Neon SRT-4 Dodge Neon SRT-4 is the pocket rocket that took the import scene and turned it upside down.

K&N Typhoon CAI

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2004, 09:48 PM
Bildo
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: K&N Typhoon CAI

yes, yes I am. Why? Is that a bad thing?

Old 05-21-2004, 10:54 PM
dustyloins
R.I.P. Dusty (Retired Moderator
Hall of Fame Member

I hate to "dis" your purchase, but that thing doesn't do anything for performance. Don't feel like the Lone Ranger, I ALMOST bought one myself until I read the Ebay seller's feedback....several people wrote that they noticed no difference and a few folks took it apart only to find a 25 cent capacitor inside. I asked my dealer about it and he just laughed and said "If those things really worked, WE'D be selling them!" That's a logical statement, if they did work and give any noticeable gains, EVERYBODY would either
have one or be buying one....just some words of wisdom from an old guy who's been fooled once too many times....

On the plus side, nobody said it hurt the engine....did the seller give you any type of "money-back" option???? Sorry for the bad news, dude.....

Old 05-21-2004, 11:08 PM
dustyloins
Hall of Fame Member

Got one answer to the 2nd OCC question...a guy at the other forum says he doesn't know of anybody running a 2nd can, but, now get this, and I quote, "My car has been doing such a good job of burning oil in the UPP, I may take off the oil catch can."

Any ideas on what a UPP is???? I know it's Friday and I'm tired, but I can't think of anything like that.....[sm=smiley5.gif]

Old 05-22-2004, 12:00 AM
Bildo
Rookie

I guess I was right to second guess that purchase. I hadn't heard anyone else talking about it and it was real cheap so a little too good to be true. I still haven't installed it yet. I probably will one day just to see what it does, if anything.

I think the only UPP I've ever heard of is the Upper Pressure Pipe and I don't know where it is, what it is, or what it does, so I probably didn't help you at all but maybe that little bit of info can get you somewhere in your search or maybe you already know that much.

Old 05-22-2004, 12:47 AM
dustyloins
Hall of Fame Member

According to someone who is much smarter than myself, the "UPP" is "the plastic pipe that goes from the driver's side of the intercooler, into the throttle body. There is a red vacuum line, and another sensor line (red) on it when you open the hood, just to the right of the airbox."

I'm going to have to wait till daylight to look at my engine...it's dark now and the light in my garage has burned out.....[:'(]

Old 05-22-2004, 05:35 AM
71RoadRunner
Legend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yeah, it's a pressure pipe. The vacuum line from the PCV goes straight to the intake manifold, after the throttle body, so that has no effect on the PCV and the oil in it. It could have something to do with the oil from the vacuum line that comes from the other side of the valve cover. The problem is that this line with the CAI will put oil into the intake tube, turbo, IC pipes/hoses and intercooler.

After looking it over, running both to the same OCC should be just fine since the CAI puts the drivers side valve cover vacuum line into a higher vacuum situation, much like being connected to the intake manifold. One could T the two together before the OCC and not need the second OCC, but I will keep them seperate just to see how much oil is lost between the two seperately.

My question to the guy on the other forum would be, how can an intercooler to throttle body pipe burn anything especially a synthetic oil? That sounds like BS to me. I know for a fact that the driver side vacuum line draws oil from out of the valve cover just like the PCV line. Just look in your air box, there is a white foam filter to the left rear of the box as you face it from the front of the car. You can follow the vacuum line into the air box right where the foam filter is and you will see oil in it at well as running down from that same area. If I get up early enough, I will run to Auto Zone and get another OCC and hook it up to that line, then I'll post my findings after going to the Chrysler Classics. This will give me a 80 mile test before I get back, so there should be some in it by then.[sm=smiley2.gif]

Old 05-22-2004, 03:39 PM
dustyloins
Hall of Fame Member

...One of several reasons I prefer DF over the "other leading brand"....[sm=smiley36.gif][sm=smiley20.gif]

Old 05-23-2004, 05:55 AM
71RoadRunner
Legend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Got the other OCC installed, but I only got around 15 miles on it after the install. It sucks being so close with the K&N CAI and the valve cover. The 2 hoses are kinda like roaches where they want to kink a little. It would be ideal if I could find 90* bends that could fit on both to eliminate the hoses overlapping each other. I will post pics as soon as I get them developed.

Old 05-25-2004, 03:37 AM
megaman
Professional

yo 71rr, do you percieve any problem with the installation of the stage 2 turbo kits map and tip sensors after the installation of a k&n typhoon cai? or would your advice be to wait for the stage two and install them at the same time? i'm planning to get my new o4 srt-4 installed with the performance parts from my 03 which expired recently.

Old 05-25-2004, 04:18 AM
andybuzz2u

Yeah Roadrunner i ran into that when i purchased my K&N CAI. The part that rubbed me raw was trying to line up the lower tube, and tighten the clamp on the filter in the lower fender, which is no room, so start early there. I never did get mine were it would not rub the hood or the inner fender. It would rub one or the other. It had no in between. I recently got the AEM CAI and like it a lot better. But for the books the K&N CAI does sound a lot better. Another booger is installing the splash shield, all i can say is jack it up as high as you can get it. I know of a few people who left thers off, but with the wild thunder storms an flash floods we get in the south, last thing i want to do is water inject the engine...

Quick Reply: K&N Typhoon CAI