Neon SRT-4 Dodge Neon SRT-4 is the pocket rocket that took the import scene and turned it upside down.

are mod's a waste?

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2006, 05:09 PM
Plan B
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: are mod's a waste?

ORIGINAL: hozay@N2MB

Minor adjustments? No. Not if you boost properly. Spike 21psi and drop to 18, then yea your running lean. That's why I encourage folks who do purchase a MBC/WGA combo to set your boost at a safe, conservative level. If your unsure if you should be boosting too high, you do either one of two things. Purchase a wideband or leave the boost alone.
Kind of what I was thinking, thanks Hozay. What kind of boost levels have you seen people run safely without the wideband?

Old 11-09-2006, 07:31 PM
GPtuner

i dont care WHO does it, but its stupid to raise boost without adding more fuel...period

Every newB who had a DSM used to ask me if they could just jack up the boost a couple pounds and not do anything else....needless to say, even after i told them no, they had "SOME BUDDY" turn up the boost anyway and wound up breaking something....

Boost is not something to toy around with unless you do things right

Old 11-09-2006, 08:34 PM
talisman
Veteran

I don't see anyone here talking about raising boost to "stupid" levels. We are talking barely over stock if that and simply holding the boost longer, we are not talking about running 25-26 PSI.

Old 11-09-2006, 10:46 PM
hozay@N2MB
Professional

ORIGINAL: Plan B

ORIGINAL: hozay@N2MB

Minor adjustments? No. Not if you boost properly. Spike 21psi and drop to 18, then yea your running lean. That's why I encourage folks who do purchase a MBC/WGA combo to set your boost at a safe, conservative level. If your unsure if you should be boosting too high, you do either one of two things. Purchase a wideband or leave the boost alone.
Kind of what I was thinking, thanks Hozay. What kind of boost levels have you seen people run safely without the wideband?
Safely on stg 0 boost, I would recommend a 16 spike to 14 hold. Stage 1, 17-18 spike hold 15. Those are considered safe levels. As for the rasing boost w/out proper fuel is stupid comment, our injectors are NOT the same as DSM injector's. PVO did their homework when it came to fuel, this is why the PCM is designed to run so rich.

Old 11-10-2006, 01:21 AM
wordslayer
Captain

sooooo,,,,,,17-18 is safe on stage one. My question.....why do you have to have an mbc to run that? Wouldn't you just turn the screw on the wastegate and then watch your boost guage to make sure you don't over boost? I guess I don't see why you need the boost controller.

Old 11-10-2006, 02:31 PM
PSI Chick
Champion

a mbc will help lessen ptb, as well as give you more control over the boost levels. if you are planning on changing the boost, i HIGHLY suggest you get a wideband.

Old 11-11-2006, 04:59 AM
808srt
Rookie

so from what i have read so far it is un safe to run more boost with out a wide band but prepare yourself for a stupid question but what is a wide band and what does it do?

Old 11-11-2006, 05:16 PM
PSI Chick
Champion

a wideband measures your air/fuel ratios. it let's you know how lean or rich the car is running. if you run too far on either side, you can do some serious damage to the motor. running lean will do more damage quicker than running rich will (as you have to be running REALLY rich to do major damage). by installing a wideband it allows you to monitor a/f ratios at idle, while driving, and most importantly at wot.

i would suggest the innovative lc-1/xd-1 package. it has everything you need and can log as well.

Old 11-11-2006, 05:40 PM
hozay@N2MB
Professional

What Amy meant to say was the XD-16 is the complete kit but she get's an A for effort

Old 11-12-2006, 04:01 PM
PSI Chick
Champion

i have a lc-1/xd-1 and it's everything i need....so [sm=smarty.gif]

Quick Reply: are mod's a waste?