Neon SRT-4 Dodge Neon SRT-4 is the pocket rocket that took the import scene and turned it upside down.

trading in rt for srt and have ?'s

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2004, 10:44 PM
04BlackRT
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default trading in rt for srt and have ?'s

i am probably going to do this tommorow i found a used 04 with 1000miles on it and my wife gave it the ok. i just had a few questions though. i have ben reading a bit on hear and seen that alot of people doing the oil catch can and was wondering where i can get a cheap one and if there other little mods like that to preserve the engine etc. etc.
thanks

Old 07-29-2004, 11:04 PM
Dodgegirl19
Lady Administrator
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: trading in rt for srt and have ?'s

Congrats on the excellent find!! What color is the SRT4? I wonder why someone turned it in so soon... but who cares... it's yours now!!

~Amanda

Old 07-29-2004, 11:12 PM
04BlackRT

you know i dont recall the color[8D] either reb or blue i think thou

Old 07-29-2004, 11:59 PM
dustyloins
R.I.P. Dusty (Retired Moderator
Hall of Fame Member

Just flip back through the SRT-4 pages and you eventually will come upon the oil catch can thread. For less than $20 you'll keep oil out of of your intake. You may want to consider spark plug wire shrouds from Summit Racing for about $7 or go full bore with a set of MSD spark plug wires (the #4 stock wire tends to melt, being too close to the turbo)......those are the only "weak" areas on the SRT-4. Otherwise, it's pretty well thought out.....

Old 07-30-2004, 02:09 AM
04BlackRT

sweetness......i cant wait this car is sooo badass, i testdrove one once......during the winter when the tires actually gripped i was floored on how well it preformed

Old 07-30-2004, 02:11 AM
04BlackRT

oh yea i almost forgot the main reason for this thread, what about breaking in, it has 1,000 miles i know your not supposed to go over 4k and not to bring it up there to fast but for how many miles........

Old 07-30-2004, 04:53 AM
71RoadRunner
Legend

ORIGINAL: 04BlackRT
i have ben reading a bit on hear and seen that alot of people doing the oil catch can and was wondering where i can get a cheap one and if there other little mods like that to preserve the engine etc. etc.
You can get one at Auto Zone for $13.99, it's the Campbell Hausfeld All Purpose Mini Air Filter MP5138. You will also need the fittings and about 4' of hose as well. The other main thing is the plug wires. You can either get a heat shield, plug wire wraps or better plug wires. I highly recommend the plug wires, MSD Super Conductor plug wires, they will solve the problem as well as providing your spark plugs with over 100 times more spark energy.

ORIGINAL: Dodgegirl19
I wonder why someone turned it in so soon...
I know someone that turned his in after only a few hundred miles. He traded in his POS Integra for the SRT-4 and his girlfriend hit the roof, because they are trying to get financially fit enough to get a place together and the car payment as well as insurance was a little higher than mine. Needless to say she made him take it back and he ended up with a Neon SXT instead, much lower payments all around.

ORIGINAL: 04BlackRT
oh yea i almost forgot the main reason for this thread, what about breaking in, it has 1,000 miles i know your not supposed to go over 4k and not to bring it up there to fast but for how many miles........
Not quite. In fact, if you read the owners manual it says to run it good and hard. I think it's after the first 300 or 600 miles, I cannot recall which, it says that to help promote a good break in they recommend that you make full throttle runs in the higher gears within the limits of the law. They also say not to do this in the lower gears as it could be harmful and could actually hurt the break in. So you should be good to go full throttle from 3rd gear on up, but with 1,000+ miles on it you can have even more fun and I would at least wait until 1,500 miles before really having fun in 1st and 2nd.

Good luck with getting it[sm=smiley20.gif], and since you've already test drove one you already know how GREAT!!!! they are.[sm=smiley20.gif][sm=smiley4.gif][sm=smiley16.gif][sm=smiley2.gif]

Old 07-30-2004, 05:40 AM
04BlackRT

you just made my night............i cant wait, i have to be to the dealer in 7 hrs and havent slept yet, its gonna be x-mas in july for me

Old 07-30-2004, 07:24 AM
71RoadRunner
Legend

I know what you're saying, I was the same way when it came down to the night before I went to get my SRT-4. I don't think I slept so much as an hour that night. It was worth the lost sleep though.

Old 07-30-2004, 10:50 AM
dustyloins
R.I.P. Dusty (Retired Moderator
Hall of Fame Member

Hands down, the most "fun" car I've ever owned!!![sm=smiley20.gif]

Quick Reply: trading in rt for srt and have ?'s