New Member Area New to DF? Stop in tell us about yourself and your ride. Please post technical questions in the tech sections.

1st Project '84 Ram 250

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2008, 10:13 PM
MoJuice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1st Project '84 Ram 250

Hi, my name is Kirk. I have joined this forum because I would like to do something with a truck that I bought for my son. This was his first vehicle (1984 Dodge Ram 250 2wd) and I sure wish I still had my first vehicle. My son is away at MMI in Orlando for 2 years and I would like to save the truck for him when he gets out and has the money to do something with it. We purchased the truck for $3200 with around 100,000 mi. on it because it was as clean as I have ever seen. (When the guy took his license plate off, underneath it looked like he had just buffed it.) My son drove it for a short while and someone he knows sabotaged the engine. After purchasing a different vehicle for him I decided to put another engine in which cost me an additional $1500. I now have so much money into it that it wouldn't make sense to get rid of it. What I am trying to find out is how to do preventive bodywork to it to keep it from rotting away. It is extremely solid all over. Whoever painted it didn't do a great job because there are some pits and runs. So, I was thinking of sanding down the rockers and such to ensure they are not rusting and priming all the spots until I can comeup with the money to repaint it. I have 2 years to make something of this truck to give it to him for a graduation present. I was also wondering if anyone has made a 3/4 ton into a race truck or if it is simply too heavy. Thanks

Old 05-29-2008, 11:19 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
Default RE: 1st Project '84 Ram 250

Glad to meet ya and welcome!

Now I'm not the one on body you want to talk too, but on the engine there is some great fun you can do with it!

What motor are we talking about?

Old 05-30-2008, 12:05 AM
dustyloins
R.I.P. Dusty (Retired Moderator
Hall of Fame Member

Welcome to Dodge Forum, Kirk!! Enjoy the site!!

Dusty

Old 05-30-2008, 10:19 AM
MoJuice

ORIGINAL: hydrashocker

Glad to meet ya and welcome!

Now I'm not the one on body you want to talk too, but on the engine there is some great fun you can do with it!

What motor are we talking about?
It has the 360 in it.

Old 05-30-2008, 04:58 PM
#Red
Record Breaker
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Welcome to the dodge forum. Red

Old 05-30-2008, 08:39 PM
Midnight Runner
Champion

Welcome to D.Forum.

Old 06-01-2008, 12:03 AM
knurl

Hi Kirk,

I don't know where you are, but I'm from the Northeast where they use salt on the highways during winter. Once corrosion begins you're dealing with the devil. The pits and runs may not mean that it'll rot out on you, provided that the surface was properly prepared and primed.

But if the sheetmetal was pitted prior to the repaint, the only thing I've seen that always works toproperly remove the problem is a sandblaster and someone that knows how to use it. Brass brushes/wheels andsanding disks/paper will do the job if you cansmooth out the pit and remove all the oxidation, including that which moves laterally. I'm not familiar with your '84. Some newer steels and some steels from the 60's don't seem to haveas much of the problemdescribedabove.

Is there evidence (bubbles or paint discoloration) indicating that refinishing is needed? Can you keep the vehicle properly garaged or is it outside under a cover? The rockers are pitted but the bodyseams and door seams are not indicating a problem? The floorpans under the vehicle are OK? The calipers and wheel cylinders bleeder screws are in what condition?Is the axle and differential rusty?How does the frame look? How does the engine compartment look (seams especially)?

Inspect the entire vehicle carefullyand determine if refinishing is in order. If the undercarriage is getting rough, you'veprobably already lost the battle unless you do a frame up restoration.
My brother bought a '71 Cutlass 350 4bbl3.90 that had all the body panels, hood and trink lid,& doors replaced.

Underneath...

Old 06-01-2008, 07:39 AM
The Peddler
Record Breaker

Welcome to the forum!

Quick Reply: 1st Project '84 Ram 250