New Member Area New to DF? Stop in tell us about yourself and your ride. Please post technical questions in the tech sections.

If Your A Newbie, Post And Introduce Yourself

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2008, 04:47 PM
FallnLord
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: If Your A Newbie, Post And Introduce Yourself

Helloooooooo my name is Justini live in Delaware =D i drive a dodge neon just bought it and it would be my first dodge, if this signature thingy works it will explain everything about my car and future plans for my car TY TY

Old 03-24-2008, 05:03 PM
dustyloins
R.I.P. Dusty (Retired Moderator
Hall of Fame Member

Welcome to Dodge Forum, Justin!! Enjoy the site!!

Dusty

Old 03-24-2008, 06:02 PM
ARBSeth

Hey there!

Seth Green, Western Sales Manager for ARB 4x4 Accessories here in Seattle. I just bought my 07 1500 and built her up for a feature in Off Road Magazine in the next few months. We're making new bumpers, suspension and lockers for the Dodge now, so I thought I would drop in here and help spread the word and maybe answer some questions...here are a couple shots of the new girl...Name:  08sethsample02.jpg
Views: 33
Size:  83.7 KB

Name:  08sethsample05.jpg
Views: 35
Size:  54.1 KB

Old 03-24-2008, 07:25 PM
pit_advocate

Hello all!!

My name is Bob, I'm new to DF and new to the World of Mopar. I've been a chevy man since I could drive, and over the past ten years my dad has bought Dodge trucks, all Cummins powered. I'm 29 and just last year traded my GMC pickup and my Chevy Tahoe in for my 1500 Quad Cab. I love the new truck, it's a 2005 but it's new to me. Only had 16,000 miles when I picked it up. It's a 4.7L, kinda wish I would have gone for the 5.7L, but I've been making some changes with a few bolt-on's and look forward to a few more complicated additions for more horse power. I look forward to all the upcoming discussions......later

Bob

Old 03-24-2008, 09:41 PM
keitholivier

Hi Just purchased my first truck ever ! Got a 2005 Regular Cab 1500 3.7 V62wd with 6 speed manual tranny for $9k with 35k miles on the clock. It is a basic work truck with no luxuriesbesides the heating and air conditioning. Black vinyl seats. I want to retrofit cruise control, seems like a simple enough job. I searched the country for a basic 2wd truck and in fact finally found quite a few so refined my search to get something closer to home than Texas.... I burn wood in winter, so I needed a more practical hauling vehicle than my Chevy Cobalt and my wife and I like to go on vacation out west in the rockies. I hope to find a camper conversion that I can swap out for the loadbox on an annual basis.

My wife and I drove to a small town just north of Cincinnati OH to pick up the truck. Had really bad weather on the drive down last friday with snow and ice. Saw at least 10 trashed cars on I69 north of Ft Wayne. Stayed overnight in Ft Wayne and woke up Saturday to 1/4" of ice on everything. Getting out of Ft Wayne was pretty hairy, but from that point conditions got better and better as we went farther south.

The truck was sold by an officialDodge dealer. I ran a carfax before I left and it indicated that the vehicled had been serviced at 35k by the dealer who had it for sale. So on my initial inspection I was very surprised to find black dirty oil and a dirty air filter. There was also a problem with the air bags (light wouldn't extinguish) but it had nothing to do with the passenger side disable switch. Of course at that point the service dept was closed, so after some haggling the salesman gave me $30 cash towards getting an oil change at the local Jiffy Lube. It was claimed that the airbag issue was a warranty claim (wonder why they didn't fix it since the vehicle hit their lot in November 2007 ?) Frankly I find the entry on the carfax report that the vehicle was serviced is plain fraud, but at least they covered most of the cost of an oil/filter change.

The drive home was uneventful. Did a fuel consumption calc today and I got 16.5mpg over the 290 mile drive with a little commuting thrown in too. I'm not a "macho" man and I find the exhaust / intake noise to be a drone on longer trips and I will be silencing the damm thing so that I can have my peace and quiet..... Will probably drop ina Tundra muffler, they are pretty nice.

For anyone interested (I'm sure this is not the "hottest" thread..) I am actuall involved in exhaust / catalyst design and manufacture in my day job. Our company builds the vast majority of catalyst and exhaust systems for full size trucks. I specifically relocated from Germany to the US to develop the soot filter systems for 2007 and later diesel trucks. Now I'm working on the NOx reduction systems for diesels from 2010 model year.

I have seen many comments on fuel consumption and the basics are 1) drag 2) weight 3) air/fuel ratio. Depending on what you use your truck for, there may not be much one can do about weight. Drag is determined by speed, first and foremost. Secondary issues are height (lift kits are bad, and 4x4 adds to overall height) and then comes drivetrain (auto, 4x4 drivetrain, tire diameter and width).

Finally there is air/fuel ratio. For $200 one can get a sensor with signal conditioner and display. An exhaust shop will have to install a boss in the exhaust downstream of the catalyst to allow the wideband O2 sensor to be installed. Keeping track of the air/fuel ratio is very important in determining how well the ECU is working to manage fuel consumption when in cruise. Anytime you gas the truck the mixture is enriched, but part throttle should allow for the mixture to be leaned without creating any engine durability issues.

However one wishes to see it, it takes a certain amount of power to move a truck that weighs X lbs down the road at Ymph. Whether that power comes out of a V6, V8 or V10 is of no consequence other than that the bigger motors are heavier and require heavier transmissions and axles. If it is true that Hemi's get better mileage than the 3.7 V6 then it is a calibration issue that could be fixed by installing a Megasquirt ECU for less than $500 which can be self tuning when used with a wideband O2 sensor.

Attached is a chart from a US gov web site on fuel efficiency..

[IMG]local://upfiles/86794/95594F8B409644049330C42982173DE2.jpg[/IMG]

Old 03-25-2008, 11:55 AM
dustyloins
Hall of Fame Member

Welcome everyone, to Dodge Forum!! Enjoy the site!!

Dusty

Old 03-25-2008, 06:34 PM
tripster07ak
Rookie

Hey Everyone.
Im new to DF but iv been around on CustomDakota.com & Dakota-Durango.com.
Just figured id join up on here since iv got a new 2008 Dodge Ram 3500 MegaCab with the 6.7L Turbo Deisle.
Any Alaska Members on here?

Old 03-25-2008, 07:06 PM
Skummy
Default RE: If Your A Newbie, Post And Int

Hi,
My name is Greg i own a 2003 Ram1500 4wd Hemi.I have been a DF member for awhile now and thought it was about time to introduce myself. i Have been heavley modifieng my truck since the day i bout in April of 2003. Take it easy,Greg

Old 03-25-2008, 07:58 PM
silverbullettlwb04

Hello Everyone,

I have an 04 Ram Diesel w/ the Banks cold air intake, and Banks PDA programmer. Always looking for advice on what to do next performance wise.

Old 03-25-2008, 08:47 PM
dustyloins
Hall of Fame Member

Welcome Gregg and Pat to Dodge Forum!! Enjoy the site!!

Dusty

Quick Reply: If Your A Newbie, Post And Introduce Yourself