Neon SRT-4 Dodge Neon SRT-4 is the pocket rocket that took the import scene and turned it upside down.

what fluids to use?

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2006 | 11:26 PM
neonewbie05
Default what fluids to use?

Has anyone been using Mobil 0W-40 Full Synthetic for oil? I'm currently using Mobil 5W-30 Full Syn. with a K&N oil filter, but if it's beneficial to switch to something else I will. What are quality brands and weights to use? Also are there any recommended additives-I've stayed away from them until now but if something works then I'll use it.

Old 10-18-2006 | 04:21 AM
PSI Chick
Champion
Default RE: what fluids to use?

i use 0-40 whenever i can. it's not an easy weight to come by, but my car seems to like it better. i only use mobil 1 oils, and have never used any additives, they don't seem to do much so why waste the money.

Old 10-18-2006 | 05:54 PM
blue_srt4
Professional

i use 10w40 royal purple with a wix filter.

Old 10-19-2006 | 12:53 AM
neonewbie05

O.K. Thanks--Are there any issues with more blow-by when running the lighter weight? Is that why blue_srt4 uses 10W? Do you both use them year round, or switch for winter/summer? I don't have a cc yet, but hope to soon (any recommendations greatly appreciated) . I agree about the additives, but wasn't sure because I've never had a 4 cyl. or turbocharged car.

Old 10-19-2006 | 01:07 AM
dustyloins
R.I.P. Dusty (Retired Moderator
Hall of Fame Member

The owner's manual says to not use oil additives and recommends synthetic oil. Mobil-1 has worked fine for me and is cheaper than the other brands like Amsoil and Redline or Royal Purple. Plus it comes from a company that has been making motor oil for a very long time. I have no issues with it and I shop around and can find it in 0W-40 at any auto parts store for the winter time and I run 5W-30 in the summer which is a weight Wal-Mart carries all the time at a cheap price.

You need an oil catch can ASAP!!!!!!!! Refer to the stickys at the top of the SRT-4 section page.

Dusty

Old 10-19-2006 | 02:07 AM
neonewbie05

Thanks Dusty I'll be taking a trip to Auto Zone tomorrow soon as I get out of work Checked out the stickys and now I understand the urgency to have them, especially since I have a lead foot! Also going to take your advice on the oil as well thanks again!

Quick Reply: what fluids to use?