Neon SRT-4 Dodge Neon SRT-4 is the pocket rocket that took the import scene and turned it upside down.

NGK Plugs

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2006, 11:26 AM
Burnnout
All Star
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: NGK Plugs

The NGK 4306's everyone has problems with from what i've read... the denso itl's are nice plugs but i can't get a hold of them without ordering from the net... would rather just go with the iridium ngk's.... what stock number is the one's you recommend SRT_YA ?

lol `71RR383SRT4..... "LPS" ? ... Hey LiL Plug Spark

Old 10-20-2006, 01:29 PM
hozay@N2MB
Professional

ORIGINAL: talisman

Burnout, I just bought the stock heat range NGK Iridiums from modern Performance. They should be here today.

NGK Iridium Spark Plugs Stock heat range (LZTR5AIX-13) and colder (LZTR6AIX-13) available

$29.99 set of 4
These are great plugs if your running strong supporting mods on your stock turbo or have a mopar stg 3 kit. We always recommend using NGK copper stock 4306 plug's if you have the standard mods or aftermarket turbo. Colder range obviously for those who are running higher hp.

Don't know where your seeing everyone having problem's with 4306 plugs but they have been great for us.

Old 10-21-2006, 01:43 PM
Burnnout
All Star

Well.... Psi chick for example. ......Why would copper stock be reccomended over platinum or iridium anyway ? ... curious ... not the most knowledgable on spark plugs.

Old 10-23-2006, 02:31 PM
Hondo449

I just bought a '05. What plugs and wires do you guys recomend for a stock SRT-4 with no obvious mods. I have noticed that the vent tube off the valve cover has been replaced with a screen filter. Thank you for your help

Old 10-23-2006, 03:12 PM
hozay@N2MB
Professional

ORIGINAL: Burnnout

Well.... Psi chick for example. ......Why would copper stock be reccomended over platinum or iridium anyway ? ... curious ... not the most knowledgable on spark plugs.
NEVER put platinum plugs on these cars! That's a big big no no. Especially for a forced inducted car. Iridium plugs we only recommend to those who have S3 or massive HP, it's just not beneficial to spend $30+ for plugs if you don't have to. We have numerous customer's with 50 trim turbo's and equivalent that are running stock 4306 plugs. They just work great. PSI Chick will agree that 4306 plugs are not meant on a S3 car.

Old 10-23-2006, 03:15 PM
talisman
Veteran

I put the NGK Iridium 2314's in the car Friday, they were pre-gapped to .052 along with new Magnecor 8.5mm wires and the car runs great. I also installed the heat shield Modern sells to protect the coil and wires from the turbo heat.

Old 10-23-2006, 03:53 PM
Hondo449

Okay, one person says DO NOT use Iridium plugs as this is a big no-no. While another says use them. Is it just that the Iridium plus are over kill? Again thank you for your help.

Old 10-23-2006, 06:48 PM
PSI Chick
Champion

no they're not overkill, but why spend all the money when a regular copper will work just as well? s3 LOVES irridium plugs, while 50 trims work better on coppers. stock cars can take either, but unless you're having a problem with coppers just stick with those as they're much cheaper.

Old 10-23-2006, 07:36 PM
GPtuner

ORIGINAL: PSI Chick

no they're not overkill, but why spend all the money when a regular copper will work just as well? s3 LOVES irridium plugs, while 50 trims work better on coppers. stock cars can take either, but unless you're having a problem with coppers just stick with those as they're much cheaper.

She's right, there is no point in buying a set of plugs that just do the same exact thing as the other. The only thing I can tell you is that the more boost you run, you need to lower your gap space, and depending on how much more boost you go up, go with colder heat range plugs, but platnums, will melt reguardless on boosted cars.

But if your next to stock, just go with stock replacements.....honestly you wont notice squat upgrading plugs if your next to stock.

But just so you know, I used iridiums in my GTP with only 8 PSI out of the supercharger, and it HATED THEM but i realised at that point that i got a smaller SC pulley, and was running more boost than stock.

Typically when you add more boost into your motor, your also adding more atmospheric pressure into your chambers, therefore a stock gap space might have been set based on your factory boost level. but once you increase boost, the more resistance it gives the spark to travel from one end of the electrode to the other, there fore it weakens the spark. and when the plug gets hot enough, it creates even more resistance, there for going with a colder stage plug, and closing the gap, it allows the spark to travel with less resistance, giving you better spark, and wont increase your chances of your plugs actually getting the added pressure in your chambers to blow that spark out like a candle before it even has a chance to jump the gap.

Old 10-23-2006, 09:45 PM
SRT_YA
Record Breaker

Just want to make sure everyone is on the same page here... copper... are you referring to the ground electrode, because these plugs are nickel (probably with the v-groove). Iridium's and Platinums have the same characteristics... Iridium is typically a little better for ignitability but you won't notice the difference. All precious metal plugs from NGK are rated to 100k miles, while the nickels are rated to ~30k miles. This is typical for all spark plug suppliers (Bosch, Denso, NGK, Champion, etc.)

I've never heard of anyone having trouble with Pt. plug, but why use them anyway? As for nickels, they are less prone to "spark blow out" I suppose... but I almost wonder if this is a condition anyone has seen with an upgraded coil... it's a pretty well known fact that DC dwells the crap out of their plugs (aka, they give'em a lot of spark)...

I don't know the stock numbers for our parts... I only know the part numbers (Aftermarket knows stock numbers, I work in the OEM side)... www.sparkplugs.com would be able to help you with stock numbers.

Quick Reply: NGK Plugs