Your best bet to locate it is to grab a friend and let them sit next to you and search for it while you drive. I had a whistling noise in my hyundai that I couldn't find, but could hear that was driving me insane I made my girl drive it on the highway while I searched for it. Turned out to be the upper right windshield wasn't sealed right. I thought it was the passanger side door gasket.....until finding it this way.

Let me know what you find

LZ

Old 12-23-2005 | 07:50 PM
Andy4.7
|
Captain

Well was looking over interior parts today and noticed something was loose inside the door panel. Not sure what it could be, and not sure if they took them off when they tinted the windows, but nonetheless theres definetly something loose inside there rattling around. After wiggling the door listening to it rattle I didn't hear it when I was out driving. I'm going to take the panel off sometime though and see what it is. I think that may be what I was hearing. Kind of hope it is actually.

Old 12-23-2005 | 08:52 PM
LilSparkPlug
Champion

Have someone else drive the car while you sit in the passenger seat, go over a few gentle bumps and listen to the door. Or they're easy enough to take apart, just pop that bad boy off and check it out

Quick Reply: Slow speed rattle...