Neon SRT-4 Dodge Neon SRT-4 is the pocket rocket that took the import scene and turned it upside down.

Wheel hop problem

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2005 | 10:40 PM
neon_srt4
Default Wheel hop problem

my car has a real bad wheel hop problem when i launch it and i was wondering if anyone knows what i can do to make it go away

Old 12-29-2005 | 10:43 PM
American__Muscle
Veteran
Default RE: Wheel hop problem

Motor mounts. As with any mod though, there is a compromise, otherwise they would have solved the problem when the produced the car. The compromise is: Stiffer motor mounts for less wheel hop BUT more in-car vibration. If the wheelhop is bothering you that much, then motor mounts are what you need, but be prepared for the vibration.

Old 12-30-2005 | 12:07 AM
WhtLightning
Professional

Well said muscle. There is another type of device that bolts between the shock tower and the motor mount to stop the engine from twisting. It adds vibration too though.

Old 12-30-2005 | 01:21 AM
LilSparkPlug
Champion

Launch around 1200rpms stock, and feather out the clutch, dont just romp on it. That will solve some of it. Proper launching gets rid of some wheel hop, but with proper launching and motor mounts, your golden. There will/may always be "some" wheel hop, but not such a large amount when things are done right

Old 12-30-2005 | 02:24 AM
black srt 4

talking about wheel hop I have more then most people. it wheel hop through 1 gear and I launch at 1200 to 1500 rpms. I have energy suspension motor mounts for it I have not put them on yet. I talk to alot of people that have the same problem before they brought these motor mount and they said it work great but you might or still will have some wheel hop to the car.

Old 12-30-2005 | 01:58 PM
PSI Chick
Champion

inserts aren't going to do a whole lot. they help sure, but a solid mount is really the best option if you want to truly get rid of as much wheel hop as possible.

Old 12-30-2005 | 03:45 PM
posthondaremoval
Record Breaker

ORIGINAL: black srt 4

talking about wheel hop I have more then most people. it wheel hop through 1 gear and I launch at 1200 to 1500 rpms. I have energy suspension motor mounts for it I have not put them on yet. I talk to alot of people that have the same problem before they brought these motor mount and they said it work great but you might or still will have some wheel hop to the car.
Watch the install on those - use some machine screws instead of the Ziptie fasteners they give you. Your car will thank you when they don't fall out. Prothane makes ones that are 1 piece that are a little more secure, but if you have them already, make sure they stay in there.

Also - what will really help you in eliminating wheelhop much more than inserts is to drop your tire pressure up front. I find that 19 psi at the strip gives a nice hopless launch at 2000 rpm. Obviously, on the street it isn't that smart to take turns at that pressure, but lower pressure will give the tire the ability to sag a little instead of the motor so try dropping it in small increments until it feels better. I would guess that around 25 psi on the street will help a lot. (Just remember not to challenge anyone to a race through the twisties at that level)

Quick Reply: Wheel hop problem