Neon SRT-4 Dodge Neon SRT-4 is the pocket rocket that took the import scene and turned it upside down.

BOV?

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2006, 04:32 PM
bigddy9
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: BOV?

ORIGINAL: zukidragon

I would like to install a BOV but my wife does not like the noise Just wanted to see what was the quietest one I could get
Quietest BOV or quietest wife?

Danny

Old 09-11-2006, 07:05 PM
yorksrt
Rookie

what i was told by K&N is that you will hear a "flutter" sound, especially at low rpm because an aftermarket intake doesn't have any baffles to quiet down the air coming in. so what you're actually hearing is the compressor wheel spinning. nothing wrong with that, it's just you'll hear a lot of sound from that area of the car. the first time i heard it was right after i put it on going through a parking lot when a bunch of people were looking at me. kind of embarassing until i found out that's okay. the other flutter is when you're at a low rpm, say 5th gear doing 60mph, and you mash the gas. that's turbo lag. just shift down a gear and go.

Old 09-11-2006, 07:38 PM
Burnnout
All Star

uhh ... ya what york said That pretty much explains it = )

Old 09-11-2006, 07:41 PM
Burnnout
All Star

What part of Va Beach are ya from BTW ?

Old 09-11-2006, 08:27 PM
flamingpinhead
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator

it makes sense what yorksrt said. the mopar plate is fairly loud, enough to scare joggers and such. the flutter happens around 5-10 lbs of vac. i thought it might be the bov but i also knew it could be the k&N intake. installed both at the same time so i didnt know which was causing it for sure.

Old 09-11-2006, 10:05 PM
silvercoupe97
Uber Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator

ORIGINAL: Burnnout

What part of Va Beach are ya from BTW ?
I come from the Lynbrook Landing area and went to Bayside a long time ago. This was before the beach was catering to the tourists like they were last year when I went home. My old stomping grounds have good down hill though, too bad too, I had some fun as a kid there too.

ORIGINAL: flamingpinhead

it makes sense what yorksrt said. the mopar plate is fairly loud, enough to scare joggers and such. the flutter happens around 5-10 lbs of vac. i thought it might be the bov but i also knew it could be the k&N intake. installed both at the same time so i didnt know which was causing it for sure.
I'm going to have to take a ride in my local groups SRT-4s, lol. I think our lingos are different, lol. I've never heard vacuum (Hg) create any kind of noise (except the start of the whine) because the turbo is "starting up". 10hg turns into 21psi fast with my turbo Boost is where pressure is actually applied to the throttle, vacuum is just that, vacuum...and it makes more sense to me that 5-10lbs of "boost" will cause any kind of "flutter" (which is still low boost) over 5-10hg of vacuum.

It's just what you guys are saying is a bit off to me, is all. I think it's because we come from two different communities, but I don't know. I'm a part of the DSM and Audi communities too and it seems easy to relate to the A4 turbo guys because our terminology is the same.
Oh well, I'll just sit and learn.

Old 09-11-2006, 11:19 PM
flamingpinhead
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator

my terms may be bad. ill just explain it this way, if giving it a little throttle, so im still on the vac side a little bit (near 0), and let off the throttle it will make a flutter sound.

Old 09-11-2006, 11:20 PM
yorksrt
Rookie

correct me if i'm wrong cause this turbo stuff is still fairly new and mystical to me, but the mopar bov is just a surge valve that enhances the factory surge valve. even if you were at 5-10 hg, when you press the gas, pressure is increased and vaccuum is decreased. if you let off the gas before reaching boost, the surge valve releases the pressure created, even though it's not boost. i do this in my car sometimes in a tunnel or overpass just to hear the whoosh, never reaching boost. the flutter is simply caused because the compressor wheel is attached to the turbine wheel. since the turbo is almost always turning(until the wastegate closes the path of exhaust which only happens when max boost is reached, even then it still spins, just not as fast) you will hear a "flutter" sound because with an aftermarket intake there is nothing to quiet it down. the bov doesn't make the flutter, the intake does. i think these were two different topics that somehow got entangled.

Old 09-12-2006, 03:15 AM
hozay@N2MB
Professional

This guy is asking for the quietest BOV and most of you are suggesting he get the most ANNOYING one of them all?? The mopar rice place? Come on, that thing is P.I.T.A. Don't think the wife will appreciate a constant "woosh" evertime you hit the throttle.

My opinion on the questest yet reliable BOV would be the Greddy type RS. Very subtle woosh and doesn't blow off when NOT necessary like the mopar plate. If your interested, I believe a local guy is selling a barely used one w/ an AGP hardpipe for $280 plus shipping. That's a steal.

Old 09-12-2006, 03:59 AM
silvercoupe97
Uber Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator

I found a youtube vid of BOV blow off comparisons. I agree that the Mopar has a fuller sound to it and it definitely isn't the quietest.
Here's the vid.