Neon SRT-4 Dodge Neon SRT-4 is the pocket rocket that took the import scene and turned it upside down.

are mod's a waste?

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2006, 12:36 AM
wordslayer
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default are mod's a waste?

Let's talk wastegates.

I have been thinking for some time now that I wouldn't mind trying a wastegate. I thought about the kinetic one.

Pro's:
1) More speed

Con's:
1) Part throttle boost
2) Installing the part with limited mechanical experience
3) Possibly being hard on the car
4) No clue how to do the vacuum lines on it (is there a harder word to spell than "vacuum?")

Addressing the cons:

1) The part throttle boost really can't be THAT bad, can it?
2) The new wastegate has to go on like the old one came out, right?
3) I am guessing that the part isn't really hard on the car, right?
4) If I run it on stock lines, will I still get the added power? Also, will it cause me to pull timing?

I don't know why, but I like the term "pull timing." If I were a mechanical guy, and if I hung around with mechanical friends, I would use that "pull timing" phrase a lot, because it really sounds like you know what you are doing. Come to think of it, I would really try to impress them and say something like, "Damn Bill....I spent all night working on my car, and by gawd, for the longest time my car was pulling timing, but after my working on it for the last hour and a half, I've now got her pushing timing."

Anyhow, before I get off on one of my tangents, do you all think the kinetic wastegate thing is the way to go? If it is more trouble than it's worth, just tell me.

Old 11-08-2006, 11:33 AM
Burnnout
All Star
Default RE: are mod's a waste?

What mods do you have as of now?

"...now got her pushing timing." lol

Old 11-08-2006, 03:09 PM
wordslayer
Captain

current mod's are:

1) Downpipe (Needswing) along with the e-cutout.
2) Stage One

That's my only performance mod's.

Old 11-08-2006, 03:14 PM
hozay@N2MB
Professional

I highly suggest combining both a wga with an aftermarket mbc or ebc. Helps alot with PTB. Best thing to remember is set the wga low and the mbc high, don't slam on the gas below 2600RPM and relearn how to drive. You won't be dissapointed.

If your looking for an affordable and VERY accomplished units go with the Kinetic MBC/WGA set up. For about $150 you have both.

Old 11-08-2006, 08:21 PM
mopar222
Veteran

PTB is a CON, why? My evo stock has wicked PTB and I love it compared to my srt. In my opion it drives better because of it. It will accelerate with only a hint of pedal, vs the full throttle needed for the srt.

Old 11-08-2006, 09:43 PM
wordslayer
Captain

Gotta have the MBC, huh? Hmmm. I'm leery enough to put the wastegate on, but adding an MBC would probably be outside of my range of comfort. Interesting hearing how part throttle boost isn't that hard to deal with, though.

Old 11-08-2006, 10:00 PM
Plan B
Captain

ORIGINAL: hozay@N2MB

I highly suggest combining both a wga with an aftermarket mbc or ebc. Helps alot with PTB. Best thing to remember is set the wga low and the mbc high, don't slam on the gas below 2600RPM and relearn how to drive. You won't be dissapointed.

If your looking for an affordable and VERY accomplished units go with the Kinetic MBC/WGA set up. For about $150 you have both.
Would you be in danger of running bad A/F ratios with this setup even with minor adjustments?

Old 11-09-2006, 12:33 AM
hozay@N2MB
Professional

Minor adjustments? No. Not if you boost properly. Spike 21psi and drop to 18, then yea your running lean. That's why I encourage folks who do purchase a MBC/WGA combo to set your boost at a safe, conservative level. If your unsure if you should be boosting too high, you do either one of two things. Purchase a wideband or leave the boost alone.

Mopar222, I really hope you have a wideband installed. If not, I wouldn't be bragging about it drives better. Your doing nothing but running your turbo lean.

Old 11-09-2006, 04:17 AM
Four Banger Anger
Professional

PTB is bad for the turbo and compressor because it makes it surge with to much throttle. Its only bad for the life of the turbo, if you tune your car with the wastegate you can get PTB all you want and wont damage the motor but only damage the turbo. If i was to do things over I would go straight big turbo because the driveability is amazing and the car runs that much better.

Jordan

Old 11-09-2006, 09:23 AM
talisman
Veteran

Let me see if I have this theory correct. I should set my WGA to spike around 14 and hold about 12 and THEN install my MBC, setting that to spike around a max of 17 ?

My car is a 2005 with Stage 1, a Stage 2 WGA, 62 mm throttle body, K & N FIPK, and the blue plate BOV. I want the car to be strong, avoiding PTB yet still able to boost and hold at least 14 in 3rd, 4th and 5th. Longevity is a major concern, with both the turbo and engine.

Another question, a dumber one, can you adjust the stage 2 WGA on the car with the heat shield on. I can loosen the locknut on it but can't turn the barrel very easily,. Am I looking for less preload ( I assume so ) and in order to get less preload I want to turn the barrel clockwise ? To check the WGA adjustment before putting the MBC on I can do a couple of 3rd and or 4th gear WOT pulls ? I purchased a TurboXS MBC and want to install it this weekend. That heat shield is a PITA.

I appreciate your help.

Quick Reply: are mod's a waste?