Neon SRT-4 Dodge Neon SRT-4 is the pocket rocket that took the import scene and turned it upside down.

K&N Typhoon CAI

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2004, 10:28 AM
71RoadRunner
Legend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default K&N Typhoon CAI

I received my K&N Typhoon CAI and Mopar STS w/booger bushings from Modern Performance yesterday. I got most of the K&N installed, right now it's in the short ram mode until I get my Torx bits out of storage to put in the other section of it. It is a nice CAI kit, but I do have a few complaints about it.

First off is one of the clamps, the one that secures the silicon elbow to the turbo. It is barely big enough to be useable, but with the supplied allen wrench you'll be damn lucky to ever get it on. I stole the lower hose clamp off of the factory air box set-up to use instead. The factory clamp that was on the turbo is too large and will run out of adjustment before it's tight enough(for my tastes anyway).

Secondly is the intake air temp sensor placement, it's too damn far away. I had to stretch the crap out of it and I still had to cut some of the tape/wraping to get it over where it needs to be. I was praying that I wouldn't cut a wire by accident, I was doing this from 10PM-12:30AM. If I had known some of this prior to my install, I could have had it done in about an hour.

The rest of it was spot on perfect and simple. If you do use the supplied clamp for the turbo, you better have/get an allen/hex bit that you can use with a ratchet and an extension or you will be fighting and cussing it for hours just trying to tighten just it alone. The rest is per the instructions with the exception of the intake temp sensor which may have to be seperated a little from the other connector that is wraped in along with it.

Now on to the best part, how does it do and sound? Sitting at an idle and revving it, it sounds roughly 100% stock. However, put it in gear and take off so that the turbo actually comes into play and it's a whole different story. Previously I only could barely hear a slight turbo whistle at WOT, but now OMG!!!!!!!! Even at very light throttle you hear this bad boy whistling to life. And at WOT you better get ear plugs, because the whistle is frickin' fantastic!!!!! The Mopar BOV seems to be a little louder now too. Boost? Tons of it a whole lot earlier than before, it spools up quick and high way more than before. The boost pressure is there right now, you can tell it's breathing better. If your looking to make your SRT-4 into a sleeper, then you better make or get a CAI kit that has plastic tubing. I have ran it with the air box cover off and it makes a little more noise, but nothing like this CAI. They will know what you've got instantly if your tubes/piping are metal. I cannot wait to see what it's like and how it sounds with the lower section put on. It doesn't seem to give a huge amount of more power, but it is noticable. Now I need a less humid day to run it where it gets the full 14-15 psi boost and the steering wheel fight.[sm=smiley20.gif][sm=smiley2.gif]

Old 05-20-2004, 10:39 AM
glhs837
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: K&N Typhoon CAI

Awww, darnit!!!!!! Why'd you have to go and do this!!!!! Now I wanna testbed this sucker with S2 If my wife don't kill me soon, it'll be a miracle.

20K = SRT-4
340 = Stage 1
350 = Mopar exhaust
1400 = Stage 2
300 = 2 Bridgestone Potenza SO3 Pole Position tires (next two next week for another 300)
New brake pads soon at 130.

Her quote "This is the new car that won't cost me for parts all the time? Riiiight"

Of course, the list continues.

K&N intake
Maxxfab exhust
stage 3 suspension
SSR competition rims
either complete 04 trans or just an LSD

Damn, I see what she means

Old 05-21-2004, 12:02 AM
benm21

i had the same problem. mine is cold air not short. all the clamps fit on mine.

Old 05-21-2004, 06:55 AM
71RoadRunner
Legend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My clamp barely fit, but it did fit. However, there was no way I could/would go through trying to tighten it with the supplied allen wrench.

I put on the lower section to my K&N CAI tonight. It was simple. It still sounds great and all, but now it's getting the cooler air from outside the engine compartment. It places the filter right at the very bottom of the cars nose/fender, it's bottom is even with the bottom of the car, except at a slight angle. The filter sock is a must with where it is at, unless you like cleaning the filter and trying to get the bugs removed from each and every pleat. Now all I need is an OCC for the line from the valve cover to the CAI tube.

Old 05-21-2004, 11:31 AM
dustyloins
R.I.P. Dusty (Retired Moderator
Hall of Fame Member

Another $12.99 and another trip to Auto Zone is cheap insurance...[sm=smiley16.gif]

Old 05-21-2004, 03:11 PM
roachnigga
Record Breaker

How many occ you need on the car?

Old 05-21-2004, 04:09 PM
dustyloins
Hall of Fame Member

Up to now, most people use one. However, two might be better. I'm going to do some checking around and try to get some more info....

Old 05-21-2004, 04:15 PM
roachnigga
Record Breaker

That'll be great...

Old 05-21-2004, 08:56 PM
Bildo
Rookie

I have the K&N CAI too and I had the same problem with the clamp and the air temperature sensor. I thought I messed up because that is the first thing I have ever done to a car other than changing my oil. Everything else I have paid the big bucks to have someone else install. I also bought that Zero Gravity thing but I'm afraid to try to put it on because I know nothing about splicing wires. Next up will probably be the OCC. I think I'm going to try setting up 2. Let me know if anyone finds out if it's beneficial or not.

Old 05-21-2004, 09:17 PM
dustyloins
Hall of Fame Member

I'm still looking (and trying to cook my dinner as well!)....by the "Zero Gravity" thing, I hope you're not talking about that "module/chip" that they sell on eBay for $25-$30.......

Quick Reply: K&N Typhoon CAI