New Member Area New to DF? Stop in tell us about yourself and your ride. Please post technical questions in the tech sections.

New Dodge Gal

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2005, 07:52 PM
suvmom05
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Dodge Gal

Hello everyone! I'm new to the site and I was just checking things out and it seems that there are a lot of people who know a lot about these trucks and SUV's. That is very cool. I'm a 25 year old "soon to be mom" and I was trying to find out how safe the Dodge Durangos are. I also wanted to know the towing capability for the vehicle and what the differnece in packages were. I have the SLT Plus, but I saw an R/T on the lot and one that said 4x4 on the back. Now mine says that it is AWD with the option to go into 4low of 4high. I don't really know what all this means. I would like to get some advise and hopefully get my questions answered. Will some one let me know, please? Glad to talk to you all!

Old 06-20-2005, 07:54 PM
KMAPRO
Default RE: New Dodge Gal

Are you sure that you do not have an R/T?

I thought the only Durangos that were AWD were the R/T models.....I have an 02 Durango R/T and I have the option of switching from AWD/4 HI/4 LO....

Old 06-20-2005, 09:15 PM
ViperGTS
Banned

Hello and Welcome!! From what I know about the Durango, they seem to be very safe vehicles. The only concern may be with the ball joints where in a few cases, the wheel eventually fell of the vehicle.

-Matt-

Old 06-20-2005, 11:48 PM
moparturd
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The first generation Durangos had the ball joint problems. If you are talking about the newest model, then they are quite safe and thus far, don't have the ball joint issues.

Welcome to Dodge Forum too.

Old 06-21-2005, 07:12 PM
suvmom05

I'm not sure if it is the R/T. It does not say it on the Durango anywhere. The back only says SLT. This is what I have been trying to find out. Im not a car genius and I don't really have friends that know too much about the Durangos. Thank You for responding to my post. Your Durango sounds really cool. Yes, I agree about the gas mileage! I just want to make sure that the Durangos don't have the roll over problem like the Fords. It really does worry me. Thanks again. Good Luck getting your monster truck!

Old 06-21-2005, 07:18 PM
suvmom05

Mopartodd, how will I know if the ball joints are going bad? I know a little about cars, but not enough to tell things like that. I got a very good warranty through the dealer and it says it covers everything. Now I know that does not means brakes or tires or anything like that, but are ball joints supposed to be covered? I was just wondering also, when do the ball joints start to wear out? My Durango has 39,000 miles on it and it is a 2003. Could this be a problem soon? Will you let me know? Thank You and nice to meet you.

Old 06-22-2005, 11:39 AM
moparturd
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hopefully yours was repaired during the recent recall. On my 2001 Dakota, it would make a heavy clunking sound when turning sharply at low speeds, like turning into a parking space or something like that. Your mechanic can check them for play in just a couple minutes if you suspect anything. Hope this helps.

Old 06-22-2005, 01:38 PM
ramfan5.9
Hall Of Fame

also to check for bad ball joint you can do what the guys at the inspection station do

jack up the front end of your car like an inch off the ground and ger a crow bar, place the flat end under your tire move it up and down, if you notice some play chances are your ball joints are going

Quick Reply: New Dodge Gal