Neon SRT-4 Dodge Neon SRT-4 is the pocket rocket that took the import scene and turned it upside down.

$2000

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2006 | 06:10 PM
MEandmySRT
Professional
Default RE: $2000

ORIGINAL: coyoteyz13

ORIGINAL: MEandmySRT

ORIGINAL: Nicky B

ORIGINAL: MEandmySRT

Not trying to argue here, but I have a question: If someone almost never uses the "high octane" mode...are the "toys" really worth it? On regular octane mode, I've seen graphs that nearly put down the same HP and TQ numbers for toys VS no toys. Wouldn't the extra money spent on the "toys" be better used on a larger cooler? Or not? For me, a larger cooler would be used 100% of the time - High octane mode would be used about 2% of the time.

Get a stage 2 with the toys, cold-air intake, exhaust, and with high octane mode on you can hit the low 13's with good tires.

Well what other modd is there when alls you need to do is press a button to gain 20HP without increaseing boost levels. And if you get a stage 3 you could gain 40HP in High Octane Mode.

Because, like I said, I'd never use the "high octane" mode. You need at least 100 octane fuel to use the H.O. mode, yes? And since I won't ever have H.O. fuel in my car when I'm making boost...except for maybe 1% or 2% of the time, it would be a waste of money for me. But I could use the larger cooler all the time. Anybody know how much HP gain a "Monster" cooler would add to a Stage 2 with intake and exhaust mods? Thanks.
I have a S2 WO toys. If I were to do it again, I would have bought the toys. you can hold HOM on 93 oct with Water Injection.

I wouldn't flat-out refuse the toys, but I'd like to compare the pros and cons of the toys VS a cooler upgrade. I'm not sure that a "Monster" cooler would add HP or even be needed on a stage 2, but I'm still real new to turbo systems and options.

BTW...I can only get junky 91 octane fuel around here now - last year 94 octane was available.

Old 06-16-2006 | 07:43 PM
Nicky B
Captain

Would 98 octane keep you in High-Octane Mode?

Old 06-16-2006 | 08:35 PM
FlakDodger

There is more to the Stage 2 toys than the HOM. With the price of gas just having the adjustable boost is a money saver. When it is turned down to the '0' position you have 5-7 pounds of boost and I still get 29.4 to the gallon cruising on the highway. A aftermarket boost controller controls your boost. The SRT engineers did a great job make the pcms better with their upgrades.

Stage two without the toys will cost you just in gas unless you plan to run flatout all the time. You also have the intercooler sprayer that helps. It can be run in auto mode which will spray whenever it sense a heavy load on the motor or a temperatur rise. You can also activate it manually. The HOM mode will give you a consistent .5 second difference in your 1/4 mile times with no hassle, no retuning, just drive and enjoy.

I run my intercooler sprayer off of the Windshield washer tank and throw in some ice at the track to make it as cold as possible. I can notice the difference in my times when it is on and when I forget to turn it on. Damn, old age again!

I am not against going aftermarket with your equipment, but in comparing notes with other WI SRT owners, the ones who are running the Mopar upgrades seem to be driving their cars and enjoying them more than those who are experimenting with aftermarket. Again, I am not dissing the aftermarket equipment. It is great stuff! I just like spending all of my wheel time enjoying my ride, not tuning it.

It is your pocket book and your car, in the end you will have to make the choice on what you want to do.

Then just do it and enjoy a great little ride!

P.S. - 98 octane and some octane booster may keep you in HOM mode, but from experience I have found that the octane booster will hold the HOM mode, but there is still a noticable difference in the way the cars performs when you are on real 100+ octane. Again, that is just my experience running my car.

Old 09-27-2007 | 10:54 AM
squirreljester

Isn't S2 without toys = S2 with toys with DAB at 2? You can notch the DAB to 3 and get a little higher boost/fuel curve/HP/torque over S2 w/o toys.
And you have HOM which for $300 you can get a DevilsOwn progressive W/I kit that runs the $0.99 windshield washer fluid, and basically run in HOM all day long.

Old 09-28-2007 | 11:04 AM
srt4ACRboy
Professional

Would 98 octane keep you in High-Octane Mode?
I am pretty sure that it has to be 100 in HOM.

Old 09-28-2007 | 11:09 AM
srt4ACRboy
Professional

Flakdodger are you the "old guy" Jim B. from de pere?

Quick Reply: $2000